View Poll Results: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 32.56%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Other

    11 25.58%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77

Thread: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

  1. #31
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I disagree. The rate of oil consumption is closely tied to the level of economic activity. If the various environmental problems (ex AGW, soil erosion, decreasing supplies of fresh water, etc) have the effect on economic activity that is expected, then that activity will decrease and with it, so will the use of oil.
    You are not also taking into account of all the developing countries and growing population EVERYWHERE. The Asian Pacific countries have surpassed the United states by 10 million barrels per day in the last 10 years, while the US's consumption is stagnant.

  2. #32
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Was it idealism to think we could put a man on the moon in a decade? What is crazy is this attitude of fatalism and helplessness. Do you think that is what America was built on?
    Putting a man on the moon didn't have the limits of convincing EVERYONE ON THE PLANET to do what we want....

  3. #33
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    The infrastructure for oil is already in place. You think the reason for all the wealth in Saudi Arabia and UAE is their is because there is no profit from oil? There is TONS of profit, they could reduce the price of a barrel down by 75% and STILL make a profit. As oil runs out, there will be even more demand... you cannot fight this on a world scale
    Yes you can. When you have cheaper alternatives, people will default to them. And we can have cheaper alternatives than oil.


    But we need to start pricing in the environmental costs of oil right now to make those alternatives reality.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #34
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Yes you can. When you have cheaper alternatives, people will default to them. And we can have cheaper alternatives than oil.


    But we need to start pricing in the environmental costs of oil right now to make those alternatives reality.
    I think that's fantasy... the world is already reliant on oil... and it will become expensive when it becomes rare...

    There are not any cheaper alternatives right now... I have a degree in Physics and environmental science and attended regular hearings on solutions to alternative energy... THERE IS NOTHING, until the oil price increases... and that is not happening on a world scale anytime soon...

    in fact, When oil becomes too expensive, other means of extracting oil will become more popular, like shale oil.... of which the US has the most in the world.

  5. #35
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Reverse climate change? Reverse it to what? The climate has been in a constant state of change for as long as there has been a climate.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #36
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,665

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think that's fantasy... the world is already reliant on oil... and it will become expensive when it becomes rare...

    There are not any cheaper alternatives right now... I have a degree in Physics and environmental science and attended regular hearings on solutions to alternative energy... THERE IS NOTHING, until the oil price increases... and that is not happening on a world scale anytime soon...

    in fact, When oil becomes too expensive, other means of extracting oil will become more popular, like shale oil.... of which the US has the most in the world.
    And as you develop those alternatives, they become cheaper. Solar is plummeting in cost now and is competitive with grid energy.

    http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ch-of-the-u-s/

    Extracting oil is expensive. Extracting shale oil is even more expensive. Add the environmental costs in as a carbon tax, and its cost prohibitive.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  7. #37
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    And as you develop those alternatives, they become cheaper. Solar is plummeting in cost now and is competitive with grid energy.

    Rooftop Solar Cost Competitive with the Grid in Much of the U.S. - Scientific American

    Extracting oil is expensive. Extracting shale oil is even more expensive. Add the environmental costs in as a carbon tax, and its cost prohibitive.
    The big reason on cost is because oil will be decreasing in availability. Oil in turn will also become cheaper in mist of competition...hence a lot fo the rumors of the current reduced in oil prices

  8. #38
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Sure. Wait 5,000 years and everyone will be freaking out about how interstellar space flight with our minds rather than spaceships is causing an ice age.

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You are not also taking into account of all the developing countries and growing population EVERYWHERE. The Asian Pacific countries have surpassed the United states by 10 million barrels per day in the last 10 years, while the US's consumption is stagnant.
    If the developed nations take an economic downturn, we'll bring the developing nations with us because their development depends on exporting goods to nations like ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    I have no idea.

    And it's not my problem...I will be dead before it starts affecting the planet in a major way.

    And I do my part for the environment...so my conscious is clear.


    As I have said many times - if humanity is too stupid to stop from destroying itself, then they deserve everything they get.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •