View Poll Results: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 33.73%
  • No

    51 61.45%
  • Maybe

    3 3.61%
  • Don't know

    1 1.20%
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 497

Thread: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

  1. #371
    Student freeRadical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:57 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    275

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Agreed. The reality is that it is the Democrats who are harming the middle class. They do so with their class warfare schemes. When they make a big play of socking it to the rich, they simply hope that most cannot workout that every time they sock it to the rich....the extra cost runs downhill and squarely hits the middle class in a higher cost of goods and services.
    Actually, the reality is that the government defines the middle class as rich.
    "Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place."
    -- Frederic Bastiat

  2. #372
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    13,177

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    OK. I'm going to go back over it again.



    That is not true because people are not confined to state boundaries due to the large amount of interstate travel and communication. As a result of that what one state does can have a large effect on the people of other states.



    That is not true. It is a deception that people like Rush Limbaugh, Mike Savage, and Glenn Beck have propagated to demonize government in the minds of the middle class because they know that the only thing that is keeping the wealthy of this country from exploiting the middle class to death is government. Now what is true is that since the presidency of George W Bush, the government has assumed power that has eroded the civil liberties of everyone and that is disturbing. However that is something that has been supported by Republicans and Democrats as well. No, what has hurt the middle class the most is the outsourcing of jobs overseas which is something that Republicans have championed, and people like Bill Clinton as well. Over and above that, Republicans have opposed things like allowing people to refinance their student loans, extending unemployment benefits to middle class workers displaced due to the recession, and free community college. All three of these things would actually help the middle class, and Republicans have opposed all three.



    That is not true. The poor want better jobs and better opportunities to get themselves out of poverty. Government can play a role in facilitating such. That does not mean that the poor want to middle class to serve them. Again, this is a distortion that has been placed into the minds of the middle class by people like Rush Limbaugh, Mike Savage, and Glenn Beck. They have done this to distract the middle class from the fact that the capitalist class is forcing them to work harder simply to make ends meet. By demonizing the poor in this way, the attention of the middle class has been diverted from the real culprits to a class of people who are very easily victimized because they have no power. The poor have no power to make the middle class serve them. The wealthy people can and do exercise the power to force the middle class to serve them. That is the reality of the situation.

    Now, there you go. Those are your words verbatim and I have gone through it again, point by point. Here is your chance to shine. Defend your statements.
    Nope. You continue to mischaracterize what I posted. And the fact that people can leave a state that screws things up is a STRENGTH, not a problem. When the federal government screws up we have nowhere to go without giving up our country. That is a WEAKNESS involved in giving the federal government power that the states should have.

    Further, a huge WEAKNESS in law and policy is the assumption that a federal one-size-fits-all law or policy will always do more good than harm. The assumption that those in government will know what is good for us more than the people will decide for themselves what is good for us is not only irrational, but just plain dumb. And because those in government look to their own self interests first, just as most people do, we can pretty well figure out they aren't going to put us first or much care what the consequences are in general just so long as they can keep enough of their base voting for them.

    And it is that dynamic that is killing the middle class.

    I probably won't respond further to your posts so long as you continue to chop them up as you do. I hate that form of posting because it so often screws up the context intended by the member quoted. Just a personal preference (and pet peeve) of mine.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #373
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,780

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    If I were to track down the list of every democrat in Congress who voted for NAFTA, who do you expect would call me out as an extremist?
    Any democrat who wants these chamber of commerce democrats in office.Republicans who would call you a left wing extremist for not supporting so called moderates.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #374
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,600

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Therefore the government should allow student loan customers to refinance their loans.
    Where are you coming up with the idea that the government does not allow student loan customers to refinance? That's false. The government has no such regulation, or even policy.

    That's been pointed out several times in this thread, but you choose to ignore.

  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Is see no reason why anyone should be forbidden to renegotiate or refinance their education with any lender that agrees to a better deal. Fortunately, there aren't any prohibitions against that, so I don't see the problem.
    The government should have a program that allows student loan customers to refinance their loans. It is simply not practical to expect that the typical borrower will have the means to refinance a typical debt of $27,000. Even refinancing a tangible asset like a home is not simple these days. Ask Bernanke

    Despite having served as one of the most central figures in the global economy, even Ben Bernanke has difficulty refinancing his mortgage.

    Addressing a the National Investment Center for Seniors Housing and Care conference in Chicago on Thursday, the former Federal Reserve chairman said that "I recently tried to refinance my mortgage and I was unsuccessful in doing so,"
    ...
    Ben Bernanke turned down for mortgage refinancing

  6. #376
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,600

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The government should have a program that allows student loan customers to refinance their loans. It is simply not practical to expect that the typical borrower will have the means to refinance a typical debt of $27,000. Even refinancing a tangible asset like a home is not simple these days. Ask Bernanke



    Ben Bernanke turned down for mortgage refinancing
    So you believe you have the right to do stupid things like borrow more than you can afford to repay, which you do, and the government and the taxpayer has the obligation to make you whole, which they don't.

    Your argument is not that the government prevents you from refinancing your loan, but rather that the government should pick up part or all the costs incurred in the refinancing.

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    So you believe you have the right to do stupid things like borrow more than you can afford to repay, which you do, and the government and the taxpayer has the obligation to make you whole, which they don't.

    Your argument is not that the government prevents you from refinancing your loan, but rather that the government should pick up part or all the costs incurred in the refinancing.
    Free education, anyone? Let's keep money out of education.

  8. #378
    Magic!

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    25,532

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Any democrat who wants these chamber of commerce democrats in office.Republicans who would call you a left wing extremist for not supporting so called moderates.
    What you're talking about is not how 99.99% of threads on this forum shapes up. You are literally the only conservative I can think of who is regularly comfortable with breaking this mold and will actually take a decisive stand for policies that may potentially aid the the middle class at the expense of the rich. Go to any thread (again, where the interests of the rich are pitted against the interests of the poor/middle class) and you'll see that what I'm talking about is super consistent. Why even deny this?

  9. #379
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,600

    Re: Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dovkan View Post
    Free education, anyone? Let's keep money out of education.
    And how do you propose to do that? Buildings must be built, professors and bathroom cleaners must be hired, textbooks must be bought.

    Ain't no free lunch. Somebody must foot the bill.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    06-05-15 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    2,264

    Are Republicans against helping the middle class?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    And how do you propose to do that? Buildings must be built, professors and bathroom cleaners must be hired, textbooks must be bought.

    Ain't no free lunch. Somebody must foot the bill.
    Well.. With communism.. Hehe.
    Last edited by Dovkan; 03-29-15 at 12:18 PM. Reason: t

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •