View Poll Results: Is the US a Christian Country?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 24.39%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • Do not care

    7 8.54%
  • Do not know

    3 3.66%
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 181

Thread: Is the US a Christian country?

  1. #101
    Sage

    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,958
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Well, that would be why we have lower and higher courts to mediate such things, because someone always feels their rights are being damaged.
    True. As they should be.

    Just as it remains to be the case and the process with the Indiana RAFA law and other RAFA laws.
    It's a global Jihad, stupid. Allowing that poison into the country is only going to increase the damage it inflicts on others.
    Trump: "When You Open Your Heart To Patriotism, There Is No Room For Prejudice"
    Trump to NYT: “Try reporting accurately & fairly!”

  2. #102
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    As historian John Fea notes, “If the Treaty of Tripoli is correct, and the United States was not ‘founded on the Christian religion,’ then someone forgot to tell the American people… The idea that the United States is a ‘Christian nation,’ has always been central to American identity.” But debate rages over whether the Founders were Deists and why the Constitution bears no mention of God.

    Like today, the Founding elites were less spiritually pre-disposed than the overall populace. Then, as now, politicians appropriated Christian themes. Obama even invoked Jesus to support same-sex marriage. The Founders knew the talk too. But as Gregg Frazier illustrates, when Washington, Adams and Franklin appealed to Almighty God they didn’t necessarily mean Jehovah.

    In The Religious Beliefs of America’s Founders, (which I’ve not yet read) Dr. Frazier suggests designations of Deist or Christian are too simple. He describes the primary beliefs of core Founders as “theistic rationalism.” Frazier notes, “They took elements of Christianity and elements of natural religion and then, using rationalism, they kept what they thought was reasonable, was rational, and rejected what they considered to be irrational.”

    This hybrid, unlike Deism, per Frazier, developed a benevolent god who heard and answered prayers to impart justice. All thought Jesus a great moral philosopher, but many important Revolutionary leaders denied his Deity. But be clear, biblical Christianity isn’t mere morals. Dr. Mohler stresses, diluting the Gospel to “Christian values” won’t save perishing souls.

    Was America Founded As A Christian Nation? - Forbes


    in some ways, we are a christian nation

    in other ways, we are not

    less and less people attend church on a regular basis across our nation, but more and more people find spirituality a core part of their being

    i myself do believe we are a christian nation in that we stand for principles, we believe in liberty, and we were formed as one nation under god

    but that is just my two cents
    The three branches of our government certainly don't legislate out of the bible, although, many American laws are indeed influenced by the religious beliefs of its writers. 75% (conservative number) of Americans identify as Christian, a significant majority of legislators do as well. It is impossible that such influence doesn't seep into our legislation, as indeed can be seen, particularly in local laws. As you say, in some ways America is a Christian nation and in some ways not.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #103
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    True. As they should be.

    Just as it remains to be the case and the process with the Indiana RAFA law and other RAFA laws.
    Indeed. Of particular note will be if the SCOTUS rules on gay marriage, and how they rule if they do. But I'm pretty sure, that just as the long road of suffrage for women ended up with them having equal rights as men, and the equally long (nay, longer) road for African Americans have delivered them very near equal rights with White Americans, whether Christians like it or they don't, the gay community will have equal rights with them.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #104
    Sage

    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,958
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Indeed. Of particular note will be if the SCOTUS rules on gay marriage, and how they rule if they do.
    Regardless of the outcome of that decision, at least the 'rules of the road' will have been made clear, or at least more clear.
    It's a global Jihad, stupid. Allowing that poison into the country is only going to increase the damage it inflicts on others.
    Trump: "When You Open Your Heart To Patriotism, There Is No Room For Prejudice"
    Trump to NYT: “Try reporting accurately & fairly!”

  5. #105
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Regardless of the outcome of that decision, at least the 'rules of the road' will have been made clear, or at least more clear.
    True, I wasn't finished with the post you quoted, sorry about that!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #106
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    There can never be a factual agreement about whether or not the US is a Christian country without some agreement about what "Christian country" means. Christianity nor any other religion can be state sponsored, but Christianity was the prevalent belief system and has heavily influenced our morals and, naturally, therefore our laws.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    Engagement!
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,511

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    I have to say, this is actually a nice different take on the question...albiet probably by accident.

    Normally the question is asked whether or not the US is a christian "NATION". That's actually, from a political science perspective, significantly different than asking if the US is a christian COUNTRY / STATE.

    The answer to that question is an unequiviocable..."no".

    The United States of America is not, nor ever has been a Christian COUNTRY. To claim such, it would require that it's governmental system is one that codifies and establishes Christianity in some clear cut fashion. It most certainly does not.

    There is a legitimate argument to be made that in the time of it's founding, and in it's earliest of years, the United States of America was a Christian NATION, as that has nothing inherently to do with Government. The population was overwhelming Christian, the majority of christians were actively practicing followers of the faith, and the practice and tennets of Christainity was ingrained into the shared culture of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

    In more recent years, the claim of it being a "christian nation" would be far more difficult. While stll largely Christian, it is not nearly to the same degree as the past. Similarly, the number of actual routinely practicing and devout members of the faith are significantly lower as well. As such, the tennets and practice of Christianity is not anywhere near as integral and recognizable part of our shared American culture. There's still an argument to be made in some fashions, but it is a far weaker argument than the one that can be made relating to the time of the founding and shortly after.

    But in terms of "country", which speaks to the governmental system? Absolutely not. It is not a "christian" country.

  8. #108
    Sage

    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,958
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    True, I wasn't finished with the post you quoted, sorry about that!
    No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Indeed. Of particular note will be if the SCOTUS rules on gay marriage, and how they rule if they do. But I'm pretty sure, that just as the long road of suffrage for women ended up with them having equal rights as men, and the equally long (nay, longer) road for African Americans have delivered them very near equal rights with White Americans, whether Christians like it or they don't, the gay community will have equal rights with them.
    Seems to me that the gay marriage issue isn't so much about rights (who's preventing LGBT couples from forming a life long relationship?) but more about the label, where the traditional definition includes 'a man and a woman', and the LGBT community wants to redefine that term. That seems to be more a cultural issue than one of rights.
    It's a global Jihad, stupid. Allowing that poison into the country is only going to increase the damage it inflicts on others.
    Trump: "When You Open Your Heart To Patriotism, There Is No Room For Prejudice"
    Trump to NYT: “Try reporting accurately & fairly!”

  9. #109
    Sage

    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    near Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,669

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    No worries.


    Seems to me that the gay marriage issue isn't so much about rights (who's preventing LGBT couples from forming a life long relationship?) but more about the label, where the traditional definition includes 'a man and a woman', and the LGBT community wants to redefine that term. That seems to be more a cultural issue than one of rights.
    i still say what the county gives everyone should be a civil union certificate....and everyone with one of those gets the exact same rights and privileges

    and then, if you want to get "married", you go to your temple, church, mosque, etc, and have the religious ceremony performed....with no additional penalties or bonuses for the title married

    everyone can say they are married.....everyone gets the same rights.....everyone is under the same laws

    and the churches/religions still have their sacrosanct title to marriage to give to their parishioners

    i dont know why this hasnt happened.....it is the most logical thing to make everyone happy.....
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  10. #110
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 12:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Is the US a Christian country?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I have to say, this is actually a nice different take on the question...albiet probably by accident.

    Normally the question is asked whether or not the US is a christian "NATION". That's actually, from a political science perspective, significantly different than asking if the US is a christian COUNTRY / STATE.

    The answer to that question is an unequiviocable..."no".

    The United States of America is not, nor ever has been a Christian COUNTRY. To claim such, it would require that it's governmental system is one that codifies and establishes Christianity in some clear cut fashion. It most certainly does not.

    There is a legitimate argument to be made that in the time of it's founding, and in it's earliest of years, the United States of America was a Christian NATION, as that has nothing inherently to do with Government. The population was overwhelming Christian, the majority of christians were actively practicing followers of the faith, and the practice and tennets of Christainity was ingrained into the shared culture of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

    In more recent years, the claim of it being a "christian nation" would be far more difficult. While stll largely Christian, it is not nearly to the same degree as the past. Similarly, the number of actual routinely practicing and devout members of the faith are significantly lower as well. As such, the tennets and practice of Christianity is not anywhere near as integral and recognizable part of our shared American culture. There's still an argument to be made in some fashions, but it is a far weaker argument than the one that can be made relating to the time of the founding and shortly after.

    But in terms of "country", which speaks to the governmental system? Absolutely not. It is not a "christian" country.
    Semantics. Depending on the meaning of "country", the statement could be either true or false. This question allows infinite opportunities for equivocation.

    Dictionary
    1country
    noun coun·try \ˈkən-trē\
    : an area of land that is controlled by its own government

    the country : the people who live in a country

    : an area or region that has a particular quality or feature or is known for a particular activity.
    Definition #1 and the answer is most reasonably "no" because it insinuates government support for the religion. #2, on the other hand is clearly true because the US is a region or area that is predominately Christian and even includes Christian Holidays in the federal schedule as an accommodation to the majority that observes those holidays.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •