Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 310

Thread: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discrimination?

  1. #131
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,838

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    So, if two straight people were getting a civil ceremony same sex marriage for tax purposes, that would be objectionable? On religious grounds???
    Yeah. I wouldn't partake in it. This has actually come up in my life, believe it or not
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    All Christians miss it at times, none miss it completely.

    And if I were trapped in a sin, I would absolutely want my fellow man to A) refuse to enable me in it and B) if possible, try to help me out of it. They would be loving me by doing so.



    You are correct (broadly) that Legalism is a temptation for many (not just Christians). You are simply wrong to conflate Legalism with recognizing sinful activity. Legalism is the idea that the path to salvation lies through following the law, usually with gradations of spiritual failure. Christianity teaches that all sin, and all need the redemption purchased by the Blood of Christ - the Doctrine of Sin is not only not legalism, it is a critical part of the rejection of legalism.
    The only reason why a person would refuse to serve someone in their place of business based on their sexual orientation is because they are seeing that person based on the bodily concept of life, not on the transcendental platform.

  3. #133
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Scenario:

    I walk into my favorite restaurant and ask to talk to the owner. I tell him I am hosting a Christian Bible Conference in the Mariott and would like him to cater the event and serve dinner there in the evening.

    He looks at me oddly and says "Sorry, I'm a Pastazoroastrian, and we are forbidden to attend or participate in any kind of non-Pastazoroastrid religious activities, so I can't help you."

    I'd probably blink a couple times, ask him if he was kidding, and if he assured me he was serious, I'd walk out the door and seek another caterer.


    Would I sue to try to MAKE him do it? Um, no. If he really has a reason-of-conscience not to do it, or if he's BSing and just "don't like my kind", either way I don't WANT him catering my event. I certainly don't want to force him... we might all come down with Salmonella or something...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #134
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,838

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The only reason why a person would refuse to serve someone in their place of business based on their sexual orientation is because they are seeing that person based on the bodily concept of life, not on the transcendental platform.
    You are raising up a strawman argument. No one is arguing for rejecting service based on identity, but rather activity. Gays, Adulterers, Liars, Lusters, Gluttons, Haters, Thieves, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Asexuals, Semisexuals, Comicon-attending-wish-they-could-be-sexuals, all are free to eat at my restaurant. I'm simply not going to cater your orgy. I'm also not going to cater your KKK meeting.

    It's not a question of rejecting identities - it's a question of rejecting activities.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  5. #135
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,415

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I strongly disagree. If I were asked to cater a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood, I would be supporting abortion on demand, and this would be a grave hypocrisy.
    But would you claim that was execising freedom of religion? Or would it be choosing which group to be affilitated with? Refusing to cater to the Nazi party of America is not discrimination. Refusing to cater to Germans is.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You are raising up a strawman argument. No one is arguing for rejecting service based on identity, but rather activity. Gays, Adulterers, Liars, Lusters, Gluttons, Haters, Thieves, Homosexuals, Bisexuals, Asexuals, Semisexuals, Comicon-attending-wish-they-could-be-sexuals, all are free to eat at my restaurant. I'm simply not going to cater your orgy. I'm also not going to cater your KKK meeting.

    It's not a question of rejecting identities - it's a question of rejecting activities.
    So you would not cater to a meeting of liars? Which would mean that you would not cater a meeting of the Republican or Democratic convention, right?

  7. #137
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,838

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    But would you claim that was execising freedom of religion? Or would it be choosing which group to be affilitated with? Refusing to cater to the Nazi party of America is not discrimination. Refusing to cater to Germans is.
    if the Germans are having a Nazi rally which I am refusing to cater to, then I'm not refusing to serve Germans, but rather refusing to take part in or affiliate with Nazi rallies.

    Similarly, if Homosexuals are having a wedding celebration which I am refusing to cater to, then I am not refusing to serve Homosexuals, but rather refusing to take part in or affiliate with their weddings.
    Last edited by cpwill; 04-03-15 at 10:06 AM.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  8. #138
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    54,838

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    So you would not cater to a meeting of liars? Which would mean that you would not cater a meeting of the Republican or Democratic convention, right?
    I like it But I think you should have gone with "Lawyers" or "anyone who files federal tax forms"


    But no. If the purpose of the activity is to celebrate, enable, or achieve something that is a violation of my faith, I will refuse the custom and give up the profit to serve God before I serve money.
    Worth noting, Democrats: President Trump will have a Pen and a Phone. #Precedent.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I like it But I think you should have gone with "Lawyers" or "anyone who files federal tax forms"
    We can go there too. If you are really basing it on activity then you would not cater to liars. Therefore what is really going on is that people are engaging in such discrimination simply because they are seeing those people based on the bodily conception of life.

  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    41,243

    Re: Is it wise for Christians to link the survival of Christianity to gay discriminat

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    So you would not cater to a meeting of liars? Which would mean that you would not cater a meeting of the Republican or Democratic convention, right?


    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!


    Oh I must admit, that is a good one.


    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •