View Poll Results: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    81 81.82%
  • No

    8 8.08%
  • Maybe

    9 9.09%
  • Don't know

    1 1.01%
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 312

Thread: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

  1. #121
    Guru
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Do you think the poor have a right to life, and therefore emergency medical care?
    I find this a very odd question and would like to know why you ask. If you don't mind.

  2. #122
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,195

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    I say all hospitals should have a lottery system for emergency. You take a number when you walk/crawl/are wheeled in. Every hour on the hour they have a draw. the winner gets first class, Cadillac-style care. The second gets very good care. The third gets emergency care only. Everyone else is shoved out the door.
    But they are free to come in and try their luck again.

    And every once in a while, someone gets the mega jackpot. That means they get whatever they have fixed and get free plastic surgery to fix any one part of their exterior they ain't gaga about. Plus, they get a massage every 8 hours for the length of their stay AND they get a new iPhone, iPad, Mac and an 'i'Watch.


    Obviously the above is total bull ****.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I find that very often when someone suggest that "Everyone should help out with that." they actually mean that those who work harder and smarter than I should help out more than me or help out instead of me. And then they claim that those "other's" are greedy when they suggest that everyone has an obligation to at least try to do for themselves.
    I would point out that it is not necessarily the case the one person is wealthier than another simply because one has worked smarter or harder.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    I find this a very odd question and would like to know why you ask. If you don't mind.
    To see what other's opinions are and to have a discussion. Perhaps there is something that I could learn. Actually I did learn that the Supreme Court feels that the police are not necessarily obligated to protect someone from physical harm at another citizen's hand. That is a big surprise for me.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,686

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I would say that is very disturbing,
    Nothing disturbing about it.



    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    then that means that the law of the west is in place.

    It means no such thing.


    Maybe you should view it from the spectrum of liability.
    You can not say a citizen is entitled to such because circumstances always vary.
    The police, fire, ambulance may not make it in time or be unavailable, detained etc..
    To create a requirement would create a liability if they were unable to show up and perform.


    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I disagree. The government makes use of private actors all of the time. There is no good reason why it could not make use of hospitals to sustain a person's life.
    The government using private actors does not mean you have a right to them or to other private actors the government isn't using.


    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I agree. Although it has been put forward that the government is not duty bound to protect the lives of its citizens, I would disagree with that because if that is so, then citizens must rely primarily on their own means of protection, even from physical harm from other citizens. And if that is the case, then government is merely facilitating the usurping of the resources of nature by those with wealth. That is not government, that is robbery. Such a government is merely aiding thieves and is not worthy of the name "government."
    Maybe you are not understanding the purpose of a government?
    It is there to govern, not take care of you.
    Last edited by Excon; 03-18-15 at 09:26 AM.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  6. #126
    Guru
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,749

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    To see what other's opinions are and to have a discussion. Perhaps there is something that I could learn. Actually I did learn that the Supreme Court feels that the police are not necessarily obligated to protect someone from physical harm at another citizen's hand. That is a big surprise for me.
    There is so much we don't understand and shouldn't judge unless we have first hand experience and know all the facts.
    Hospitals/the administrative side, should not be allowed to turn anyone away, if in any way possible. I doubt that emergency and other medical personnel need to be told what is right.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Nothing disturbing about it.

    It means no such thing.
    It is rather disturbing to me. All of my life I have never owned a gun. To this day I have not purchased one, partly because I rely on police protection. If I am not guaranteed such protection that is disturbing, because it means that I must primarily rely on my own protection. If the police can merely use their own discretion at protecting citizens from physical harm that may be inflicted on them by other citizens, then citizens are left to their own to discriminate on when they feel that they are being threatened and when they can use deadly force. That is the wild west.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    The government using private actors does not mean you have a right to them or to other private actors the government isn't using.
    If the government forces hospitals to give emergency care to the poor, it is protecting their right to life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Maybe you are not understanding the purpose of a government?
    It is there to govern, not take care of you.
    Although government is not there to babysit, giving people emergency medical gives people a CHANCE to live and be productive.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 03-18-15 at 09:32 AM.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:45 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,686

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is rather disturbing to me. All of my life I have never owned a gun. To this day I have not purchased one, partly because I rely on police protection. If I am not guaranteed such protection that is disturbing, because it means that I must primarily rely on my own protection. If the police can merely use their own discretion at protecting citizens from physical harm that may be inflicted on them by other citizens, then citizens are left to their own to discriminate on when they feel that they are being threatened and when they can use deadly force. That is the wild west.
    That is your problem.
    You should have known for a long time that if you call any emergency service they may not make it to you in time.
    So of course you have to be prepared to take care of yourself.




    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    If the government forces hospitals to give emergency care to the poor, it is protecting their right to life.
    No, it is not protecting any such right.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    There is so much we don't understand and shouldn't judge unless we have first hand experience and know all the facts.
    Hospitals/the administrative side, should not be allowed to turn anyone away, if in any way possible. I doubt that emergency and other medical personnel need to be told what is right.
    I have a friend whose son died from an asthma attack right after he left home to attend one of the most prestigious universities in the country. It is my understanding that he was turned away from one hospital and sent to another because they could not find proof that he had insurance on him. That is what the father said, as I recall. That boy was very smart. It was such a shame that he died in that way.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should hospitals be forced to give emergency care to the poor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    That is your problem.
    You should have known for a long time that if you call any emergency service they may not make it to you in time.
    So of course you have to be prepared to take care of yourself.
    It is not only my problem, it is everyone's problem. I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that in a civilized society that trained professionals, such as the police, are duty bound to protect citizens from such harm, and due to their better training are better able to judge when methods such as lethal force should be used. Leaving that up to citizens is the law of the west.

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    No, it is not protecting any such right.
    I disagree. Citizens have a right to live. If a government forces a hospital to give emergency care to the poor, it is certainly enforcing that right to live. Now one might question is the government being unjust when it forces the hospital to give such care. But I would argue that it is not because the rights of the citizens to live, trump the rights of the hospital to refuse treatment.
    Last edited by MildSteel; 03-18-15 at 09:51 AM.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •