View Poll Results: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    52 100.00%
  • Maybe

    0 0%
  • Don't know

    0 0%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 128

Thread: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

  1. #111
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I don't know what you are. Actually you may be. But whatever you are, you are certainly running interference for Sunstein. There is no doubt, he clearly said he can conceive of a scenario in which the government might feel compelled to ban CT. No doubt about it. You can try to smudge over that if you want, but it's not going to work.
    How is what I am doing different from pointing out issues with the basis of your assertions?


    What criteria did you use to rule out the seemingly simpler explanation that I just find your argument faulty?
    I may be wrong.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    How is what I am doing different from pointing out issues with the basis of your assertions?
    What is different is that you are not merely pointing out issues with what I have put forward. You are trying smear the whole notion that Sunstein's view, that the government might think of banning CT in certain cases, is troubling. It is one thing to point out issues, it is another thing to create a smear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    What criteria did you use to rule out the seemingly simpler explanation that I just find your argument faulty?
    The notion that you want to put forward is that Sunstein was merely imagining a hypothetical that could be conceived by the human mind and not something that could be realistically considered. While it is true that he was creating a hypothetical, what is troubling is that his thought process led him to come to the conclusion that the government could in certain circumstances consider banning a CT. To see the problem with this, if we were to merely consider what could be conceived by the human mind, one could imagine that the government could cut out the tongues of people who engaged in a CT under such circumstances. However, there is no need to consider such a notion because it is simply not one of the options the government would realistically consider. One the other hand, Mr Sunstein's thought process leads him to believe, that the government could actually consider a ban on a CT. Therefore he has used the word, "thinkable." That Mr Sunstein could rationalize such a ban on the government's part is troubling, particularly if he were to be on the Supreme Court.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    I just can't believe that there are people that are unaware of the fact that all governments conspire, and, that people think that all conspiracies are theories. What percentage of human beings are morons? Apparently more than we once thought!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I just can't believe that there are people that are unaware of the fact that all governments conspire, and, that people think that all conspiracies are theories. What percentage of human beings are morons? Apparently more than we once thought!
    Again, some of it is that people are scared. If you dare say the government is conspiring to do anything, they will smear you as a weird conspiracy theorist. That is how they keep such notions down. They have learned the art of suppression in that way.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Again, some of it is that people are scared. If you dare say the government is conspiring to do anything, they will smear you as a weird conspiracy theorist. That is how they keep such notions down. They have learned the art of suppression in that way.
    Well, we shall not be scared.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #116
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Ban freedom of thought and freedom of speech? And what if it turns out they were right?

    "Oh c'mon, there's no way the government of the greatest country on earth...

    - conducted secret tests on black people to see what the long term effects of syphilis are.
    - overthrew the democratically elected government of Chile and installed homocidal dictator Augusto Pinnichet.
    - ordered the assassination of Martin Luther King. (See http://www.australiansforliberty.org...ssination.html)
    - collected the private emails of millions of innocent Americans without warrants
    - spied on Fox News Channel's Brit Hume and his entire family
    - allowed the president of the United States schedule to be reviewed by a psychic fortune teller
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Ban freedom of thought and freedom of speech? And what if it turns out they were right?

    "Oh c'mon, there's no way the government of the greatest country on earth...

    - conducted secret tests on black people to see what the long term effects of syphilis are.
    - overthrew the democratically elected government of Chile and installed homocidal dictator Augusto Pinnichet.
    - ordered the assassination of Martin Luther King. (See http://www.australiansforliberty.org...ssination.html)
    - collected the private emails of millions of innocent Americans without warrants
    - spied on Fox News Channel's Brit Hume and his entire family
    - allowed the president of the United States schedule to be reviewed by a psychic fortune teller
    You make good posts. I don't know if you are conservative or not, but if you are, I wish there were more like you.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Ban freedom of thought and freedom of speech? And what if it turns out they were right?

    "Oh c'mon, there's no way the government of the greatest country on earth...

    - conducted secret tests on black people to see what the long term effects of syphilis are.
    - overthrew the democratically elected government of Chile and installed homocidal dictator Augusto Pinnichet.
    - ordered the assassination of Martin Luther King. (See http://www.australiansforliberty.org...ssination.html)
    - collected the private emails of millions of innocent Americans without warrants
    - spied on Fox News Channel's Brit Hume and his entire family
    - allowed the president of the United States schedule to be reviewed by a psychic fortune teller
    And that's just the short list.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #119
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You make good posts. I don't know if you are conservative or not, but if you are, I wish there were more like you.
    Thanks. I consider myself conservative but since 2008 it seems the GOP has lost its mind. Most of my friends think I've lost mine. :-)
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should the government ban conspiracy theorizing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Thanks. I consider myself conservative but since 2008 it seems the GOP has lost its mind. Most of my friends think I've lost mine. :-)
    You are very welcome. To be honest with you, there is some merit to conservative ideology. I just can't get with its current manifestation in practical terms.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •