View Poll Results: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 81.82%
  • No

    8 8.08%
  • Maybe

    9 9.09%
  • Don't know

    1 1.01%
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 312

Thread: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

  1. #201
    Temp Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    22,988

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes they can, if they are a private hospital or clinic not taking government payments.
    Well, I know about that. I'm in California and thems the rules.

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,417

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Providing emergency health care to the poor allows them to sustain their life. Therefore requiring hospitals to provide such emergency care supports the right of the poor to live. The problem with your thinking is that it values the service of emergency care more than it values the life of the poor. Therefore you cannot acknowledge that forcing hospitals to provide emergency care to the poor supports the right of the poor to live.
    The right to life has to do with other people acting to end your life, not getting services from other people. The very premise of your post is stupid to begin with since this entire subject is a violation of human rights as it makes hospital workers slaves.

  3. #203
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,417

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    That's not a reason to care.
    You're right it's not. Perhaps it's mean or insensitive to say, but I don't have to care that other people exist.

  4. #204
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,417

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    And as I have stated earlier, governments must constantly balance the sometimes competing interests of citizens in the exercise of their rights. In the case of providing emergency medical care to the poor, the right of the poor to live, trumps the right of the hospitals to deny such service.
    You should research the right to life before you continue to speak of it. Why would the right to life violate the right to body sovereignty by its very existence? Does that make any sense to you?

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    56,417

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    Ever notice people always want to "balance" things with the wealth, rights, and future of others, never their own?
    The whole balance of rights rhetoric is just a cover for an action that violates human rights and protects a bogus right declaration that is both illogical and in opposition to everything rights stand for.

  6. #206
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    28,852

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What do people mean... exactly... when they say "...only life-saving care, and that's it."?

    For example, if someone gets hit by a car and their leg is mangled, do we apply a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and send them on their way?

    Could you be a little more descriptive? Maybe provide an example of where the line would be?

    Thank you very much.
    Why am I not surprised that NO ONE who espouses this point-of-view has the balls to back it up?
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  7. #207
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,218

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why am I not surprised that NO ONE who espouses this point-of-view has the balls to back it up?
    life - threating would be a condition, which would be death will come from the injury soon, or it can mean because of the injury, complications can set in to cause death in a short amount of time.


    I am the President see me smile

  8. #208
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    28,852

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    life - threating would be a condition, which would be death will come from the injury soon, or it can mean because of the injury, complications can set in to cause death in a short amount of time.
    Even that is somewhat vague. The way many people make the statement I'm thinking they have something more definitive in mind.
    April Fool's Day is the one day of the year
    that people critically evaluate news articles before accepting them as true.

  9. #209
    Anti-democracy advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    China - teaching grasshopper
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,218

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Even that is somewhat vague. The way many people make the statement I'm thinking they have something more definitive in mind.
    how is it vague?

    if you mangle a leg gangrene can set in and kill.

    my wife works at a hospital, ...people have been known to come to the emergency room for the stupidest things......stubbing their toe, a cold, because they can't get an erection... among many other things.

    emergency in my mind, means a person is going to die soon, or within a few days if treatment is not sought.


    I am the President see me smile

  10. #210
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    51,542

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Heh, yeah. But that last, not really true. Though there's always going to be room for improvement.

    You know, for a system so expensive and as little access as you claim, there sure are a lot of hospitals and clinics in just about every area. And there are still folks who come here to avoid the waiting time in their own country.
    There are quite a few, but they are expensive and restrictive. Americans pay more for and have less access to healthcare than anyone else. We have all sorts of tech, but less you're rich you ain't really gonna get it. And guess who's "coming here to avoid the waiting time..."; it ain't the poor.

    So yeah, there are places where there are long waits, you know why that is? Because people can use the medical services provided! Yeah, there are things to fix in those structures too, in order to ensure proper and timely service. But we shouldn't try to solve the problem by restricting people from care. If people can use medical care, if we can start catching problems early, it saves the entire system money. Waiting till it blows up and then people have to use the emergency room is expensive.

    A true universal healthcare system helps us all and provides a necessary base level of healthcare for all citizens.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •