View Poll Results: Should be on welfare be allowed to vote?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    99 82.50%
  • No

    15 12.50%
  • Other

    7 5.83%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    11 9.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 756

Thread: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

  1. #401
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    If that is what you got out of my posts, that's too bad. I honestly don't know how to explain it any better, most especially to people who get it that wrong.
    Of course it couldn't possibly be you that's wrong. Nope. Not at all.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #402
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Of course it couldn't possibly be you that's wrong. Nope. Not at all.
    Of course I could be wrong. But I don't believe I am wrong on the point I have been arguing. That you have yet to represent correctly or accurately.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #403
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,861

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But that has never happened has it. Because in a system like ours in which everybody's unalienable rights are recognized and defended, the more prosperous everybody else is, the more we can prosper. So there is not that much incentive to deny property to anybody else. There was concern on the part of some of the Founders that property would be concentrated in the hands of a few. But in a free market system it just hasn't happened because there is too much profit to be had in buying and selling property.
    Really? That's never happened? I suppose that's why they had to amend the Constitution to outlaw poll taxes.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #404
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But that has never happened has it. Because in a system like ours in which everybody's unalienable rights are recognized and defended, the more prosperous everybody else is, the more we can prosper. So there is not that much incentive to deny property to anybody else.
    That is the biggest bunch of bull**** ever. My own brother was being threatened with being locked up for he rest of his life in an institution when he didn't even lose his first tooth. That was a little over 20 years ago. What a bunch of crap you're spewing.

    No incentive my ass. We had to fight like hell because the incentive was there every damn day, and he theoretically had constitutional protections. Didn't matter then.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #405
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Really? That's never happened? I suppose that's why they had to amend the Constitution to outlaw poll taxes.
    Poll taxes had something to do with buying and selling property? Gee. Who knew?
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #406
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    That is the biggest bunch of bull**** ever. My own brother was being threatened with being locked up for he rest of his life in an institution when he didn't even lose his first tooth. That was a little over 20 years ago. What a bunch of crap you're spewing.

    No incentive my ass. We had to fight like hell because the incentive was there every damn day, and he theoretically had constitutional protections. Didn't matter then.
    I'm sure in your mind you see this as being somehow relative to the argument I'm making here. But I sure don't see it.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #407
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I'm sure in your mind you see this as being somehow relative to the argument I'm making here. But I sure don't see it.
    When you have to fight like hell to ensure them being able to actually *live* in society you can sure as heck understand that the programs they rely on to live also prevent them from growing any savings at all, which prevents them from getting property. Then there's the laws that actually prevented them from voting.

    There's no argument that society intrinsically respects their human rights let alone their right to own property when we already have the history and existing public policies in place to prevent that from occurring.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #408
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    When you have to fight like hell to ensure them being able to actually *live* in society you can sure as heck understand that the programs they rely on to live also prevent them from growing any savings at all, which prevents them from getting property. Then there's the laws that actually prevented them from voting.

    There's no argument that society intrinsically respects the right to own property when we already have the history and existing public policies in place to prevent that from occurring.
    I am not saying there have not been other issues or that some people have trouble acquiring sufficient wealth to buy property. I have been in that exact circumstance myself. That is a different argument and a different discussion from the one I have been making however. Those who do have the wherewithal to buy property can almost always find property to buy. THAT is the argument I was making. Refute it if you can.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  9. #409
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I am not saying there have not been other issues or that some people have trouble acquiring sufficient wealth to buy property. That is a different argument and a different discussion from the one I have been making however. Those who do have the wherewithal to buy property can almost always find property to buy. THAT is the argument I was making. Refute it if you can.
    Sure. Try to do that as a disabled person who needs services.

    How do I know? Because my brother until just recently, had no hope whatsoever of being ALLOWED to save up any money in order to buy his own home.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #410
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,441

    re: Should people on welfare be allowed to vote?[W:504]

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Not at all. In fact that's a pretty good way of looking at it. I wouldn't want people who disagree with me to represent me, so why would I want people who disagree with me to vote on who gets to represent me?



    Excuse the language, but LBJ would seem to disagree with you.

    Given that LBJ was a firm believer in civil rights, that he signed both the Civil Rights act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, your first quote is probably pure crap.

    Your second LBJ quote comes from a third hand source. Someone who claimed in a book that LBJ said it in a private meeting with two southern governors. There's no corroboration whatsoever so in short it's hearsay. Additionally LBJ worried that by signing the Civil Rights Act he would alienate the south and have them vote Republican, not Democratic. He was right about that. The south has reliably voted Republican since 1964. So I'd guess your second quote is pure crap as well.

    At least your honest though about what you want. You want people who share your views to the exclusion of all else in power and are willing to deny the vote to everyone who disagrees with you to get it. That will only if you go find an uninhabited rock somewhere are proclaim yourself dictator. Good luck with that.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •