View Poll Results: Should voting be mandatory?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 15.69%
  • No

    40 78.43%
  • Unsure

    0 0%
  • Did Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow this year?

    3 5.88%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69

Thread: Should voting be mandatory?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Absolutely not. We have enough ignorant idiots at the polls already.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #12
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Absolutely not. We have enough ignorant idiots at the polls already.
    I agree - all the evidence anyone needs is my state is full of elected republicans....

    More seriously, I don't think voting should be mandatory, but I would fully support a national holiday for major elections, and/or weekend voting. No reason to make it difficult or inconvenient, and Tuesday voting has never made sense on any level.

  3. #13
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    I would support mandatory military service before I supported mandatory voting.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #14
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I would support mandatory military service before I supported mandatory voting.
    As long as the rich get no benefits and no safe desk jobs no matter who mommy and daddy are, I think that would be the best thing evah.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I would support mandatory military service before I supported mandatory voting.
    I would support mandatory voting before mandatory military service. Forcing someone to fight, kill and possibly die for you is far worse than forcing someone to vote, imho.

  6. #16
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I would support mandatory voting before mandatory military service. Forcing someone to fight, kill and possibly die for you is far worse than forcing someone to vote, imho.
    I disagree. I think forcing the population to POSSIBLY fight, kill, and die for the actions of their politicians will result in MUCH more careful selection of said politicians.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #17
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Last Seen
    04-15-15 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I agree - all the evidence anyone needs is my state is full of elected republicans....

    More seriously, I don't think voting should be mandatory, but I would fully support a national holiday for major elections, and/or weekend voting. No reason to make it difficult or inconvenient, and Tuesday voting has never made sense on any level.
    Absolutely. I don't think voting should be made mandatory because that would present all sorts of constitutional issues...look at the Obamacare mandate and all the ink spilled and money spent over that.

    But voting should be made easier, and that can be done without the constitutional issues. A national holiday for national elections makes the most sense. And absentee voting should be encouraged. The concerns that went into making a workday in November the day to vote are utterly obsolete.

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Should voting be mandatory?
    absolutely not. Wouldn't the apathetic then sell their vote to the highest bidder?
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,957

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Bribing people to vote is just as bad as forcing people to vote.People should vote because they believe in the candidate they are voting for. Not because of some law forcing them, a bribe or some idiotic celebrity telling people they should vote.Quality over quantity.
    Call it MOTIVATION TO VOTE or MOTIVOTE.

    Bribery is such an unattractive word. And in this case it would not even be accurate.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #20
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Should voting be mandatory?

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    I agree - all the evidence anyone needs is my state is full of elected republicans....

    More seriously, I don't think voting should be mandatory, but I would fully support a national holiday for major elections, and/or weekend voting. No reason to make it difficult or inconvenient, and Tuesday voting has never made sense on any level.
    There are reasons I've got permanent mail ballot status, I see no reason to stand in a line with a bunch of idiots to vote. I have weeks to fill out my ballot and put it in the mail. No muss, no fuss.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •