View Poll Results: Obama as Hillary's running mate

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 3.03%
  • No

    20 60.61%
  • Violates the Constitution Yes

    8 24.24%
  • Violates the Constitution -No

    10 30.30%
  • Dems win in a landslide

    1 3.03%
  • Voters will rebel if Obama is on the ticket

    7 21.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 101

Thread: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

  1. #61
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,811

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I do not see anything in the Constitution that prevents that. He is only prevented from directly being elected again to the Presidency.
    This wording, from your post #53:

    “…no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.”

    would suggest to me that even though he could serve as Speaker of the House, he would be ineligible to move up because he's ineligible to hold the office of President now that he's been elected to two terms.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  2. #62
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,230

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning F&L

    In fairness it was also a Canadian who created the OP and started the thread. But it gave liberals a tingle so it's not all bad.


    I realized that after I posted, and JANFU has no obligation to know the line of succession.

    And yes it gave liberals a tingle AND showed a lot more.

    Imagine, CJ, now please be seated for your own saftey, a ticket of Clinton-Clinton, and then start thinking about Canadian foreign policy in that regard.....
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  3. #63
    A sinister place...
    OrphanSlug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,860

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Because of the interest in this, I asked friend of mine who studied Constitutional Law to help as I had plenty of question on this myself.

    He said it comes down to "general interpretation" by reading all of the Constitution including all the Amendments as one context (even if one changes something.) The qualifications for Vice President for this subject are the same as President, so all that is left is the interpretation of "to run for" vs. "to serve." But from a standpoint of consistency and intention of these Articles it seems clear there was no intention for a two term President to turn around and "serve" as Vice President.

    That analysis seems to be most consistent with the spirit of the Constitution and the supporting documentation of the period on the anti-aristocratic sentiment shared by the authors. To get around that someone would have to craft a good argument that speaks precisely against why these Articles were phrased as they were. It was his opinion that was not likely to happen.
    "Every time something really bad happens, people cry out for safety, and the government answers by taking rights away from good people." - Penn Jillette.

  4. #64
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,811

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    I realized that after I posted, and JANFU has no obligation to know the line of succession.

    And yes it gave liberals a tingle AND showed a lot more.

    Imagine, CJ, now please be seated for your own saftey, a ticket of Clinton-Clinton, and then start thinking about Canadian foreign policy in that regard.....
    Why not go for the all girl tag team of Hillary and Chelsea? Bill could be the Ambassador to Hell.
    A Canadian conservative is one who believes in limited government and that the government should stay out of our wallets and out of our bedrooms.

  5. #65
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,433

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    He'd have been impeached and removed from office by now; probably during his first term.
    For? Seriously, I want to know what crimes were committed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  6. #66
    Living in Gods country



    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,984

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Good morning F&L

    In fairness it was also a Canadian who created the OP and started the thread. But it gave liberals a tingle so it's not all bad.
    It also sends discussion into what the 2 amendments mean. As noted in this link, even Constitutional scholars are divided.
    And we all know it would be off to SCOTUS.

    Hillary Clinton Barack Obama Vice President | The New Republic


    Iíll grant that if Democrats nominate Barack Obama to be their vice presidential candidate next year, it would be somewhat controversial. But here Democrats can borrow tactically from the literal-minded conservatives who have seized on syntactic oddities to unravel Obamaís domestic agenda. As a purely textual matter, the Constitution merely prohibits Obama from being elected to a third term. It doesnít necessarily prohibit him from actually being president again, should Hillary Clinton no longer be able to serve. And were he on the ticket, Clintonís potential liabilities with Obama loyalists would disappear.
    FindLaw's Writ - Dorf: The Case For A Gore-clinton Ticket
    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    The damage to the black community from all this will be devastating.
    Not only on public perception and reputation, but cops simply won't want to police these neighborhoods anymore.
    The shooter was later found to be white.

  7. #67
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,708

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Yeah that's why the Republican controlled House passed all sorts of impeachment proceedings.
    These days, establishment republicans are afraid of their own shadow. Obama would just about have to be caught raping girl scouts before the republicans would start impeachment proceedings. Having said that, it is just not worth it. There have been two impeached presidents in this nation's history. If Nixon had not resigned, there would be three. The two are Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton(Hillary's philandering spouse). Neither of them were convicted in the Senate and thrown out of office.


    I really don't think there would be half as many conservatives if it weren't for the persecution complex.
    Here you are in your own way in this thread accusing conservatives of partisanship, yet you appear to be the most partisan poster on the thread.

  8. #68
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,433

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You have to admit, if modern day Hillary Clinton was back in Nixon's time and she deleted scads of her emails - let's substitute tapes, since emails didn't exist back then, she'd have been strung up and serving time in prison. Nixon retained all his damning recorded evidence and several administration officials served time because of it. It's possible, the Washington Post back then wouldn't have been interested in going after a high ranking Democrat, but it was a different time when illegal actions by politicians, once known, weren't just disregarded as politics.
    Except that we don't know what the e-mails contained. Do we need to see the blow by blow of her grandkid's diapers? Some have conjectured that it contained evidence of something, but at this point it's jist conjecture. It would have been very hard to pin anything on Nixon if the tapes had been erased because there would be no evidence or wrongdoing. Which is where we are with Hillary - political adversaries conjecture that there was evidence destroyed, but there's no evidence.

    That said, I wouldn't put it past her. There's also no office to remove her from, so it comes down to if the GOP can make the accusation stick. Outside of the true believers, that'll be almost impossible.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  9. #69
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    29,433

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Here you are in your own way in this thread accusing conservatives of partisanship, yet you appear to be the most partisan poster on the thread.

    I'm not the one saying that a President should be impeached because I disagree with him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I smell hosiery....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I call my wife a slut

  10. #70
    Sage

    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,708

    Re: A Modest Proposal: Barack Obama Should Be Hillary Clinton's Running Mate

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I think there's a subtle difference that you are disregarding. The Twenty-Second Amendment says…

    No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.

    It doesn't say that such a person is ineligible to be President again, only that he is ineligible from being elected President. I just don't see anything in this wording that prohibits him from being elected to any other position, which would put him in the line of succession to the Presidency, nor of assuming the Presidency if those ahead of him in that line are unable to do so.

    And the Twelfth Amendment does not say, as you claim it does, that one who is ineligible to run for President, or to be elected President cannot run for Vice President. It says that “…no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.”


    You are assuming that being ineligible to be elected President means that one is ineligible to hold the office of President. Your assumption seems logical on its face, but given that there are other ways to become President than by being directly elected into that position, the wording of the Constitution just does not support this assumption.
    Perhaps the following will help:


    usconstitution.net
    U.S. Constitution
    Site Menu

    The Constitution (7)
    Constitution for Kids (5)
    Amendments (21)
    Bill of Rights (11)
    Founding Fathers (5)
    Constitutional Topics (11)

    Search website


    Popular Pages

    U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online



    Constitutional Topic: Presidential Line of Succession


    The Constitutional Topics pages at the USConstitution.net site are presented to delve deeper into topics than can be provided on the Glossary Page or in the FAQ pages. This Topic Page concerns the Presidential Line of Succession. The Line of Succession is mentioned in two places in the Constitution; in Article 2, Section 1, and the 25th Amendment. The Topic Page for the Presidential Disability is also of interest.

    The 25th Amendment reiterates what is stated in Article 2, Section 1: that the Vice President is the direct successor of the President. He or she will become President if the President cannot serve for whatever reason. The 25th also provides for a President who is temporarily disabled, such as if the President has a surgical procedure or if he or she become mentally unstable.

    The original Constitution provides that if neither the President nor Vice President can serve, the Congress shall provide law stating who is next in line. Currently that law exists as 3 USC 19, a section of the U.S. Code. This law was established as part of the Presidential Succession Act of 1947. There, the following line of succession is provided:

    Speaker of the House of Representatives
    President Pro Tempore of the Senate
    Secretary of State
    Secretary of the Treasury
    Secretary of Defense
    Attorney General
    Secretary of the Interior
    Secretary of Agriculture
    Secretary of Commerce
    Secretary of Labor
    Secretary of Health and Human Services
    Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
    Secretary of Transportation
    Secretary of Energy
    Secretary of Education
    Secretary of Veterans Affairs
    Secretary of Homeland Security

    The only exception to the line provided in the law states that to ascend to the Presidency, the next person in line must be constitutionally eligible. Any person holding an office in the line of succession who, for example, is not a naturally-born citizen cannot become President. In this case, that person would be skipped and the next eligible person in the line would become President.


    http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_succ.html

    Notice that last paragraph. That pretty much shoots down the suggestion that any two term president can make it back into the white house by line of succession from congress. A two term president definitely falls into the category of "not constitutionally eligible.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •