View Poll Results: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 48.28%
  • No

    14 48.28%
  • Maybe

    1 3.45%
  • Don't know

    0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    I think it is a bad idea to have justices on the Supreme Court for life. They should serve 14-16 years at most.

  2. #2
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,940

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    i vote yes.....lifetime appointment

    but with a caveat

    they all must show still being of sound mind.....

    i like the experience and wisdom of age.....but we all know that the longer we live, the chance of something happening to our mental faculties

    as long as they stay sharp.....keep em on the bench
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,249

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think it is a bad idea to have justices on the Supreme Court for life. They should serve 14-16 years at most.
    If their term is not for life, they must be totally secure in their pension income and be barred from later employment.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by gdgyva View Post
    i vote yes.....lifetime appointment

    but with a caveat

    they all must show still being of sound mind.....

    i like the experience and wisdom of age.....but we all know that the longer we live, the chance of something happening to our mental faculties

    as long as they stay sharp.....keep em on the bench
    I think that lifetime appointments, combined with the concept of judicial review that was established with Marbury vs Madison gives people with such lengthy terms too much power in a democratic system.

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I think it is a bad idea to have justices on the Supreme Court for life. They should serve 14-16 years at most.
    With very few exceptions most past SCOTUS justices have served for less than 16 years. We now have a more than the average number of long serving SCOTUS justices (5 currently serving for more than 16 years).

    List of United States Supreme Court Justices by time in office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The average age of SCOTUS appointees is still over 50 so we can expect them to serve no more than 30 years (1,5 generations?) which is not really that long in terms of history.

    Are Supreme Court Nominees Getting Younger? - Smart Politics
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    With very few exceptions most past SCOTUS justices have served for less than 16 years. We now have a more than the average number of long serving SCOTUS justices (5 currently serving for more than 16 years).

    List of United States Supreme Court Justices by time in office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The average age of SCOTUS appointees is still over 50 so we can expect them to serve no more than 30 years (1,5 generations?) which is not really that long in terms of history.

    Are Supreme Court Nominees Getting Younger? - Smart Politics
    Well, like you said, we have five that are over 16 years and that it way too long. Think about it, these guys have the power to strike down laws passed by a democratically elected congress. That is a lot of power to give to people to have until they see fit to retire.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well, like you said, we have five that are over 16 years and that it way too long. Think about it, these guys have the power to strike down laws passed by a democratically elected congress. That is a lot of power to give to people to have until they see fit to retire.
    Laws (or executive actions) that violate the constitution, either by exceeding federal constitutional powers or by violating rights of the states/people, should be stuck down. IMHO, the SCOTUS has not done enough to strike down laws that violate the constitution, for example where does the constitution grant federal power over education, to give funds to individuals (or companies) not in exchange for any specific goods/services or the ability to tax people based on how they did not spend their money?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Laws (or executive actions) that violate the constitution, either by exceeding federal constitutional powers or by violating rights of the states/people, should be stuck down. IMHO, the SCOTUS has not done enough to strike down laws that violate the constitution, for example where does the constitution grant federal power over education, to give funds to individuals (or companies) not in exchange for any specific goods/services or the ability to tax people based on how they did not spend their money?
    I agree that laws that violate the constitution should be struck down. And as a matter of fact, if it were not for the Supreme Court, I would not have been able to go to school with whites. Its as simple as that. That said however, this is a democracy and giving people the power for life, to strike down laws that the deem unconstitutional gives them quite a bit of power that can be used to subvert the democratic process.

    Now to your example, it illustrates the point well. There is all types of language in the constitution, some general and vague, and some that is rather specific. As a result of that depending on how the Justices that are serving at the time want to construe what is in the constitution, they can get whatever federal power that they need. As a result, that demonstrates the need for Justices to serve for a limited amount of time.

  9. #9
    Sage
    faithful_servant's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Central Oregon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,675

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Absolutely not!! Two 6 year terms with a confirmation vote by the Senate after the first 6 years for the Supreme Court and the Circuit Courts. New SC judges should be come from the Circuit Court judges who have served at least one full 6 year term and have passed the 6 year confirmation vote.
    Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals, yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work. - Laura Bush

  10. #10
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Should Supreme Court Justices Serve For Life?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I agree that laws that violate the constitution should be struck down. And as a matter of fact, if it were not for the Supreme Court, I would not have been able to go to school with whites. Its as simple as that. That said however, this is a democracy and giving people the power for life, to strike down laws that the deem unconstitutional gives them quite a bit of power that can be used to subvert the democratic process.

    Now to your example, it illustrates the point well. There is all types of language in the constitution, some general and vague, and some that is rather specific. As a result of that depending on how the Justices that are serving at the time want to construe what is in the constitution, they can get whatever federal power that they need. As a result, that demonstrates the need for Justices to serve for a limited amount of time.
    On the flip side, it would force SCOTUS turnover regardless of their actions, thus increasing political influence over appointments. In any case, it would require a constitutional amendment to limit their terms. Allowing justices to retire when their likely replacement shares their ideological veiws is not such a bad thing, as it may help to reduce political influence rather than to increase it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •