View Poll Results: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, laws need to be constantly reviewed

    14 43.75%
  • no, laws should be forever until replaced

    9 28.13%
  • Other - explain in thread

    8 25.00%
  • Welcome To Costco I Love You

    1 3.13%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,466

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The idea that a law comes up for review every ten years is so utterly ridiculous if one for one key factor - TIME. Congress or no state legislature has the time to properly do this. Its just fantasy.

    Most Congressmen spend half their time running for re-election. Reviewing previously passed laws would be a better use of their time. Repealing even a bad law is a difficult undertaking. Considering that many laws have unanticipated consequences not having a review mechanism seems to me to be a defect in the system.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  2. #42
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,604
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    I was looking at the astounding number of federal laws passed every single year, and it occurred to me: part of the problem is that elected officials feel the need to "do something". With millions of laws on the books, all they can do is make more and more laws, which further and further stifle us as a country.



    I propose that all laws not specifically enumerated in The Constitution expire after 10 years.

    This would give us

    A) something for the politicians to "do" without thinking of new crap to tie us up with
    B) it would mean "bad" law doesn't last for decades (NFA Act '37 for example)
    C) It would mean law more closely matches the current political makeup. No ramming something through in the dead of the night which is still there years later, even though it was passed through deceit and legislative maneuvering ala ObamaCare, Social Security etc....
    And you think the chaos in Congress is bad now?? They can't even handle passing a few laws. Imagine them trying to update every single law every ten years??? That would be crazy. All hell will break loose. The system would stop working and anarchy would ensue.. Or maybe that's what you want eh?
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Was incorrect since it fails to take in the very real world problem that even in a full time legislature or Congress - there is simply NOT the time to review 10% of all past laws each year. Its just an impossible dream that has no relationship to the reality of what happens in a legislature.
    No. You completely missed my point. Go back and read, very carefully, what I wrote.

    Right now, they have TOO MUCH time because they keep passing TOO MANY laws that are questionable and unnecessary at best, and borderline insidious at worst. Having less time to deal with all the laws might actually be a good thing because then many of the questionable laws would fall off the books through attrition. Once that happened, the time/law ratio would balance out and your concern would fade away.

    You make the mistake of presuming all laws are good laws and thus should be dealt with and renewed (in such a scenario).
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    most of the laws being passed federally are nothing more than crap by people pretending they are doing something useful

    what we really need are judges that actually start enforcing the tenth amendment
    Np doubt with with Republicans firmly in control of majorities in both houses of Congress your statement may well prove prophetic.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    More left wing government-worshipping nonsense that we should recognize for exactly what it is.

    Attachment 67182419
    If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery I guess I should be bowled over by your post.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Most Congressmen spend half their time running for re-election. Reviewing previously passed laws would be a better use of their time. Repealing even a bad law is a difficult undertaking. Considering that many laws have unanticipated consequences not having a review mechanism seems to me to be a defect in the system.
    I spent 33 years teaching. I try to no longer post in education threads because I got sick and tired of being sick and tired trying to argue with people who had no idea what they were talking about as they did not have any real experience with that issue.

    This reminds me of that.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    No. You completely missed my point. Go back and read, very carefully, what I wrote.

    Right now, they have TOO MUCH time because they keep passing TOO MANY laws that are questionable and unnecessary at best, and borderline insidious at worst. Having less time to deal with all the laws might actually be a good thing because then many of the questionable laws would fall off the books through attrition. Once that happened, the time/law ratio would balance out and your concern would fade away.

    You make the mistake of presuming all laws are good laws and thus should be dealt with and renewed (in such a scenario).
    I said no such thing that all laws are good laws. No such thing. I simply provided reality in the observation that there is simply no time available for a legislator to review 10% of ALL the laws ever passed each term in addition to their normal and usual duties of office.

    I spent 33 years teaching. I try to no longer post in education threads because I got sick and tired of being sick and tired trying to argue with people who had no idea what they were talking about as they did not have any real experience with that issue.

    This reminds me of that.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #48
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I said no such thing that all laws are good laws. No such thing. I simply provided reality in the observation that there is simply no time available for a legislator to review 10% of ALL the laws ever passed each term in addition to their normal and usual duties of office.
    If legislators made reviewing old laws a priority they would make the time.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    If legislators made reviewing old laws a priority they would make the time.
    Perhaps they could pass a law giving legislators 36 hours a day and that would provide the extra time?

    I spent 33 years teaching. I try to no longer post in education threads because I got sick and tired of being sick and tired trying to argue with people who had no idea what they were talking about as they did not have any real experience with that issue.

    This reminds me of that.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #50
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should ALL laws sunset after 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Perhaps they could pass a law giving legislators 36 hours a day and that would provide the extra time?
    They don't need a 36 hour day they just need to make it a priority, as I already said. See... even a reasonable answer prompts your to post ad hominems. Pavlovian.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    PI spent 33 years teaching. I try to no longer post in education threads because I got sick and tired of being sick and tired trying to argue with people who had no idea what they were talking about as they did not have any real experience with that issue.
    You apparently wasted your time then and continue to do so.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •