View Poll Results: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 6.98%
  • No

    32 74.42%
  • Unsure

    6 13.95%
  • Mmmmmm...pizza.

    2 4.65%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 118

Thread: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

  1. #71
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,040

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    I think we're in what amounts to a 30 year war now.
    Isis may not make it to the weekend. Let alone 30 years. Just remember how the ussr looked in the 80s. Isis isn't going to thrive like pre 9/11 terrorists. America woke up to those idiots. We have a playbook for them now. And we haven't been the only ones using that playbook.

    Terrorism is relatively new. And it thrived in a world where communists backed the anti capitalists. And the capitalists backed the anti communists. Now that America won...and the world has since realized the price of letting these people get trained and run amok...

    Sorry. Rambling. Isis won't last. They will be done in for violating sun Tzu. They crossed their own people. We may be able to just blow on them, but they destabilized themselves.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #72
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,040

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I agree with you here--we killed a problem we created .
    Yep. And Isis Isn't a liability for America. They are a rabid dog. And it is best the people in that neighborhood put it down. And they will. As long as they see us as supporting them...that is all that matters.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #73
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Sadam would likely have continued open conflict. He had already had invaded multiple nations and gased his own people. Imagine the chaos when he died? Plus he was an embodiment of cia/American intervention. Now he is gone and we are going hand off.
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    The question isn't was "Iraq" a bad idea. It wasn't "is it justified." The question was "is the me better off?"

    We know this:

    Saddam DID have WMDs at one point. Chemical weapons are WMDs. Do you think that is a dangerous thing for someone like saddam to have had? Remember that he used them. He launched scud missiles at Israel. He invaded Kuwait. He started a war with Iran. As far as "potential impact" goes...saddam had a lot. I realize didn't state that before. I should have added "potential." 14% of European oil for a start. Israel too.

    Isis isn't really gaining much support. They are dying. Wouldn't you agree? They certainly aren't the 3rd largest army in the world. Iraq was.
    Iraq wasn't the 3rd largest army at the time of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The first Gulf War crippled Saddam's regime pretty well. He wasn't going to invade anyone. All of these events you are mentioning happened before Kuwait. The world was certainly better off after Desert Storm. There was no compelling reason to go in again, and it's pretty clear the second invasion had very little positive effects.
    Last edited by Tsunami; 04-14-15 at 01:28 AM.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-30-16 @ 05:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,614

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Are you really calling yer President a "dickless muslim dog" ?
    Ain't my President. Proper terminology for socialist pigs is Premier, not President. Don't like it, you can guess which part of my anatomy you can apply lip service to.
    Be sure to work hard and get lots of overtime. People on welfare want more steaks and free upgrades to smart phones with unlimited data packages.

  5. #75
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,040

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    Iraq wasn't the 3rd largest army at the time of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The first Gulf War crippled Saddam's regime pretty well. He wasn't going to invade anyone. All of these events you are mentioning happened before Kuwait. The world was certainly better off after Desert Storm. There was no compelling reason to go in again, and it's pretty clear the second invasion had very little positive effects.
    And the First World War crippled Germany. Time heals ALL wounds.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  6. #76
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,174

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Isis may not make it to the weekend. Let alone 30 years. Just remember how the ussr looked in the 80s. Isis isn't going to thrive like pre 9/11 terrorists. America woke up to those idiots. We have a playbook for them now. And we haven't been the only ones using that playbook.

    Terrorism is relatively new. And it thrived in a world where communists backed the anti capitalists. And the capitalists backed the anti communists. Now that America won...and the world has since realized the price of letting these people get trained and run amok...

    Sorry. Rambling. Isis won't last. They will be done in for violating sun Tzu. They crossed their own people. We may be able to just blow on them, but they destabilized themselves.
    You're assuming ISIS is the end of the terrorists line? I disagree. When/if ISIS is crippled another organization will pop up, then another, then another. Saddam was a despicable vicious dictator, I don't give a rats ass about him. But taking him out was a mistake and it left a huge vacuum in the Middle East that's going to last for decades. Again, the middle east isn't ready for western democracy. They don't want it, and they're not ready for it.
    "The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize."~F.D.R.
    "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other."~Mark Twain

  7. #77
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,402

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Ever play jenga?
    Yes and I understand the point people are trying to make but no one has yet to tell me how EXACTLY did the Iraq war effect the region. This was unstable country that had invaded its neighbours, caused a major conflict ( gulf war), used chemical weapons on its own people and broke international law numerous times resulting in NATO bombing raids. Iraq was and remains unstable so to me other events in the region are not directly linked to the fall of Saddam.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #78
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    21,040

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by SenorXm/Sirius View Post
    You're assuming ISIS is the end of the terrorists line? I disagree. When/if ISIS is crippled another organization will pop up, then another, then another. Saddam was a despicable vicious dictator, I don't give a rats ass about him. But taking him out was a mistake and it left a huge vacuum in the Middle East that's going to last for decades. Again, the middle east isn't ready for western democracy. They don't want it, and they're not ready for it.
    Ok? Well let's ask ourselves: WHO is going to kill Isis? That is the most important question.

    And Arab spring?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  9. #79
    Sage
    SenorXm/Sirius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,174

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Ok? Well let's ask ourselves: WHO is going to kill Isis? That is the most important question.

    And Arab spring?
    I'm not sure of what you are asking me. You are the one who said ISIS may not make it to the weekend. I'm saying it doesn't matter who defeats them. Because even if they are defeated, someone else will pop up. IMO We're stuck in the muck and mire mess we created for a long long time.

    It was just a year or so ago all we heard about was the Taliban and AQ. Now? We hardly hear about them, now it's ISIS. who's next?
    Last edited by SenorXm/Sirius; 04-14-15 at 07:56 AM.
    "The school is the last expenditure upon which America should be willing to economize."~F.D.R.
    "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other."~Mark Twain

  10. #80
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,972

    Re: Is the Middle East better off since the day before Operation Iraqi Freedom began?

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Yes and I understand the point people are trying to make but no one has yet to tell me how EXACTLY did the Iraq war effect the region.
    The Coalition's invasion completely threw the region into chaos: the power vacuum led to the creation of ISIS which then spread into Syria (turning it into a civil war) and beyond, Iran's influence grew in the Shiite areas, Al Qaeda finally had a presence in an area formerly suppressed by Saddam Hussein, over 4 million refugees, hundreds of thousands dead, Kurdish secession and potential for a whole scale civil war in Turkey, etc. Do you want more?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •