View Poll Results: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 81.82%
  • No

    8 8.08%
  • Maybe

    9 9.09%
  • Don't know

    1 1.01%
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 312

Thread: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    This is arguably the most ****ing retarded thing I have the misfortune to see every single time I read it, and yet I read it a lot around here.

    I'm sorry you people don't understand the difference between killing someone in aggression and not giving someone a good or service they don't pay for, but that difference remains huge.
    If you die, it doesn't matter whether you were shot or denied medical care because you were poor. Either way, you're just as dead and someone else made that happen. Many countries have Duty to Rescue Laws which I think is a good idea (if applied judiciously).
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 03-19-15 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #212
    Guru
    Declan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 03:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,670

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Health insurance is little more than legalized extortion. If they can afford to treat me for 30 cents on the dollar if I have health insurance, they could afford to treat me for 30 cents on the dollar if I did not.
    If I blow the conch and they don't come back; then we've had it. We shan't keep the fire going. We'll be like animals. We'll never be rescued.

  3. #213
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    28,920

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    how is it vague?

    if you mangle a leg gangrene can set in and kill.

    my wife works at a hospital, ...people have been known to come to the emergency room for the stupidest things......stubbing their toe, a cold, because they can't get an erection... among many other things.

    emergency in my mind, means a person is going to die soon, or within a few days if treatment is not sought.
    You had said "...complications can set in to cause death in a short amount of time.", and I suspect that some would take the "short amount of time" part and say it's not an emergency today, hence they're on their own. It still leaves room for interpretation.

    Note that I am not necessarily disagreeing with you on this point, I'm just trying to focus in on what I believe some are saying, but not being willing to confirm.

    I agree on the stubbed toe/cold stuff. We really should nip that in the bud.
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    03-24-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    7,690

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If that is true, that is a good point.
    Good Samaritan law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #215
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,009

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Good Samaritan laws don't require that any passer by stop to give aid, no one is required to stop and help anyone they don't want to help. They only stop those people who do stop from being sued when their aid either doesn't help or makes things worse.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  6. #216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The right to life has to do with other people acting to end your life, not getting services from other people. The very premise of your post is stupid to begin with since this entire subject is a violation of human rights as it makes hospital workers slaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You should research the right to life before you continue to speak of it. Why would the right to life violate the right to body sovereignty by its very existence? Does that make any sense to you?
    You want to put forward the notion that the right to life has nothing to do with getting the goods and services of others. However, the flaw is that you do not appear to realize that the natural resources upon which those goods and services rest, and without which they would not exist, were not created by those people, and as such, in truth, do not belong to them. Such resources were there before those persons were born, and will be there after they die. As a result of this, in the ultimate sense, they are not the true proprietors of those resources, but are merely temporarily using them to sustain their existence.

    Just as natural resources exist in nature without any need for help from those persons, humans beings exist in nature, IN THE GENERAL SENSE, without the help of such persons. Because no human being is responsible for bringing those resources into existence, they cannot be said to be the proprietors and therefore the resources are there for all to use to sustain their existence. The founders of the U.S. government recognized that governments come into existence so that men can secure their natural rights such as the right to life. Otherwise, as a result of greed, some might try to usurp the resources that are there in nature in such a way that prevents others from sustaining their existence by such resources and thus deprive them of right to live. Therefore we can see that the right to life does indeed entail more people acting to end life. Rather, it also entails the sustenance of the lives of citizens.

    Because governments restrict access to the resources of nature by its citizens, those governments must in return guarantee that their lives can be sustained. If they do no do so, they are merely facilitating the theft of the resources that are in nature by thieves who did not create those resources. If a government requires that a hospital give emergency care to the poor, it is facilitating the sustenance of the lives of such citizens in return for denying them access to the resources of nature. Therefore, forcing hospitals to give such emergency care is indeed related to the right to life, and is not restricted to the conditions that you put forward.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 04:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Actually Duty to Rescue is the applicable concept. It is law in some countries but as far as I can tell, not the USA. Good Samaritan laws absolve "good Samaritans" volunteers from liability for errors made while they attempt to help someone in an emergency.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    03-23-17 @ 06:15 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    30,588

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Done with you. Good day.
    You were done as soon as you started making an absurd argument that was contrary to what the Court held.
    Last edited by Excon; 03-20-15 at 05:05 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #219
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,505

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You want to put forward the notion that the right to life has nothing to do with getting the goods and services of others. However, the flaw is that you do not appear to realize that the natural resources upon which those goods and services rest, and without which they would not exist, were not created by those people, and as such, in truth, do not belong to them. Such resources were there before those persons were born, and will be there after they die. As a result of this, in the ultimate sense, they are not the true proprietors of those resources, but are merely temporarily using them to sustain their existence.

    Just as natural resources exist in nature without any need for help from those persons, humans beings exist in nature, IN THE GENERAL SENSE, without the help of such persons. Because no human being is responsible for bringing those resources into existence, they cannot be said to be the proprietors and therefore the resources are there for all to use to sustain their existence. The founders of the U.S. government recognized that governments come into existence so that men can secure their natural rights such as the right to life. Otherwise, as a result of greed, some might try to usurp the resources that are there in nature in such a way that prevents others from sustaining their existence by such resources and thus deprive them of right to live. Therefore we can see that the right to life does indeed entail more people acting to end life. Rather, it also entails the sustenance of the lives of citizens.

    Because governments restrict access to the resources of nature by its citizens, those governments must in return guarantee that their lives can be sustained. If they do no do so, they are merely facilitating the theft of the resources that are in nature by thieves who did not create those resources. If a government requires that a hospital give emergency care to the poor, it is facilitating the sustenance of the lives of such citizens in return for denying them access to the resources of nature. Therefore, forcing hospitals to give such emergency care is indeed related to the right to life, and is not restricted to the conditions that you put forward.
    Oh god. That is just a bunch of entitled nonsense. The labor that is called upon to provide you goods and services is not a natural resource nor it is open for all to own and use whenever they want. People like animals do not own anything but themselves by their mere existence, but territories and resources can be claimed and owned by anyone after they are born if they have a means to do it. The labor of your body is your property which permits you the ability to obtain property of natural resources and those items made from natural resources. Due to the ability to own your labor you have the ability to choose who you will trade with, what exactly you will trade and in what amount. If another person was to force you into trade they would aggressing on your person and property and subjecting you to slavery.

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    territories and resources can be claimed and owned by anyone after they are born if they have a means to do it.
    That's your problem right there. IF THEY HAVE THE MEANS TO DO IT. Humans simply don't have the horses to be proprietors the natural resources of nature. All such false claims of proprietorship will be rendered sterile in the due course of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The labor of your body is your property which permits you the ability to obtain property of natural resources and those items made from natural resources.
    The labor of your body is made possible by taking the goods and resources of nature which you did not create. You did not make the air that you breath, you did not make the water that you drink, you did not make the sunshine. None of these things came into existence by your labor. Furthermore, you did not make the body, the brain, the heart, the hands, the feet nor the legs that you have. As such, in reality, you own nothing.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •