View Poll Results: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 77.59%
  • No

    9 15.52%
  • Maybe

    2 3.45%
  • Don't know

    2 3.45%
Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 572

Thread: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,119

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Economic opportunities, education and infrastructure would definitely make the difference. That's actually where Obama should have struck hard in his first term when Democrats controlled Congress. It was a monumental shame to have missed such a opportunity. Who knows when that will happen again.
    well, if it makes you feel any better, i doubt that they could have gotten that done, either. i mean, ****, they couldn't even get a public option passed with every Republican voting against it and Democrats from conservative districts running for their lives. we got a stimulus when we needed another new deal. i'm not looking down my nose at the stimulus, though. the COBRA part definitely saved my ass when i lost my job.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    well, if it makes you feel any better, i doubt that they could have gotten that done, either. i mean, ****, they couldn't even get a public option passed with every Republican voting against it and Democrats from conservative districts running for their lives. we got a stimulus when we needed another new deal. i'm not looking down my nose at the stimulus, though. the COBRA part definitely saved my ass when i lost my job.
    If that is the case then that is sad. That said, Obama could have probably pushed through some big infrastructure projects. That type of thing has bi-partisan appeal because it buys them political points with their constituents. It may have been especially attractive since it was a time of economic downturn. If Obama had been a Lyndon Johnson type, he could have made a convincing sales pitch to both Republicans and Democrats alike. Furthermore, Obama should have seen what happened to Hillary when she tried to push healthcare reform through. The medical lobby is quite powerful.

  3. #173
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,119

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If that is the case then that is sad. That said, Obama could have probably pushed through some big infrastructure projects. That type of thing has bi-partisan appeal because it buys them political points with their constituents. It may have been especially attractive since it was a time of economic downturn. If Obama had been a Lyndon Johnson type, he could have made a convincing sales pitch to both Republicans and Democrats alike. Furthermore, Obama should have seen what happened to Hillary when she tried to push healthcare reform through. The medical lobby is quite powerful.
    my biggest criticism of his presidency is that he didn't go straight to the American people with a frank sales pitch more often. however, to do what needed done, you'd have to have the America of 1930. we live in an America that is divided almost 50 / 50, and that divide is the size of an ocean. that means that neither side can get much of anything done, even when the economy gets destroyed by gambling.

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Hey, anyone who exploits labor and accumulates wealth in mass numbers while millions starve to death is a scum in my book.
    So you don't try to exploit labor or accumulate wealth?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    So you don't try to exploit labor or accumulate wealth?
    How would I exploit labor? I'm a laborer working to collect money, which I in turn use to buy food. I specifically said accumulate wealth in mass numbers as well.

  6. #176
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    How would I exploit labor? I'm a laborer working to collect money, which I in turn use to buy food. I specifically said accumulate wealth in mass numbers as well.
    So if you were given the chance, you would not do either of those? I'm pretty sure there are people living in a state much worse than yours. Where is your capital?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    So if you were given the chance, you would not do either of those? I'm pretty sure there are people living in a state much worse than yours. Where is your capital?
    Accumulate billions of dollars and seek out workers in Africa/china/haiti/etc to exploit cheap labor? If I was given the chance, I'd hope not. That is what I'm talking about here, not the small business owner or mcdonalds manager.

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Accumulate billions of dollars and seek out workers in Africa/china/haiti/etc to exploit cheap labor? If I was given the chance, I'd hope not. That is what I'm talking about here, not the small business owner or mcdonalds manager.
    So do not the small business owner (or the bourgeoisie) try not to exploit labor? Do they not try to make use of the surplus value? Do they not try to accumulate more? Do they not desire billions? Do you not desire billions?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    So do not the small business owner (or the bourgeoisie) try not to exploit labor? Do they not try to make use of the surplus value? Do they not try to accumulate more? Do they not desire billions? Do you not desire billions?
    A small business owner does exploit labor, yes, but most small businesses don't grow into multi billion dollar international giants that exploit third world countries and control where food goes,etc,etc,etc.... I focus on the real problems, one step at a time I suppose. I don't desire billions either, just enough to help my family, and feed myself.

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Do the wealthy have too much power in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    A small business owner does exploit labor, yes, but most small businesses don't grow into multi billion dollar international giants that exploit third world countries and control where food goes,etc,etc,etc.... I focus on the real problems, one step at a time I suppose. I don't desire billions either, just enough to help my family, and feed myself.
    So you wouldn't want enough to get you a nice car? A big house maybe? Some good education for your kids (if you have some or are planning to have some)? How about some nice clothes?

    In addition, does the fact that small businesses aren't yet multi-billion dollar corporations change the fact that they try to accumulate wealth? Does having the intent but not the means excuse the crime/wrong? Don't all multi-billion dollar corporations get their start somewhere?
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

Page 18 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •