View Poll Results: Is the US a Christian Country?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 24.39%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • Do not care

    7 8.54%
  • Do not know

    3 3.66%
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 181

Thread: Is the US a Christian country?

  1. #131
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Absolutley, but then again that's the matter with anything dealing with definitions. I noted from the very onset of my post, I was going by the commonly held definitions in the realm of Political Science.

    I made the topical foundation of my argument abundantly clear by indicating the definition and mindset I was coming from was one of political science...where as the OP left it COMPLETELY open ended.

    If you want to argue against my point from the actual foundation that I used, go right ahead. If you want to bitch that I didn't choose to use the definition YOU prefer, and then wish to try and take my part away based on fraudulent logic by attacking a strawman of your own creation by citing a different definition than the one I clearly indicated, then you're more than welcome to engage in your debate with the strawman, but I'm not interested in joining you.
    I wasn't begging for debate. What I said isn't debatable. Without agreement about what, precisely, the ambiguous language of the question means, yes and no are both equally arguable merely by insisting the only valid definition of "country" is the one being assumed.

    The USA was and is a "Christian country" as much as Ireland is a Catholic Country". The word "country" doesn't require everything else in the sentence to be viewed only through a political lens.

    But since you seem set to want to argue something with someone, don't let me stop you. Argue whatever you want and maybe someone will argue back.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    26,435

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Seems like it would be similar to asking, is the US a 'white' country?

    I guess the majority of people are white but that doenst make it a 'white' country. IMO.

    Same with Christianity. The majority of people are Christians but I dont believe it means we are a 'Christian' country.
    "Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free."

    "No, you'll be *a* judge of that, just like everyone else who reads it."
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #133
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,680
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    . . .The USA was and is a "Christian country" as much as Ireland is a Catholic Country". The word "country" doesn't require everything else in the sentence to be viewed only through a political lens. . . .
    As I tried to much less succinctly explain in my previous post, I agree with this. Ask pretty much anybody what the "Christian countries" are and the USA will almost always head the list. It is a description of what the country's culture is and not a political condition or statement or formal designation.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  4. #134
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,464
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    That depends on your definition. Is a "Christian" country one that was founded by and run by Christians or is it a country that is beholden to a Christian church. The former is absolutely true and the later is absolutely false.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  5. #135
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,464
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Both the institution of marriage and the LGBT community predate Christianity. It would seem therefore that Christianity has sought to redefine it.
    Well, that assumes that Christianity is not the religion of God, but an invention of man. All religion (with the exception of scientology) presumes that the philosophy comes from God. You can't predate a creator. Keep in mind, marriage was never regulated by governments (except theocracies) prior to Henry VIII. Had he not created the Church of England and then made himself the King and Religious leader, marriage would still be a social construct and the government wouldn't be regulating marriage in violation of religious beliefs.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #136
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Well, that assumes that Christianity is not the religion of God, but an invention of man. All religion (with the exception of scientology) presumes that the philosophy comes from God. You can't predate a creator. Keep in mind, marriage was never regulated by governments (except theocracies) prior to Henry VIII. Had he not created the Church of England and then made himself the King and Religious leader, marriage would still be a social construct and the government wouldn't be regulating marriage in violation of religious beliefs.
    Oh come now. You think that people started hooking up only after Henry the 8th made a church?
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #137
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,894

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I merely explained why there are a lot that don't. I don't have to take up anything with anybody.
    Fine, but they're blaming the wrong people then. Yes, the gay marriage idea may have taken off with gay activists, but it never would've gotten any traction if not for those "breeders" you claim we have it in for.

    I know it's easier to vilify the small minority than to accept that your position is no longer supported by the majority.

    As for "co-opting" the word...i really don't understand this objection. A gay relationship is pretty identical to a hetero relationship, thus the word 'marriage' accurately describes both. You keep looking for some nefarious conspiracy, but even if for sake of argument you were right, like "they use the word to try and normalize homosexuality"....so? Lol, where is the harm in that?

  8. #138
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Fine, but they're blaming the wrong people then. Yes, the gay marriage idea may have taken off with gay activists, but it never would've gotten any traction if not for those "breeders" you claim we have it in for.

    I know it's easier to vilify the small minority than to accept that your position is no longer supported by the majority.

    As for "co-opting" the word...i really don't understand this objection. A gay relationship is pretty identical to a hetero relationship, thus the word 'marriage' accurately describes both. You keep looking for some nefarious conspiracy, but even if for sake of argument you were right, like "they use the word to try and normalize homosexuality"....so? Lol, where is the harm in that?
    Whatever. People aren't always going to agree with you and you're just going to have to accept that. Where's the tolerance for opposing viewpoints you liberals like to claim you have (and absolutely don't)? More self-delusion.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #139
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,894

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Whatever. People aren't always going to agree with you and you're just going to have to accept that. Where's the tolerance for opposing viewpoints you liberals like to claim you have (and absolutely don't)? More self-delusion.
    This is a debate forum...if pointing out holes in arguments is intolerance, came to the wrong place.

    The way you make it seem is as if 'liberals' are holding a gun to your head forcing you to call it marriage. I don't give a **** what you call it, just like i'll call it marriage regardless of your objections or even if it's 1970 and no one agrees, because i see it as a marriage.

    But i find it telling you can't answer these points. If a committed same sex relationship is the same, why object so strongly to it being called marriage? Is it possible that just maybe you're overestimating the contempt that most homosexuals hold for "breeders"?

    I can't think of anything more futile than hating 90-95% of the population

  10. #140
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    This is a debate forum...if pointing out holes in arguments is intolerance, came to the wrong place.

    The way you make it seem is as if 'liberals' are holding a gun to your head forcing you to call it marriage. I don't give a **** what you call it, just like i'll call it marriage regardless of your objections or even if it's 1970 and no one agrees, because i see it as a marriage.

    But i find it telling you can't answer these points. If a committed same sex relationship is the same, why object so strongly to it being called marriage? Is it possible that just maybe you're overestimating the contempt that most homosexuals hold for "breeders"?

    I can't think of anything more futile than hating 90-95% of the population
    You are, apparently looking for an argument and there isn't one. You pretended not to know why people get hung up on "a word". I explained. The end. You're really not going to know what to so with yourself when you don't have the homosexual marriage issue to use to of draw attention, aren't you?
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •