View Poll Results: Is the US a Christian Country?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 24.39%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • Do not care

    7 8.54%
  • Do not know

    3 3.66%
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 181

Thread: Is the US a Christian country?

  1. #111
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 11:35 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    i still say what the county gives everyone should be a civil union certificate....and everyone with one of those gets the exact same rights and privileges

    and then, if you want to get "married", you go to your temple, church, mosque, etc, and have the religious ceremony performed....with no additional penalties or bonuses for the title married

    everyone can say they are married.....everyone gets the same rights.....everyone is under the same laws

    and the churches/religions still have their sacrosanct title to marriage to give to their parishioners

    i dont know why this hasnt happened.....it is the most logical thing to make everyone happy.....
    I like that solution but I don't think homosexuals like it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #112
    #NeverHillary
    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,844
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    i still say what the county gives everyone should be a civil union certificate....and everyone with one of those gets the exact same rights and privileges

    and then, if you want to get "married", you go to your temple, church, mosque, etc, and have the religious ceremony performed....with no additional penalties or bonuses for the title married

    everyone can say they are married.....everyone gets the same rights.....everyone is under the same laws

    and the churches/religions still have their sacrosanct title to marriage to give to their parishioners

    i dont know why this hasnt happened.....it is the most logical thing to make everyone happy.....
    I'd agree. It's the most logical, gets government out of the marriage business (which it really shouldn't be in anyway), and allows various religions to define what marriage means to them and their congregation (seeming where that should be as well).

    What's not to like?
    It's a global Jihad, stupid. Allowing that poison into the country is only going to increase the damage it inflicts on others.
    Trump: "When You Open Your Heart To Patriotism, There Is No Room For Prejudice"

  3. #113
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,871

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I like that solution but I don't think homosexuals like it.
    It seems to me ya'll are the ones hung up on a word. Everyone can more easily get a *marriage* license and churches can decide for themselves whether to refuse a same sex ceremony and to call that ceremony a "civil union" or "glorification" or whatever the crap.

  4. #114
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,871

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    i still say what the county gives everyone should be a civil union certificate....and everyone with one of those gets the exact same rights and privileges

    and then, if you want to get "married", you go to your temple, church, mosque, etc, and have the religious ceremony performed....with no additional penalties or bonuses for the title married

    everyone can say they are married.....everyone gets the same rights.....everyone is under the same laws

    and the churches/religions still have their sacrosanct title to marriage to give to their parishioners

    i dont know why this hasnt happened.....it is the most logical thing to make everyone happy.....
    You realize they already do have their 'sacrosanct' title. That some 2% of married couples are same sex should matter whatsoever

  5. #115
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 11:35 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    It seems to me ya'll are the ones hung up on a word.
    That's perfectly reasonable If you mean "breeders" when you say "y'all" since "breeders" created the institution and the word. So, yeah, they're also "hung up" on what it means and don't necessarily accept that homosexuals are the final authority on what it means just because they pretend that they are.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #116
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,736
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Quite right... this issue has been debated to death on DP going back to 2010.

    I'll go with my July 2014 answer: http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1063426679 (America is or is not a Christian Nation.)
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #117
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,071

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    your post is not correct, and the problem is not reading correctly which many people do.

    the u.s. was founded by christians, it was a Christian nation however it is no longer.

    as for the treaty, here it is again:

    ARTICLE 11.
    As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
    As for historian John Fea ...he notes : the United States was not founded on the Christian religion..........he focuses on the United States.......not the Government of the United States which the treaty says.

    the government is not christian, all the constitution does is setup the structure of the federal government, delegate the government few powers, leaving all other powers to the states creating federalism and the bill of rights creating restrictions on the federal government.

    you can find on the internet many people talking about this subject, .......and even find were people will leave out the words ....."As the government"
    Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government

    THE
    second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.


  8. #118
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,871

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    That's perfectly reasonable If you mean "breeders" when you say "y'all" since "breeders" created the institution and the word. So, yeah, they're also "hung up" on what it means and don't necessarily accept that homosexuals are the final authority on what it means just because they pretend that they are.
    Oh please, i know plenty of "breeders" who support gay marriage, without having to go thru these hoops of changing words just to make some heterosexuals feel superior still. In fact if not for them, gay marriage would not even be an afterthought since homosexuals are such a small %

    Or you can look at the other parts of the world that have legalized SSM and it's gone exactly the same.

    btw, please tell us who created the institution or word marriage? Probably was a gay "celibate" priest

  9. #119
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-21-17 @ 09:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,139

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    The US is a country with lots of Christians in it. That doesn't make it a "Christian nation."

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,095

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Semantics.
    Absolutley, but then again that's the matter with anything dealing with definitions. I noted from the very onset of my post, I was going by the commonly held definitions in the realm of Political Science.

    I made the topical foundation of my argument abundantly clear by indicating the definition and mindset I was coming from was one of political science...where as the OP left it COMPLETELY open ended.

    If you want to argue against my point from the actual foundation that I used, go right ahead. If you want to bitch that I didn't choose to use the definition YOU prefer, and then wish to try and take my part away based on fraudulent logic by attacking a strawman of your own creation by citing a different definition than the one I clearly indicated, then you're more than welcome to engage in your debate with the strawman, but I'm not interested in joining you.
    Imagine if Walmart owned access to all the streets in your town. You can go to Target or the mom and pop downtown if you want, but all the roads leading there require a toll, whereas the roads leading to Walmart are free. That is not the avenue the internet needs to go down.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •