View Poll Results: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 32.56%
  • No

    18 41.86%
  • Other

    11 25.58%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,138

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    We are not talking about our lifetimes but that of our children and grandchildren. If we can cut fossil carbon emissions by 50% now we can double the time they have to find alternates. Throwing your hands up and doing nothing is not a plan.
    Don't put words in my mouth. It's a sure sign of someone without an argument.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  2. #22
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think it is a losing fight that only hurts the country in which you choose do hinder oil. And third world countries, who don't have the means we do, will be affected even more by carbon emission laws.


    But lets take a step back...

    You admitted it is impossible to stop oil from being produced until it cannot any more.

    how is that every little bit counts? There isn't any change that happened...it WILL be burned no matter what...if not here it will elsewhere.
    OIl will continue to be used, just at a reduced rate. Reducing the amount of carbon we pump into the air while increasing the amount of carbon we take out of the air (and sequestor into the ground in the form of trees and soil) can reduce the concentration of carbon in the atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #23
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Do you honestly think people, all around the world, will stop consuming oil to the point where oil producing countries will not need to produce as much of it???? In that case oil will become EVEN CHEAPER and increase the demand for it.

    ....you are not thinking this through
    There is a difference between stopping the use of oil and reducing the amount of oil we use.

    I don't think we'll ever stop using oil, but I think we will reduce the use.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    How do you do this when the population is doubling every 30 years????

    You cannot cut the emission by 50% in the entire world, The demand for oil will always be there.... if you decrease incentives, it will just be sold cheaper in to combat that. Oil producing countries will not reduce their oil production because there is money to be made and increasing demand EVERYYEAR.... you cannot stop this.
    Of course we can stop it. There is no law that says we need to burn every ounce of oil and coal and we can choose not to for the good of mankind.

  5. #25
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    We have cut gasoline consumption in the US to 2000 levels already and more reductions will be on the way due to new fuel economy standards. We can reduce our consumption of oil and coal.
    What has that done to the GLOBAL consumption of oil? NOTHING!!!! Asian countries have quadrupled their oil consumption.

    The only thing that is decreasing consumption is the OIL itself!!! It's beginning to run out!
    And it will continue to run out until there is no more.... that is inevitable

  6. #26
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Of course we can stop it. There is no law that says we need to burn every ounce of oil and coal and we can choose not to for the good of mankind.
    No we can't.... the problem is, not everyone is going to choose to, you can COUNT on that.

    this idealism is getting crazy

  7. #27
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    There is a difference between stopping the use of oil and reducing the amount of oil we use.

    I don't think we'll ever stop using oil, but I think we will reduce the use.
    We will be forced to because of the total oil in the oil in decreasing...
    that is the only thing that will reduce it.
    Because if WE don't consume it, someone else will....

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    No we can't.... the problem is, not everyone is going to choose to, you can COUNT on that.

    this idealism is getting crazy
    Was it idealism to think we could put a man on the moon in a decade? What is crazy is this attitude of fatalism and helplessness. Do you think that is what America was built on?

  9. #29
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    We will be forced to because of the total oil in the oil in decreasing...
    that is the only thing that will reduce it.
    Because if WE don't consume it, someone else will....
    I disagree. The rate of oil consumption is closely tied to the level of economic activity. If the various environmental problems (ex AGW, soil erosion, decreasing supplies of fresh water, etc) have the effect on economic activity that is expected, then that activity will decrease and with it, so will the use of oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #30
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is it realistically possible to reverse climate change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Oil cant get cheaper than the cost it takes to extract it.

    And by a carbon tax, we will shift the energy infrastructure to renewables, and those should eventually be cheaper than oil, which makes them more desirable.

    We cant reverse climate change, but we can slow the damage down.
    The infrastructure for oil is already in place. You think the reason for all the wealth in Saudi Arabia and UAE is their is because there is no profit from oil? There is TONS of profit, they could reduce the price of a barrel down by 75% and STILL make a profit. As oil runs out, there will be even more demand... you cannot fight this on a world scale

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •