View Poll Results: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 81.82%
  • No

    8 8.08%
  • Maybe

    9 9.09%
  • Don't know

    1 1.01%
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 312

Thread: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

  1. #281
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    37,326

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Oh look, another person who doesn't understand that a right to life does not entitle you to the service or property of others. Not surprisingly, it's one of the pro-abort left-wingers.
    you want to save the unborn baby but ignore the living ones.that is why you are never reliable.libertarianism doesnt approve everyone's right to live ?
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  2. #282
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,036

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    you want to save the unborn baby but ignore the living ones
    I want the right to life to be protected against aggression.

    Which means that I want aggressive killing to be prevented or punished. That is what a right to life means, it is the basis for a law preventing someone else from taking your life.


    You dying because you don't have property / currency to exchange for goods or services has nothing to do with rights aside from noting that you do not have a right to make someone else provide you with goods or services.

    People exchange goods and services in a voluntary manner because they get what they want out of the exchange - that's the free market. Sometimes people choose to provide currency or goods or services for free for someone else - that's charity.

  3. #283
    User wanderlust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In the sunshine
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    79

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    I want the right to life to be protected against aggression.

    Which means that I want aggressive killing to be prevented or punished. That is what a right to life means, it is the basis for a law preventing someone else from taking your life.


    You dying because you don't have property to exchange for goods or services has nothing to do with rights aside from noting that you do not have a right to make someone else provide you with goods or services. People exchange goods and services in a voluntary manner because they get what they want out of the exchange - that's the free market.
    Thin pieces of paper shouldn't determine whether someone has to live with pain or even die in my personal opinion. One surgery can put a person into debt for the rest of their life. If my appendix ruptures today and I could barely make ends meet financially then I would basically have to choose between dying or putting myself into massive debt. That's not a choice.

  4. #284
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,042

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Thin pieces of paper shouldn't determine whether someone has to live with pain or even die in my personal opinion. One surgery can put a person into debt for the rest of their life. If my appendix ruptures today and I could barely make ends meet financially then I would basically have to choose between dying or putting myself into massive debt. That's not a choice.
    Your house could burn down and you might end up homeless...in the winter...with the possibility of freezing to death. But if you have that thin piece of paper you are protected. Do you think the government should provide you with a replacement house just because you don't want to buy that piece of paper?
    TANSTAAFL

    “Certain types of loudmouthism should be a capital offense among decent people.” ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    you want to save the unborn baby but ignore the living ones.that is why you are never reliable.libertarianism doesnt approve everyone's right to live ?
    You could have attacked his position on the two issues in a far better way. As your argument stands you show a fundamental misunderstanding of what the right to life means. The right to life means that you have a right to be free of aggression towards your life, not that you have a right to healthcare treatment from another persson.

  6. #286
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    11,088

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    Private hospitals should not be compelled to give their services away.

    On the other a society that lets it's poor die in the street because they can't afford medical care is not a society I'd care to live in so I see a legitimate role for government in insuring a minimum standard of care for the poor either through government managed hospitals or government picking up the cost for medical care for theue poor.
    They are not forced. They just would lose a truckload of revenue if they did.

  7. #287
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    14,748

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Do you think the poor have a right to life, and therefore emergency medical care?
    In the Philippines, if you don't have the money, you don't get the treatment. Except for a couple (very, very underfunded) public hospitals, if you can't show ahead of time that you've got money for the treatment you need (even in the emergency room), then you will not get medical treatment there. Even then, once you're in the hospital, if you can't pay anymore, then you'll be kept there essentially as a prisoner until you can pay.

    So...that's life in a place where there is no "right to life" and "right to emergency medical care". Is that really something we want to see here?
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,463

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    Thin pieces of paper shouldn't determine whether someone has to live with pain or even die in my personal opinion. One surgery can put a person into debt for the rest of their life. If my appendix ruptures today and I could barely make ends meet financially then I would basically have to choose between dying or putting myself into massive debt. That's not a choice.
    Due to the system we have thin pieces of paper will more than likely be what people want in exchange for providing you a service, but that isn't necessarily the case. While it might be distasteful to you it is best that people pay for their own medical treatments so that everyone enjoys lower prices.
    Last edited by Henrin; 04-25-15 at 06:00 PM.

  9. #289
    User wanderlust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In the sunshine
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    79

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Your house could burn down and you might end up homeless...in the winter...with the possibility of freezing to death. But if you have that thin piece of paper you are protected. Do you think the government should provide you with a replacement house just because you don't want to buy that piece of paper?
    My house burning down and being homeless isn't the same thing as a life threatening surgery that I can't afford though. I can call for help, I can stay with family or friends, I can even get food and shelter temporarily if my house were to burn down, but I can't not get a ruptured appendix taken out or something else that is truly life threatening. For many people they actually have to choose between going to the hospital or taking a chance with their life all because of the extreme cost of healthcare, especially surgery, even with insurance it is still expensive for many people. I can replace a house, I can't replace myself.

  10. #290
    User wanderlust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    In the sunshine
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 04:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    79

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Due to the system we have thin pieces of paper will more than likely be what people want in exchange for providing you a service, but that isn't necessarily the case. While it might distasteful to you it is best that people pay for their own medical treatments so that everyone enjoys lower prices.
    But the prices aren't really low though unless you have good insurance and even then depending on the procedure it can still take you years if not decades to pay off all because of something that was totally out of your control. All I am saying is that there has to be a better way.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •