View Poll Results: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 81.82%
  • No

    8 8.08%
  • Maybe

    9 9.09%
  • Don't know

    1 1.01%
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 312

Thread: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

  1. #151
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is not only my problem, it is everyone's problem. I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that in a civilized society that trained professionals, such as the police, are duty bound to protect citizens from such harm, and due to their better training are better able to judge when methods such as lethal force should be used. Leaving that up to citizens is the law of the west.
    What's the law of the west? Another example of dime store. Novel history history

    The police cannot be everywhere at once and sometimes there may not be enough officers to handle all calls. If you want security without owning a gun give these folks a call

    Private Security Firm - Threat Assessment Systems | Gavin de Becker & Associates

    Seriously too, citizens protecting themselves at the moment of harm is not "the law of the west" whatever the hell that is
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  2. #152
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,244

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Providing health care to indigents via the emergency room is one of the most inefficient and expensive ways to provide care, especially because people tend to wait until their condition is severe before seeking treatment. That is why a properly designed universal health care system should save money in the long run.
    The only problem is our political culture, in Europe it saves money because they hire executives and trust them to run the system, in the US we'd be hearing about death panels and tyranny, so we'd probably have 6 different review boards, a congressional committee, and the suppliers for the system must be based in the committee chairs home district, and they'd have to use 17.59% green power and buy Artwork made by Native American trans women and host a committee to eliminate the use of styrafoam cups which reports to the associate assistant acting deputy undersecretary of the efficiency department.

    So will it save us money? Maybe not ... If done properly it will save tens of billions
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

  3. #153
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I was poking fun a bit. But our current system is rather broken, actually. America pays more for and has less access to healthcare than any other advanced country. So there's lots of room for improvement.
    Heh, yeah. But that last, not really true. Though there's always going to be room for improvement.

    You know, for a system so expensive and as little access as you claim, there sure are a lot of hospitals and clinics in just about every area. And there are still folks who come here to avoid the waiting time in their own country.

  4. #154
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    27,719

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I was poking fun a bit. But our current system is rather broken, actually. America pays more for and has less access to healthcare than any other advanced country. So there's lots of room for improvement.
    But nobody wants to address the real causes of health care failure because those causes are major political contributors.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Lame argument.
    Protecting your self from harm is not the wild west.
    People today do it all the time. They are not living in the wild west.
    I disagree in the strongest terms. If police protection is ambiguous, then citizens must rely on a wild west shoot em up for their protection. Again, such ideas put the burden of providing for the safety of individual citizens into the hands of those citizens themselves, some who may behave responsibly, and some who may not. I would suggest unfortunate, unjust incidents like this are a result of the flawed thinking that you advocate.

    White man who shot dead black teen at gas station in argument over loud rap music is convicted of first-degree murder
    White man who shot dead black teen at gas station is convicted of first-degree murder | Daily Mail Online

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    A right to your natural life without government interference unless deprived by due process.
    That is what you have.
    I disagree with you again in the strongest terms. Governments are established amongst men to interfere in their affairs. If a government did not interfere in the affairs of men, it would be useless. Moreover, philosophers such as Rousseau, and indeed even the founders of this country have acknowledged that men are endowed with natural rights, one of which is the right to life. And because such a right does indeed exist, the right of a person to live trumps the right of a hospital to not provide emergency treatment to the poor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    If that was the purpose of the legislation you would have a point. All that is, is you trying to attach meaning it doesn't have.
    Regardless of the intent of any such legislation, or even the existence of such legislation, IF a government forces a hospital to provide emergency treatment to the poor, it is justified in doing so because of the patient's right to life.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    What's the law of the west?
    For an example, please see my first response to Excon in this post

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1064437621

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I think that in any advanced and civilized society, that yes even the poor deserve and should receive emergency medical care. They are human beings and we have the means and capacity to help them. And if we’re such a “Christian” nation, how could it be any other way? In general, I think we should have a for real universal healthcare system that is open to all citizens and provides some amount of basic medical care.
    Agreed. Actually the fact that it is so expensive that no one except the wealthy can afford to pay for it out of pocket indicates that such a universal healthcare system is needed.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    If a regular citizen can be charged for neglecting a human in distress then why not a hospital?
    If that is true, that is a good point.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    It means your life is important to many conservatives until you are born. Then you're on your own.
    That is a far out thing about conservatives these days. They are all about protecting the rights of the unborn, but then when the child gets out of the womb, they don't seem to give a damn. Amazing the state of modern conservatism.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Every human being has the right to life.

    No one has a right to healthcare services.
    Giving emergency health care to the poor, sustains their life, and therefore their right to it.

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •