View Poll Results: Will you vote for Hillary as our next President

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 23.02%
  • No

    97 76.98%
Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 539

Thread: Will you vote for Hillary as our next President? [W:302]

  1. #401
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    The standard response when the minimum wage increase is raised is either cutting the payroll, by way of layoffs, less hiring, or significantly raising the price of the product or service they sell.
    It depends how large the increase in the minimum wage is. I have seen the minimum wage go from $1.25/hr. back in the 60's (I worked in a gas station for $1.00 / hr back then), up to todays $7.25/hr. I have never heard of significant layoffs, significantly reduced hiring plans, or significantly higher product prices due to a modest increase in the minimum wage. As long as the increases in the minimum wage are modest and spaced out over time, they are accommodated by business. The price of most products rise over time because there is a general inflation process in the country anyhow. A barrel of oil has gone from $10 in the 60's to $55 today (but its been as high as 147 and spent significant time over 100 a barrel), a dr. visit from $15 to $75, a 2000 sq. ft house from 35K to 135K, and a Whopper from $1 to $4.

    What bothers me is any attempt to raise the min. wage too far too fast, to catch up for failing to raise it for long periods of time in the recent past. Going from 7.25 to 10.10 in a year is unreasonable, because it is so far outside the standard rate of inflation that it would disrupt the system. That type of increase should probably be spaced in annually over 5 years. As far as going to $15 per hour, I don't see that as reasonable at all in the foreseeable future. That would be too big a shock to the system IMO.

  2. #402
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    I need some help answering the OP's question
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #403
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,198

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    In the start up phase, you can lose the business simply through turn over, the cost of hiring is so large.

    And in most businesses today, payroll is the largest single cost and detriment to profit. No other cost, interest rates, supplies, security contributes even half as much

    The greater the 'support' or non-productive staff [those not directly involved with the product/service set] the greater the profit decline. In some cases, one lazy worker can make the difference if everyone has jobs next week or not

    You can halt Amerikan liberals in their tracks my making them define "rich". Every idol they have will fall well within their definition. They hate easily and blindly
    I was especially amused by his suggestion that employers do not put profits back into the business. Where does he think the cash flow for payroll and operating funds comes from?

  4. #404
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,198

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by finebead View Post
    It depends how large the increase in the minimum wage is. I have seen the minimum wage go from $1.25/hr. back in the 60's (I worked in a gas station for $1.00 / hr back then), up to todays $7.25/hr. I have never heard of significant layoffs, significantly reduced hiring plans, or significantly higher product prices due to a modest increase in the minimum wage. As long as the increases in the minimum wage are modest and spaced out over time, they are accommodated by business. The price of most products rise over time because there is a general inflation process in the country anyhow. A barrel of oil has gone from $10 in the 60's to $55 today (but its been as high as 147 and spent significant time over 100 a barrel), a dr. visit from $15 to $75, a 2000 sq. ft house from 35K to 135K, and a Whopper from $1 to $4.

    What bothers me is any attempt to raise the min. wage too far too fast, to catch up for failing to raise it for long periods of time in the recent past. Going from 7.25 to 10.10 in a year is unreasonable, because it is so far outside the standard rate of inflation that it would disrupt the system. That type of increase should probably be spaced in annually over 5 years. As far as going to $15 per hour, I don't see that as reasonable at all in the foreseeable future. That would be too big a shock to the system IMO.
    I don't have a problem with small increases over time. However I have seen even small increases have a negative effect. It is not just the cost associated with giving the minimum wage employees a raise. Most employers consider it fair to give their higher wage employees an increase as well.

  5. #405
    Randian PUA
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    01-11-17 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    58,787

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I was especially amused by his suggestion that employers do not put profits back into the business. Where does he think the cash flow for payroll and operating funds comes from?
    From revenue

    Revenues expended on payroll and other expenses are not "profit"

    This is Accounting 101 level info.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #406
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,880

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I was especially amused by his suggestion that employers do not put profits back into the business. Where does he think the cash flow for payroll and operating funds comes from?
    Replacement for that desk you just ruined. The pens and note pads your staff uses, the coffee you provide....?

    And how about paying for the materials you need in advance of a sale? The investment in training new employees...

    Nah, all we do is sit around in secret rooms talking about how we can screw the little guy without having to count beans.

    This is all just new words for what used to be "more or we strike", more for less work, and no accountability for quality. the concept is over 100 years old, a pig with really hot lipstick and stiletto heels.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  7. #407
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    I was especially amused by his suggestion that employers do not put profits back into the business. Where does he think the cash flow for payroll and operating funds comes from?
    Money comes from sales of your product/service (after the initial investment). Profit = Sales - Cost Of Sales. Payroll is a Cost Of Sale item or, in other words, an operating expense not an investment.

    Payroll is NOT investing in the business - it is simply meeting an operating expense. You do not grow your business by simply hiring more folks, or by paying the one's that you have now more money. Let's say that your business is cutting grass - are you likely to get more business productivity by paying your employees more or by supplying them with better (faster) trimmers, mowers and blowers instead? In order to compete, or to gain market share, you must do more (provide better goods/services) or the same for a lower cost than the competition - paying folks more or simply hiring more employees (absent excess demand) is not the answer.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #408
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,198

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Replacement for that desk you just ruined. The pens and note pads your staff uses, the coffee you provide....?

    And how about paying for the materials you need in advance of a sale? The investment in training new employees...

    Nah, all we do is sit around in secret rooms talking about how we can screw the little guy without having to count beans.

    This is all just new words for what used to be "more or we strike", more for less work, and no accountability for quality. the concept is over 100 years old, a pig with really hot lipstick and stiletto heels.
    Perhaps they think that corporations have a money tree on the back 40.

  9. #409
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,198

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Money comes from sales of your product/service (after the initial investment). Profit = Sales - Cost Of Sales. Payroll is a Cost Of Sale item or, in other words, an operating expense not an investment.

    Payroll is NOT investing in the business - it is simply meeting an operating expense. You do not grow your business by simply hiring more folks, or by paying the one's that you have now more money. Let's say that your business is cutting grass - are you likely to get more business productivity by paying your employees more or by supplying them with better (faster) trimmers, mowers and blowers instead? In order to compete, or to gain market share, you must do more (provide better goods/services) or the same for a lower cost than the competition - paying folks more or simply hiring more employees (absent excess demand) is not the answer.
    Payroll is investing in the business if you make good use of labor. Hiring a new employee with a needed skill set certainly can make you more money.

  10. #410
    Sometimes wrong
    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,760

    Re: Will you vote for Hillary as ourr next President?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Payroll is investing in the business if you make good use of labor. Hiring a new employee with a needed skill set certainly can make you more money.
    That is exactly why I included the "absent excess demand" caveat - obviously, if you lack something (somebody?) in demand then filling that void (creating that position?) is a good move.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •