View Poll Results: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 46.34%
  • No

    13 31.71%
  • Maybe

    8 19.51%
  • Don't know

    1 2.44%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 249

Thread: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test? [W:249]

  1. #21
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    16,263

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    It's not a litmus test. It's consistent and intelligent foreign policy. Democrats should be on board.
    They are. We have one party the Republicans that to appease their fundamentalist base supports 100% of what the government of Israel does. We have another party, the Democratic party, whom the vast majority of Jews in America always vote for, supports 90% of what the government of Israel does and when they disagree 10% of the time, they are falsely accused of being antisemites. Which is like being called a racist because you disagree with something the government of Atlanta did.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #22
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,791

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    For anyone over the age of 12, and who pays attention, support for Israel has always been a somewhat controversial and partisan issue. The way it's framed changes from time to time, and the players and their personalities will vary, but really deep down it's the same old news.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  3. #23
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    They are. We have one party the Republicans that to appease their fundamentalist base supports 100% of what the government of Israel does. We have another party, the Democratic party, whom the vast majority of Jews in America always vote for, supports 90% of what the government of Israel does and when they disagree 10% of the time, they are falsely accused of being antisemites. Which is like being called a racist because you disagree with something the government of Atlanta did.
    I would agree with you about the rank and file. I disagree with you on the Obama administration. We could go through the litany of problems that Obama has caused with Israel but they are so obvious we should just agree and move on.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #24
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 03:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Not if you want to count Ron Paul.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    No it's not a US interest.
    It's something the US supports, it's not an American interest and it has nothing to do with the stability of the entire Mideast.
    Wrong as two left shoes. It is indeed a U.S. interest because it does support stability in the Middle East. Why? Because Israel wants to maintain a state that is Jewish in nature, so it is not going to expand Israel to make the Palestinians part of it. For this reason, there is no way forward but a two state solution.

    There will not be a stable Middle East until the Palestinian issue is resolved. There are far too many Arabs and Muslims in the Middle East who perceive that Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians is part of a larger pattern of behavior that has been hostile to not only the Palestinians but Muslims in the Middle East by Israel and the U.S. as well. The U.S. needs to divorce itself of its past in the Middle East and cannot do so until this issue is resolved.

  6. #26
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    31,791

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    One reason is that the GOP hasn't seen a war that they do not like. That suits Israel's purposes well in the Middle East.
    There's a simplistic and ignorant statement if I've ever seen one.
    Old saying: Any child can grow up to be President.
    New saying: Any child can be President.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Not sure I can make sense out of the nonsense above. Has America fought in its wars. It fights as a mercenary force when Arabs are in trouble, never for Israel.
    What in the hell do you mean? The U.S. spent trillions of dollars effing around in Iraq, lost thousands of lives, and left many thousands more young American men maimed for life. It didn't have a damn thing to do with Arabs being in trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Or did you mean, a nation of about 6 million Jews which has been attacked since its inception nearly 70 years ago enjoys sending its children to die.
    Since its inception? Funny you should say that. We should go over to the Israel/Palestine section and discuss that at length. It is a rather interesting story.

    If they don't like their children dying then they should make the necessary steps to move towards giving the Palestinians a state, instead of regularly engaging in what they call, "mowing the lawn."

  8. #28
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,992

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Wrong as two left shoes. It is indeed a U.S. interest because it does support stability in the Middle East. Why? Because Israel wants to maintain a state that is Jewish in nature, so it is not going to expand Israel to make the Palestinians part of it. For this reason, there is no way forward but a two state solution.

    There will not be a stable Middle East until the Palestinian issue is resolved. There are far too many Arabs and Muslims in the Middle East who perceive that Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians is part of a larger pattern of behavior that has been hostile to not only the Palestinians but Muslims in the Middle East by Israel and the U.S. as well. The U.S. needs to divorce itself of its past in the Middle East and cannot do so until this issue is resolved.
    I'm not questioning that the two states solution is the only solution to the I-P conflict, but that solving the conflict will somehow bring stability to the Mideast.
    It's a ridiculous assertion that has no real logical basis. What does the Syrian civil war have to do with the I-P conflict? The Yemen crisis? The Egyptian protests? The situation in Iraq, Afghanistan? It's a delusional assertion.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,120

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Wrong as two left shoes. It is indeed a U.S. interest because it does support stability in the Middle East. Why? Because Israel wants to maintain a state that is Jewish in nature, so it is not going to expand Israel to make the Palestinians part of it. For this reason, there is no way forward but a two state solution.

    There will not be a stable Middle East until the Palestinian issue is resolved. There are far too many Arabs and Muslims in the Middle East who perceive that Israel's mistreatment of the Palestinians is part of a larger pattern of behavior that has been hostile to not only the Palestinians but Muslims in the Middle East by Israel and the U.S. as well. The U.S. needs to divorce itself of its past in the Middle East and cannot do so until this issue is resolved.
    Is there any one really stupid enough to believe the civil wars going on in Syria and Yemen would go away if the Palestinian issue was resolved? How about if the MB was put back in power in Egypt, or that Iran would not continue their quest to control the ME.

    Based on the post above you want us to believe you really are that stupid. I refuse to come to that conclusion. Please clarify.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has support for Israel become the new GOP litmus test?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    The world and the attacks on Israel have changed since Baker was in a position of power.
    What James Baker said is the truth. The Israel was blocking the creation of a Palestinian state then, they are blocking it now.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •