View Poll Results: What is the best example of fair punishment for a week?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Timmy has 2 toys, Tommy has 4 toys. Both boys loose all toys.

    21 84.00%
  • Timmy has 2 toys, Tommy has 4 toys. Both boys loose 1 toy.

    2 8.00%
  • Timmy has 2 toys, Tommy has 4 toys. Both boys loose 2 toys.

    1 4.00%
  • Timmy has 2 toys, Tommy has 4 toys. Both boys loose 50% of their toys.

    1 4.00%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127

Thread: "Fair" punishment

  1. #31
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    It's not that at all. If you prefer, you can answer as which punishment is most effective.
    There is no definitive answer. Different kids react in their own way. I have three kids, and I had to handle each differently as each responded differently.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    I'm hiding something by asking your opinion?
    There is a clear intent behind the question that you have yet to share.

  3. #33
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    a real fair punishment is an eye for an eye .
    Or at least getting their butt busted.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  4. #34
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The poll question deals with sentencing for an infraction, I picked option #2 because it is the least severe. If a fine, penalty or sentence is to be equal or "fair" then it may not vary based on anything except the nature of the offense, and possibly one's prior record of offenses. The concept of taking a percentage of one's assets is not fair because that implies that jaywalking is not equally serious based on one's wealth. The example should have included a child with 100 toys and a child with no toys - which makes it impossible to punish the child with no toys and far less likely to see option #1 as fair.
    Thank you for answering. It's ironic - I avoided the '100 toy' specifically to avoid the "class warfare" implication.

    Let me ask two questions:

    Do any of the answers make for a more effective (now forgetting 'fair') punishment? In otherwords, is one kid more likely to have "learned his lesson"?

    What would you have chosen if #2 wasn't available? I look at X toys as completely arbitrary, but your response is not unlike other responses that I got. You somehow arrive at X as a cost of the crime (please feel free to correct me, it is not my intent to misrepresent).

  5. #35
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Since Tommy has 4 toys and Timmy only has 2 then the only fair thing would be to have Tommy give Timmy one of his toys so that both have 3. In that way Tommy will feel the sting of the righteous hand of justice and Timmy will be less inclined to misbehave because he is now on the same socioeconomic level as Tommy.

    While it would appear at first glance that taking all toys away from both boys would achieve the same result this would be false. To exercise that option would be to ignore the social benefits of "restorative justice".
    Hmm... Timmy and Tommy initially have 3 toys each. Timmy sells Tommy one of his toys and then snitches on him. The result of your justice is that Timmy uses that justice system to steal from Tommy.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #36
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm pretty sure the question revolves around the wealthy paying the same amount for violations such as speeding.
    I'm going on record now as saying that's exactly what it is about.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #37
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by pdog View Post
    The exact same thing. That is all that I'll say.
    Do you spank your children?
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  8. #38
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There is no definitive answer. Different kids react in their own way. I have three kids, and I had to handle each differently as each responded differently.
    It shouldn't be that hard to go a little bit abstract and consider both kids as the same. If that is not possible for you, assume 1000 tommy's and 1000 timmy's then and take the aggregate result.

  9. #39
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Wow... people have a hard time dealing with hypotheticals... its pretty common sense on what the thread means, but maybe not everyone has common sense...Now whether you can compare this demonstration to other things, is a question in and of itself...

    The first option, In this case, if you are trying to discipline children, the goal is to make them feel punished... the kid with more toys will still have toys to play with if any of the other options are used... the impact on the children would not be equal, the one with fewer toys is left with nothing... same with the progressive option, no matter what the kid with less toys gets more impacted because the value of the individual toys goes down the more you have.
    for example...
    VP=value points
    1 toy= 30 VP

    now when you already have one toy the VP of the toy you have decreases to
    1 extra toy= 15 VP

    now when you already have two toys the VP of the toy you have decreases to
    1 extra toy= 7 VP

    now when you already have three toys the VP of the toy you have decreases to
    1 extra toy= 3 VP

    so
    Kid with...
    1 toy=30 VP
    2 toys=45 VP
    3 toys=52 VP
    4 toys=55 VP

    so if you introduce a progressive system Kid with 2 toys decrease to one, kid with 4 toys decreases to 2
    kid with 2 toys lost 15 VPs
    kid with 4 toys lost 10 VPs
    *Depending on the value deprecation of toys when amount of toys increase, this relationship changes, AND the value per toy would be different for each child just based on their attitude...so this is an all around imprecise/unfair method*

    This example also shows that kid with 4 toys actually loses more value when all toys get taken away.

    With this VP example it is impossible to be 100% fair in this instance...a progressive punishment isn't equal because the oject itself get depreciated as well... so it's double scaled.

    Since no option is fair.... taking them all away gives the full affect of them punishment equally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are taking away the toys permanently...in that case boy with 4 toys is getting punished far worse because he is permanently losing more VP... THEN a progressive punishment system would be more fair.

  10. #40
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: "Fair" punishment

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    There is a clear intent behind the question that you have yet to share.
    You can continue to be skeptical of my genuine interest in people's analysis of these question. Will I later attempt to draw parallels later? Perhaps. But even that will be grammar experiment. Was I surprised by that other thread? Yes. But it wasn't the answers, it was the indirection. I see three components to this discussion and I'm merely trying to isolate one without somebody talking about another. Seriously, don't answer. It won't be the end of my world, but all that will do is skew my results. I would prefer to have your answer. I've said this before - people assume that I'm trying to change their mind. What I'm really trying to do is understand their mind and have sympathy for their position.

    What are you afraid of? We're not in the same room. I have no ability to embarrass you in front of your friends. You have an opportunity to explain your logic. Take it.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •