View Poll Results: is suicide a cowardly act?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 11.59%
  • No

    39 56.52%
  • Depends, ya know?

    22 31.88%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 115 of 115

Thread: Is suicide cowardly?

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    I suspect one has to be in great pain to take their own life and I am not going to judge that person as a coward.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #112
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,990
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    Interesting way to look at it, but i remember reading the #1 factor is despair. Whether that stems from a terminal illness, chronic poverty, imprisonment, or disability - those are more difficult/impossible to reverse than attitude
    I can see despair, as well. To my mind, though, those things end up linked. Hopelessness, a since of an inability to make changes, will often lead to anger and hate. Not the visible kind, with outbursts, but the kind that's focused inward, and bottled up.

    I think there is a fine line between a kid who'll take his own life, and a kid who goes to school prepared to shoot it up.
    That's just my personal theory, though. I have very little to prove that.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  3. #113
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,966

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    IMO many times, yes. And selfish.

    However those that do so because of great pain or terminal disease are more than understandable and I wish it were easier for them to include their families...and even a medical professional...in their choice. However if they do, in most circumstances those others would be charged with breaking the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #114
    Sage

    Scrabaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,574

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    I personally believe anyone that commits suicide is insane.
    Two of my siblings committed suicide and neither were insane. One was a victim of child sexual abuse and even as an adult, could not deal with it.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is suicide cowardly?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrabaholic View Post
    Two of my siblings committed suicide and neither were insane. One was a victim of child sexual abuse and even as an adult, could not deal with it.
    You have to remember that Navy, like many people, is just terrified of death and is reacting entirely emotionally. The only way he makes it through the day is by thinking people who disagree with his abject terror have something wrong with them. He can't accept that someone with nothing wrong with them would choose to end their own life for any reason.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •