View Poll Results: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 38.98%
  • No

    27 45.76%
  • Other

    9 15.25%
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 267

Thread: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

  1. #131
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,185

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    So when confronted with the facts that insects are animals and have the ability to experience pain and suffering... they are "psychotic."

    So where do insects fall on this scale? Probably further away from mammals and even cephalopods. But how do you KNOW? We donít. New studies are coming out and it will be exciting to follow them.

    As of right now the animal testing regulations draw a line between vertebrates and non-vertebrates (with the exceptions of some cephalopods). I do not think any research to date warrants a discussion of moving the line, but at the same time I do not think we should rule out the possibility that insects are capable of pain, albeit through different neurological pathways.
    - Relax. I'm an Entomologist | Do insects feel pain?

    So again I ask...

    Just the cute fuzzy ones?
    Aren't you drawing your own arbitrary line between companion animals (which should be protected from abuse) and livestock (**** them, it their own fault that they taste so good)?

  2. #132
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,185

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Because there is, or was, the potential to understand rights. Animals are dumb, there's no point giving them rights.
    I don't think animals are dumb at all. They may have a different type of understanding and intelligence but that doesn't make them "dumb".

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,464

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    I don't think animals should necessarily have rights, but I believe animal cruelty should be illegal and endangered species protected.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #134
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:08 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,185

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    What line of thinking would that be? Humans are omnivores, and we eat meat and plants. We are not going to give up our meat supply because a few yokels feel bad about it.
    Right. Why should we have ever given up bear baiting and dog fighting because of the sensiblities of a few yokels?


    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    No it's not. It's like the idiots who try and compare humans children for the same reason... they are still humans.
    Wasn't the argument made that animals are "dumb" and for that reason alone, they have no rights (which, if true, means they have no right to protection). It's a valid point to then point out that there are plenty of humans who are "dumb" as well.

  5. #135
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,806

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Aren't you drawing your own arbitrary line between companion animals (which should be protected from abuse) and livestock (**** them, it their own fault that they taste so good)?
    No. I have no idea where you came up with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am 67 years old. I was raised to mean what you say and say what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #136
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,806

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Right. Why should we have ever given up bear baiting and dog fighting because of the sensiblities of a few yokels?
    When did we give those up? We made them illegal, huge difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Wasn't the argument made that animals are "dumb" and for that reason alone, they have no rights (which, if true, means they have no right to protection). It's a valid point to then point out that there are plenty of humans who are "dumb" as well.
    Yes by Spud. Animals are dumb, this is just one of the reasons not to give them "rights." They are not and will never be human is another.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am 67 years old. I was raised to mean what you say and say what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #137
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,806

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I don't think animals are dumb at all. They may have a different type of understanding and intelligence but that doesn't make them "dumb".
    Is a 5 or 6 year old dumb? Because the smartest animal on planet earth is about that smart. Has nothing to do with a "different type of understanding." The vast majority of what we call animals are quite stupid or dumb by human standards. I will use the alligator for example. Here is an animal that can grow up to 12 feet long. It's brain is the size of a marble. Not much going on there but instinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am 67 years old. I was raised to mean what you say and say what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #138
    Don't give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,067

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    What do you feel dictates over consumption of meat?
    Seconds??

  9. #139
    King Of The Dog Pound

    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,806

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Seconds??
    That fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I am 67 years old. I was raised to mean what you say and say what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #140
    Don't give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,067

    Re: Should animals have more rights/protection/etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    That fast!
    Seconds, as in second helping.

    Are pictures required for you?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •