View Poll Results: is suicide a cowardly act?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 11.59%
  • No

    39 56.52%
  • Depends, ya know?

    22 31.88%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 115

Thread: Is suicide cowardly?

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    I don't believe in heaven or hell - and the thought of death and oblivion does frighten me. So yes it does take bravery. To end yourself permanently.
    For YOU oblivion might frighten you. Oblivion obviously doesn't scare some. Indeed by attempting suicide the person is showing that they are far less fearful of oblivion than continuing on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    In fact I hold the exact opposite opinion. Those who think they do go somewhere after death - i think are cheating. Trying to cut in line in a sense. Cowardly avoiding life in attempt to get to whatever they think is on the other side.
    Eternal torture vs oblivion....hmmm...I'd take the oblivion in a heartbeat if I had a choice between the two and no other choice at all. Assuming I was suicidal of course.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #32
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    It really depends on why you commit suicide. I'm going to speak generally here but please note that this doesn't necessarily apply to EVERYONE. There are always exceptions.

    If its due to some chemical imbalance in the brain or always in extreme pain or due to a disease/virus that is 100% going to kill you then most definitely not. If its because you think that the world is out to get you and because nothing ever goes your way then yes it is.
    Really so only if you're involved in a medical situation where you'd die anyway? What's wrong with a person simple being fed up with their own lives with no resources or abilities or support system to change? They should be forced to suffer through their entire lives? That's dumb particularly when we as a planet are experiencing the over-population. If someone wants to die, they should have the right regardless of whether or not anyone thinks they have a "valid" reason. The fact that they themselves see a valid reason should be all that matters.
    Last edited by Summerwind; 03-20-15 at 07:04 AM.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  3. #33
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Fear of confronting trials in their life or repercussions or responsibility?

    I think suicide is more of a selfish act than anything.
    And there are times in life where selfishness is exactly what's called for. You try to make it sound like selfishness is a bad thing, when in fact it's what makes the world go round and I have no doubt every poster on here was selfish about some aspect of their lives in the past 24 hours, and the next 24 hours. Humans are selfish, suicide being selfish shouldn't be judged anymore harshly than the selfishness of speeding or taking the biggest portion of something or expecting sex from a partner instead of earning it and so on. For suicide to be bad due to selfishness, we'd have to be a society that believes (by our actions not our words) that selfishness is a bad thing. I don't see too many people actually believing that.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #34
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Really so only if you're involved in a medical situation where you'd die anyway? What's wrong with a person simple being fed up with their own lives with no resources or abilities or support system to change? They should be forced to suffer through their entire lives? That's dumb particularly when we as a planet are experiencing the over-population. If someone wants to die, they should have the right regardless of whether or not anyone things they have a "valid" reason. The fact that they themselves see a valid reason should be all that matters.
    What a grotesque way to look at the world. In reality there is no valid reason for suicide. The inherent dignity of human personhood does not permit it.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    And there are times in life where selfishness is exactly what's called for. You try to make it sound like selfishness is a bad thing, when in fact it's what makes the world go round and I have no doubt every poster on here was selfish about some aspect of their lives in the past 24 hours, and the next 24 hours. Humans are selfish, suicide being selfish shouldn't be judged anymore harshly than the selfishness of speeding or taking the biggest portion of something or expecting sex from a partner instead of earning it and so on. For suicide to be bad due to selfishness, we'd have to be a society that believes (by our actions not our words) that selfishness is a bad thing. I don't see too many people actually believing that.
    Geez, we've got Ayn Rand junior over here.

  6. #36
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    What a grotesque way to look at the world. In reality there is no valid reason for suicide. The inherent dignity of human personhood does not permit it.
    Bullcrap. Each humans dignity is independent and not all have it or have the same degree. I have no doubt that I'd rather have seen someone like Jeffry Dahmer commit suicide instead of what he did. Or the Boston bombers, or the police officer here in LA who shot someone after a bar disagreement and fled. Sorry, not every human deserves to live, hence not every human thinking about suicide or commiting suicide is "inherently" a person of dignity.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #37
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Geez, we've got Ayn Rand junior over here.
    Any Rand didn't recognize reality, she promoted a particular perspective. I'm not promoting it, simply recognizing it.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  8. #38
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Really so only if you're involved in a medical situation where you'd die anyway? What's wrong with a person simple being fed up with their own lives with no resources or abilities or support system to change? They should be forced to suffer through their entire lives? That's dumb particularly when we as a planet are experiencing the over-population. If someone wants to die, they should have the right regardless of whether or not anyone things they have a "valid" reason. The fact that they themselves see a valid reason should be all that matters.
    Strawman. I never said that they don't have a right to off themselves. If someone wants to kill themselves, for whatever reason, that is up to them. Not me. But whether someone has a right to kill themselves or not is not what the thread is about. The thread is about whether it is cowardly to commit suicide or not. The poll is open and you can see who voted for what. You'll see that my vote is "depends". And you'll see several posts of mine where I believe that some reasons for committing suicide is an act of cowardice and some are not. Killing oneself due to injuries or medical conditions is valid imo. Killing oneself just because your girlfriend/boyfriend left you is not a valid reason imo and therefore is cowardice to commit suicide.

    Next time you try to take someone to task be sure that you have read all of their responses and understand what they are saying and what the thread is about please.

    Oh and fyi, the world is not experiencing an over-population problem. According to scientists our worlds maximum "carry" ability is about 9-10 billion which is going to take about another 50-100 years before it hits that at current birth rates. However also according to scientists our worlds birth rate is declining. So by the time we do hit 9-10 billion it will have leveled off to the point where human beings are no longer expanding population wise.

    Of course with in 50-100 years I expect, if we played our cards right of course, that we'll have a colony on both Mars and the Moon. Of course I won't hold my breath on that though. But technology wise we could definitely have the ability to be there, particularly since we have the ability now...just don't want to pay for it. I expect that to change though once we do start hitting our peak sustainable level. Either that or a WW happens and our numbers are drastically reduced. So ultimately this is a non-issue.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #39
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    In your honest opinion, do you believe suicide to be a cowardly act?

    Context may be allowed (for those who wish to pick sometimes).

    EDIT

    *fail* forgot to add poll...

    DOUBLE EDIT

    poll is in.
    I don't think so but I do think it likely is an effect of mental illness.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  10. #40
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Suicide's kind of none of my business unless it's me considering it or someone in my family.

    Impossible to answer the question about being cowardly unless I know the specifics, the impact it had on other people, the reason for it, etc.

    By the way, I can say without hesitation that a murder-suicide is cowardly.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •