View Poll Results: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I vote straight ticket Democrat.

    4 7.84%
  • It's the GOP for me every time.

    2 3.92%
  • I vote the person, not the party.

    38 74.51%
  • They all suck, I don't vote (or some other answer).

    7 13.73%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66

Thread: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

  1. #21
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,194

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    In the last election in 2014, I voted for my GOP congressman in the primary against the TEA loon as well as in the general he won.
    It's important to keep sane, normal GOPs in the House--as their numbers have thinned out.

    In 1972, I voted for our GOP Senator Percy for the first of three times--he lost to Sen. Simon in 1984.
    How many more examples would you like--that I voted against President Carter twice?

    For the most part, the GOP lost me with their tax cuts to the rich in 1983 and the first 400+ billion deficits we ever had.
    Deficits that would be equal to 1.6 trillion in today's numbers and began what we have now--an 18 trillion dollar deficit.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post


    So, straight ticket Democrat, no doubt.
    I have never voted a straight ticket--not that I have to justify that to you.
    That was a pretty partisan cheap shot .
    You're Welcome .

  2. #22
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,362

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    There are two kinds of straight ticket voters:

    1) People who vote for a party in order to vote against the other party.
    2) People who vote for a party because it most matches their own ideology.

    Though it might sometimes be difficult to discern between the two types, we can often see the difference here at DP. The first group I have no respect for... they are actually not voting FOR anything. They are just voting destructively. The second group I have no issue with. They are voting for the ideology that they match up with.

    As for me, it has depended. When I was much younger, I never voted for a major party, and in any major elections, I usually voted for myself, writing my name in.
    Why does that not surprise me? Lol.

    Later on, I tended to vote Democrat as Democrats come closest to supporting where I stand on many issues, though not all. Presently, it is somewhat mixed, especially when it comes to voting for someone in my state. Though Democrats are more likely to get my vote because they support the positions that I support, how well a candidate has done in his term of office carries a LOT of weight with me. For that reason, even though I said here at DP I never would, in the lat gubernatorial election, I voted for Chris Christie. He's done a good job, and even though there are a few things of which I disagree with him, I wanted to support him for the good work he's done.
    But voting a straight ticket means you're voting entirely on party lines completely regardless of the person (or type of person) you're voting for. That guy that you just heard in the news that was found in hotel room with a dead hooker? Yeah that was Congressman Crook and you just cast your vote for him solely based on the letter he has by his name. Sorry, yes, I think that's lazy.

  3. #23
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,921

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Be honest. If you've never voted for someone from the "other" party (or you've done it so infrequently that it pretty much doesn't matter, like you can think of that one time 30 years ago that you did, etc.), you are a straight ticket voter and just own it. You're hardly alone. The majority of voters vote a straight Democrat ticket where I live and, in other Texas cities, most vote a straight Republican ticket. In fact, it's funny. Where I live, the GOP laments that kind of voting (which I agree with) but promotes it anywhere Repubs are the majority...but I digress. If you're constantly lamenting the other side as being "cold hearted" or the "empty headed", why should there be a reluctance to admit that you'd never cast your vote for someone you percieve that way? So just be real.

    getting the poll together
    At least on the national level, yes. Reason being, nearly all of my votes have been purely defensive. I was voting against a candidate with stances I find regressive and degrading. As often as the Democrats offend my sense of sincerity and philosophy, they don't often offend my sense of humanity, so Democrats it is. However, I have never found myself completely at home in the Democratic house, and at this point in my life I am not even sure I belong to the liberal spectrum anymore (although honestly I would argue whether Democratic politicians on the whole even qualify as "liberal" to begin with). I've never been registered as part of any party, and my local voting has been considerably more diverse.

    However, that officially ends as of this last election. I will no longer be voting unless I see a candidate I genuinely like (and that is a very high bar, relative to America's abysmal standard for politicians -- they better be something way above and beyond). Someone made an argument to me a while back that I had never heard before: voting is consent to the system as it stands. He's not wrong. And I don't consent. I have done, and will continue to do, everything humanly in my power to persistently and loudly express my non-consent, since, unfortunately, the critical mass of other Americans required to change it simply doesn't exist.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    33,194

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    That sounds excellent, good for them. No doubt you see it as a dastardly GOP plot, as you've already stated.
    Since when did stating a fact become "seeing things as a dastardly GOP plot".
    I thought you were done with broad-stroking and putting words in people's mouths.

    It wouldn't happen here because the GOP is the one that benefits from it the most in this state.
    The GOP legislature in Texas has been a criminal organization since their remap in 1990 and the way they hunted down Democratic lawmakers.
    There's a reason Texas is at the top of the DOJ's list for remaps.
    A 27-9 remap in 2010 with only a 55-45 advantage is certainly egregious.
    You're Welcome .

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    145,902

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Why does that not surprise me? Lol.
    It shouldn't. I got 3 votes in 1988 for President.

    But voting a straight ticket means you're voting entirely on party lines completely regardless of the person (or type of person) you're voting for. That guy that you just heard in the news that was found in hotel room with a dead hooker? Yeah that was Congressman Crook and you just cast your vote for him solely based on the letter he has by his name. Sorry, yes, I think that's lazy.
    Then when you say "straight ticket" you are referring to group #1 in my previous post. No, I have never voted "straight party".
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    Mace Windu: Then our worst fears have been realized. We must move quickly if the Jedi Order is to survive.

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    42,362

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Since when did stating a fact become "seeing things as a dastardly GOP plot".
    I thought you were done with broad-stroking and putting words in people's mouths.
    What don't you see as a GOP plot? I legitimately think straight ticket voting is stupid, but you'll say I'm just part of the plot, no doubt. Nobody could concievably have a legit differing point of view, it's all the Repubs!!!



    The GOP legislature in Texas has been a criminal organization since their remap in 1990 and the way they hunted down Democratic lawmakers.
    There's a reason Texas is at the top of the DOJ's list for remaps.
    A 27-9 remap in 2010 with only a 55-45 advantage is certainly egregious.
    Don't ever change, Nim. Have you checked under your bed for Republicans tonight?

  7. #27
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,338

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    I used to be straight ticket republican.

    Now it's mixed, I generally vote for democrats for state and local offices since democrats where I live don't harp on gun control or insult the blue collar workin folk and support our unions.

    Nationally I vote for republicans because the national Democratic Party seems to be intent on catering to the extreme urban liberal movement. I think they have disdain for workers and radical enforcement of environmental laws has hurt many people where I live and grew up.

    Also I generally support liberal policies at the state level, but think the Feds have give themselves too much power
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    38,616

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Nope. I've voted for Libertarian Candidates several times.
    That is anti-socialist! Traitor!

  9. #29
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-22-16 @ 05:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    Far from it. My voting record is probably a 55/45 split at this point. I voted for Obama in '12 yet could easily see myself voting for Bush in '16 given the right circumstances. My choice is largely dependent on the circumstances at the time rather than ideological consistency.

  10. #30
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 09:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,969

    Re: Are You a Straight Ticket Voter?

    I might vote for either party in a local election but in state/national, i'm straight "none of the above"

    I'm convinced that both parties are cancer, so even if i like a particular candidate, i cannot trust them to cling to their platform while absorbed into the dem/repub behemoth. If their platform is identical to every other dem/repub, well that hasn't been working. My state government and the congress are both broken

    I'd rather write in "donald duck" than vote for a centrist pansy, or "my right index finger" than a right wing fanatic

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •