View Poll Results: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 77.59%
  • No

    9 15.52%
  • Maybe

    2 3.45%
  • Don't know

    2 3.45%
Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 572

Thread: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    So you wouldn't want enough to get you a nice car? A big house maybe? Some good education for your kids (if you have some or are planning to have some)? How about some nice clothes?

    In addition, does the fact that small businesses aren't yet multi-billion dollar corporations change the fact that they try to accumulate wealth? Does having the intent but not the means excuse the crime/wrong? Don't all multi-billion dollar corporations get their start somewhere?
    I wouldn't need a nice car, a big house? I live comfortably in a small house now, education shouldn't cost money... but If I needed to get education for kids I don't have, I would attempt to save money to do this, as the entire world revolves around using money to buy what is needed to live from capitalists. Nice clothes? I have clothing, that's all I need. I've mentioned they are trying to accumulate wealth, but it is not logical to focus on them, I don't see small businesses literally destroying other countries, the environment, etc, etc, etc... I never said it excuses it, and I suppose they do, but it's no excuse for the acts they commit.

  2. #182
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Connecticut
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,533

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    I wouldn't need a nice car, a big house? I live comfortably in a small house now, education shouldn't cost money... but If I needed to get education for kids I don't have, I would attempt to save money to do this, as the entire world revolves around using money to buy what is needed to live from capitalists. Nice clothes? I have clothing, that's all I need. I've mentioned they are trying to accumulate wealth, but it is not logical to focus on them, I don't see small businesses literally destroying other countries, the environment, etc, etc, etc... I never said it excuses it, and I suppose they do, but it's no excuse for the acts they commit.
    Don't you think it is hypocritical of you to try to save some money for your children then when billions don't even have enough to eat?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  3. #183
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,585

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    A small business owner does exploit labor, yes, but most small businesses don't grow into multi billion dollar international giants that exploit third world countries and control where food goes,etc,etc,etc....
    That's interesting. I've got an uncle who built himself into a multi-millionaire. No college education, blue-collar worker, just created a company, worked 14 hour days 6 days a week, blood, sweat, tears, etc. Built up an incredible success record by paying his workers more than the going wage on the market, enabling him to hire and retain the best.

    Now, those people got their jobs - got their pay raises, their ability to feed their families, from my uncle's initial hard work and investment. The business is really a family - they go to each others' houses on Christmas, their kids know each other, most of them have been together over a decade, etc. How, exactly, is that an exploitative relationship on his part?

    I don't desire billions either, just enough to help my family, and feed myself.
    So.... you want to live in (by US Standards) serious poverty.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  4. #184
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    56,585

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    Don't you think it is hypocritical of you to try to save some money for your children then when billions don't even have enough to eat?
    Not to mention that his "modest house and car" probably still leave him in the Global Top 1%.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    Don't you think it is hypocritical of you to try to save some money for your children then when billions don't even have enough to eat?
    The issue with this is, saving a couple thousand dollars in order to get privatized education is nothing to hoarding billions of dollars and purposefully not distributing food to make sure a profit is made. I donate to charities whenever I can that help deal with hunger, but when you live in a system where you need to acquire money to buy what is needed to live from those who sell it for profit.. well, the world sucks.

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That's interesting. I've got an uncle who built himself into a multi-millionaire. No college education, blue-collar worker, just created a company, worked 14 hour days 6 days a week, blood, sweat, tears, etc. Built up an incredible success record by paying his workers more than the going wage on the market, enabling him to hire and retain the best.

    Now, those people got their jobs - got their pay raises, their ability to feed their families, from my uncle's initial hard work and investment. The business is really a family - they go to each others' houses on Christmas, their kids know each other, most of them have been together over a decade, etc. How, exactly, is that an exploitative relationship on his part?



    So.... you want to live in (by US Standards) serious poverty.
    Sure, in regards to the serious poverty thing, It's essentially how I've had to life my live in the past, and I was perfectly happy, along with my family. As long as I have food, shelter.. Luckily, I can work now along with my mother.
    Your uncle is a very lucky example, and if all businesses actually did what your uncle did and paid workers a fair wage, I might learn to enjoy capitalism.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    my biggest criticism of his presidency is that he didn't go straight to the American people with a frank sales pitch more often. however, to do what needed done, you'd have to have the America of 1930. we live in an America that is divided almost 50 / 50, and that divide is the size of an ocean. that means that neither side can get much of anything done, even when the economy gets destroyed by gambling.
    Although he can give a good speech, he doesn't appear to me to be an effective salesperson. That's one problem that he has. Not only that, I think he made the mistake early on of trying to please everybody.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Accumulate billions of dollars and seek out workers in Africa/china/haiti/etc to exploit cheap labor? If I was given the chance, I'd hope not. That is what I'm talking about here, not the small business owner or mcdonalds manager.
    So if you ran a business you would overpay for labor? That's kind of stupid.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So if you ran a business you would overpay for labor? That's kind of stupid.
    I wouldn't purposefully rely on sweatshops, no. Overpay for labor? If a sweatshop worker produces $100 in clothing per hour, and gets paid 25 cents an hour AND THAT'S BEING GENEROUS TO THE SWEATSHOP OWNERS, I guess that's not exploitation.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    I wouldn't purposefully rely on sweatshops, no. Overpay for labor? If a sweatshop worker produces $100 in clothing per hour, and gets paid 25 cents an hour AND THAT'S BEING GENEROUS TO THE SWEATSHOP OWNERS, I guess that's not exploitation.
    So what would you do? Would you keep your operations in America even if there was cheaper labor elsewhere?

Page 19 of 58 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •