View Poll Results: Are you tired of the "but but but!" statements?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 100.00%
  • No

    0 0%
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

  1. #1
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    Now I know that his has been done by both sides of the aisle and I'm not going to single anyone or any party out. But aren't you all TIRED of it? It seems that I can't get past a single day without reading some thread or other that blames X on a party and then someone else comes along and says "But but but!" (or some other verbiage but ends up being and meaning the same dang thing).

    I mean come on! Of COURSE the other side has done the same dang thing. We all know this! But just because the other side did it to doesn't make it right or acceptable for "your" side to do the same thing. By saying "but but but!" all that people are doing is attempting to deflect from the wrong doing of "their side". Or it is being done just to argue for the sake of arguing (stupid and annoying imo). I know I know, its claimed that its done in order to try and point out hypocrisy. But COME ON! We all know better. We know that "our" side has done it also. Just as we know "their" side did it also.

    In essence, can't we just start advancing the conversations past this junk?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #2
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #3
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    You mean the statements like "But but but Jeb Bush did it too! Colin Powell did it too!".

    Yeah, they're as cerebral and meaningful as when my kid breaks curfew and says "But 3 other guys did it too!".
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  4. #4
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,275

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    It depends on the person's goal. If they are saying "but, but, but" in order to justify the wrong behavior then that is bad. Howver, if the person is saying it to point out the hypocrisy or partisanship of someone else then it is justified. So it depends on the motive of the perso saying "but, but, but".

  5. #5
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,480

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Now I know that his has been done by both sides of the aisle and I'm not going to single anyone or any party out. But aren't you all TIRED of it? It seems that I can't get past a single day without reading some thread or other that blames X on a party and then someone else comes along and says "But but but!" (or some other verbiage but ends up being and meaning the same dang thing).

    I mean come on! Of COURSE the other side has done the same dang thing. We all know this! But just because the other side did it to doesn't make it right or acceptable for "your" side to do the same thing. By saying "but but but!" all that people are doing is attempting to deflect from the wrong doing of "their side". Or it is being done just to argue for the sake of arguing (stupid and annoying imo). I know I know, its claimed that its done in order to try and point out hypocrisy. But COME ON! We all know better. We know that "our" side has done it also. Just as we know "their" side did it also.

    In essence, can't we just start advancing the conversations past this junk?
    The most guilty members are that group of ultra hyperpartisan posters who I don't need to name as everybody knows who they are. They are the ones that as soon as your see their name you already know what their post is going to be.

  6. #6
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Now I know that his has been done by both sides of the aisle and I'm not going to single anyone or any party out. But aren't you all TIRED of it? It seems that I can't get past a single day without reading some thread or other that blames X on a party and then someone else comes along and says "But but but!" (or some other verbiage but ends up being and meaning the same dang thing).

    I mean come on! Of COURSE the other side has done the same dang thing. We all know this! But just because the other side did it to doesn't make it right or acceptable for "your" side to do the same thing. By saying "but but but!" all that people are doing is attempting to deflect from the wrong doing of "their side". Or it is being done just to argue for the sake of arguing (stupid and annoying imo). I know I know, its claimed that its done in order to try and point out hypocrisy. But COME ON! We all know better. We know that "our" side has done it also. Just as we know "their" side did it also.

    In essence, can't we just start advancing the conversations past this junk?
    I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago, but I called it using the "Equivalency Defense". The notion that what my guy did that was wrong was actually ok because some guy on the other side did it also (and usually got away with it)... which I believe is the same thing you are saying.

    And I agree, it's really not a defense at all. IMO, it's an admission that the person was wrong, combined with a lack of intellectual integrity to admit it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,884

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Now I know that his has been done by both sides of the aisle and I'm not going to single anyone or any party out. But aren't you all TIRED of it? It seems that I can't get past a single day without reading some thread or other that blames X on a party and then someone else comes along and says "But but but!" (or some other verbiage but ends up being and meaning the same dang thing).

    I mean come on! Of COURSE the other side has done the same dang thing. We all know this! But just because the other side did it to doesn't make it right or acceptable for "your" side to do the same thing. By saying "but but but!" all that people are doing is attempting to deflect from the wrong doing of "their side". Or it is being done just to argue for the sake of arguing (stupid and annoying imo). I know I know, its claimed that its done in order to try and point out hypocrisy. But COME ON! We all know better. We know that "our" side has done it also. Just as we know "their" side did it also.
    In essence, can't we just start advancing the conversations past this junk?
    False pride and incapability to man up. We see our leaders do it, past, present, all sides of the aisle, and it has become a lucrative game. To advance one's standing or power, one has to make the competition, or those near, look inadequate.
    Look at what happens prior to the primaries. Only our favorite candidate will do, he/she alone has all the answers and all other candidates are just useless in winning against the other party's guy. Our favorite candidate doesn't get the nomination. Now all the sudden the candidate we swore was the most useless prior to the primaries is top notch, can't get any better....and is more capable than anyone and the only one who can win against the other party's guy.
    Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

    Why can't we advance conversations? It is more fun to argue, to get one over on others, to beat our chests with pride, than to look deeper into an issue, to debate pros and cons and to admit now and then that we don't have all the answers.

  8. #8
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is anyone else tired of the "but but but!" statements?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    The most guilty members are that group of ultra hyperpartisan posters who I don't need to name as everybody knows who they are. They are the ones that as soon as your see their name you already know what their post is going to be.
    I agree with this.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •