View Poll Results: is suicide a cowardly act?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 11.59%
  • No

    39 56.52%
  • Depends, ya know?

    22 31.88%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 115

Thread: Is suicide cowardly?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Skeptic Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    10,284

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Is taking pain medicine cowardly?

  2. #42
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Suicide's kind of none of my business unless it's me considering it or someone in my family.

    Impossible to answer the question about being cowardly unless I know the specifics, the impact it had on other people, the reason for it, etc.

    By the way, I can say without hesitation that a murder-suicide is cowardly.
    Never thought of this. I think it's a rilliant answer and I agree.

    Murder suicide in all of its forms is most definitely a cowardly act.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  3. #43
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 04:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Fear of confronting trials in their life or repercussions or responsibility?

    I think suicide is more of a selfish act than anything.
    That is mostly where I am on it. I have known people and of people who committed suicide for some pretty weak reasons--broken romance, career not panning out for them. I mean if you have stage 4 lung cancer and down a bottle of pills, that is one thing, but if you hang yourself so that your partner in a rocky relationship has to be the one to find you, then that is about as selfish and self-involved as it gets.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    And there are times in life where selfishness is exactly what's called for. You try to make it sound like selfishness is a bad thing, when in fact it's what makes the world go round and I have no doubt every poster on here was selfish about some aspect of their lives in the past 24 hours, and the next 24 hours. Humans are selfish, suicide being selfish shouldn't be judged anymore harshly than the selfishness of speeding or taking the biggest portion of something or expecting sex from a partner instead of earning it and so on. For suicide to be bad due to selfishness, we'd have to be a society that believes (by our actions not our words) that selfishness is a bad thing. I don't see too many people actually believing that.
    Sex as a bargaining chip.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #45
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Eternal torture vs oblivion....hmmm...I'd take the oblivion in a heartbeat if I had a choice between the two and no other choice at all. Assuming I was suicidal of course.
    The issue here is that you, apparently, think everyone is christian or some other form of Abrahamic theists.
    Not every religion threatens eternal damnation. Not everyone who is spiritual or believes in a god or after life follows a religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    The issue here is that you, apparently, think everyone is christian or some other form of Abrahamic theists.
    Not every religion threatens eternal damnation. Not everyone who is spiritual or believes in a god or after life follows a religion.
    Bold: Nope, I don't think that. However I cannot speak of what I don't know. Can you believe that absolutely no Christian or some other Abrahamic theists or atheist hasn't or won't commit suicide? (I know I wouldn't believe it) If not then its perfectly acceptable to use them as an example. Don't ya think?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #47
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    There are people with physiological troubles that you don't have. Well presumably anyway.
    Your point?

    Ought we have suicide booths on the street like in Futurama?

    I don't really care if some people have it tougher than others ... that's life. I have had it pretty tough at times, and I didn't take the easy way out and I never would, because I'm not weak.

    That might hurt some peoples feelings though...

  8. #48
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    In those cases it seems to me to be more of an "I know I'm guilty and will spend most of the rest of my days in prison, so I'm just going to call it quits right now." That's not fear so much as refusal to go through society's protocols for dealing with them.



    Its result is a complete elimination of the self, so I don't see how it could ever be construed as "selfish."
    I don't think those are most cases of that. There are many with family responsibilities that just "can't" handle it. ANY responsibilities actually that people feel trapped or can't get out of...

    And no, elimination of yourself so you don't have to worry, care, or endure anything about anyone anymore is selfish when you have people in your life that care, love, and rely on you.

  9. #49
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    And there are times in life where selfishness is exactly what's called for. You try to make it sound like selfishness is a bad thing, when in fact it's what makes the world go round and I have no doubt every poster on here was selfish about some aspect of their lives in the past 24 hours, and the next 24 hours. Humans are selfish, suicide being selfish shouldn't be judged anymore harshly than the selfishness of speeding or taking the biggest portion of something or expecting sex from a partner instead of earning it and so on. For suicide to be bad due to selfishness, we'd have to be a society that believes (by our actions not our words) that selfishness is a bad thing. I don't see too many people actually believing that.
    cool... maybe suicide should just be accepted as one of the way people choose to go huh?

    Suicide booths in futurama? Just pop in a quarter and enter then thing, it'll take care of it.

    lol, I find it very strange people love to empathize with people killing themselves, it's as if they want it to become something popular...

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    It can be, but it's also rather arrogant of others to assume it to be without knowing the circumstances.
    I pretty much agree with this. I believe it *can be* cowardly, but it depends on the circumstances and would be pretty rare. To be honest I cannot think of an example where it would be, though I'm sure there are some examples. I don't want to be absolute as almost nothing is 100% absolute. Fact is that the innate human will to live is exceedingly strong and a person usually goes through a great deal to get past that. It is no small decision.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •