View Poll Results: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    108 49.77%
  • No

    70 32.26%
  • Maybe/not sure

    26 11.98%
  • Other

    13 5.99%
Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 852

Thread: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?[W:296, 650]

  1. #841
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,986

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    I already told you everyone knows love exists. I don't need to see an MRI or conduct a Google search to confirm that. What I'm questioning is whether love can be empirically measured based on some objective standard, like a cubic meter of water at a particular temperature in degrees Celsius. I mean, I read your article, but nowhere did I see it mention anything about a "love unit." I'm not going to say it's impossible, but I've seen no evidence anyone has successfully done this.

    My contention is love is an emotion that can't be quantified because of its subjective nature; no one can state how much love they possess at any given time, but then they know love when they see it. They also know its converse, hate. I'd say Hitler exterminating six million Jews or whatever it was pretty much redlines the hate meter for most folks. But it's not my job to prove your contention. If you've got something to show other than some pretty brain pictures then show it.
    This serves as a perfect example of the utter absurdity of the religious, theists have got this ridiculous idea in their heads and don't give a damn if it's defensible. They're willing to contort reality to fit their idiotic belief rather than just fit their belief to reality and they don't seem to realize that everyone is laughing at their efforts. The fact is, love isn't some magical, mystical thing, it's an electrochemical reaction going on inside the physical brain and nothing else. That doesn't make theists feel good though, it doesn't give them that ego boost and make them feel special so they entirely ignore reality in favor of their idiotic faith.

    Can love be quantified? Sure, to a certain degree. We have no scale for measuring it but the MRI can measure the intensity of the emotion. You wouldn't know that because you have no interest in the reality, you've got your nose stuck in that moronic Big Book of Multiple Choice.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  2. #842
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Wow, quantitative love is the answer to the Iranian nuclear dilemma.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #843
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,423

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    This serves as a perfect example of the utter absurdity of the religious, theists have got this ridiculous idea in their heads and don't give a damn if it's defensible. They're willing to contort reality to fit their idiotic belief rather than just fit their belief to reality and they don't seem to realize that everyone is laughing at their efforts.
    So I mention the slaughter of six million Jews and from that you conclude I'm invoking a religious argument? Wowza! Okay, here's where the laughter enters: Six million Jews (or three million Cambodians or one million Armenians or whatever genocide you want) are murdered, and if we accept your argument on its face it's inconsequential because all we're really talking about is the rearrangement of atoms that con no longer perform their electrochemical reaction. No value whatsoever is placed on the fact that these were living beings with the ability to reason, love, be loved, and suffer. In other words, there is no statement concerning right or wrong, good or bad, or anything like that. We're all just animate matter in a completely nihilistic universe. Is that about the size of it?

    Sorry, but I just can't swallow that argument. The fact that there is such a thing as reason in this universe, regardless of its origin, compels me toward the conclusion that living things should not have to endure unnecessary suffering or loss of life even though they are just an amalgamation of organic matter. If the world were populated with nothing but imbeciles who could only FEEL the whole gamut of human emotions, that moral truth would still hold, IMHO. I mean, it's wholly natural for me to accept a construct that says living things do have rights even if I don't have data to support my reasoning. Most people, I think, hold the same or similar views, regardless of their personal religious beliefs.
    Нава́льный 2018

  4. #844
    Sage
    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,423

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Wow, quantitative love is the answer to the Iranian nuclear dilemma.
    Cephus here seems to think he has the answer to the poll: Iran doesn't have a right to nuclear weapons because, well, there is no such thing as a right. It's an invention pulled from the ether by people who don't have the empirical data to support their claims. Apparently, if you can't see, touch, hear, smell, or taste something, it doesn't exist, unless you can come up with a mathematical theory or model that allows for its possible existence. I've been trying to explain to him some things just can't be quantified, at least not to some empirical standard. Love, I maintain, is one of those things. The concept of love may at first look like nothing more than the useless musings of a stargazer or poet, but philosophers going back to the ancients saw its importance as central to human existence. Whole books have been written about it, and if anyone is serious about arguing in favor of the existence of this thing called a "right" they better consider it. Personally, I wouldn't shed too many tears if Israel turned Iran into a nuclear ash. It's probably a good thing I'm not the one with his finger on the button.
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #845
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,038

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    If America and Israel do, then Iran does as well.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  6. #846
    la résistance

    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,355

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    If America and Israel do, then Iran does as well.
    Iran has the rights - and the obligations - of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) which Iran signed in 1968.

    TREATY ON THE NON-PROLIFERATION OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS (NPT)

  7. #847
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,038

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Iran has the rights - and the obligations - of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) which Iran signed in 1968.

    TREATY ON THE NON-PROLIFERATION OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS (NPT)
    I could care less what they (or Israel did not) sign.

    IMO, if America and Israel has the (moral) right to nukes...so does Iran.
    'What kind of sick and twisted toy factory is this?'
    'We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much, the best of us is washed away.'
    "Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool."

  8. #848
    la résistance

    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,355

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I could care less what they (or Israel did not) sign.
    So ... international law and treaties have no value in your world?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    IMO, if America and Israel has the (moral) right to nukes...so does Iran.
    The NPT is not about moral rights and never was. It is an international legal agreement.

  9. #849
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    01-01-17 @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,207

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Ordinarily I would have said that any nation has the right to have any weapon out there to defend itself. Notice, I said defend itself. I voted no to Iran and any other maniacal and suicidal mideast or Asian country out there. America, Israel, England, France, Germany, and other European nations out there are not suicidal maniacs and would only use nuclear weapons as a last resort to defend their countries. I don't trust Russia at all, but we know they have nuclear weapons. They may not be suicidal too much, but they have aspirations along with the Chinese and Iranians to rule the world. They would stop at nothing to obtain that power.

  10. #850
    Guru
    bicycleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Old Virginny
    Last Seen
    01-01-17 @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,207

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    On the poll percentages above, I count only 32 yes votes that Iran should have nuclear weapons, yet, I count 67 no votes against Iran having these weapons, yet the poll results would have you believe that the majority of posters here on this thread think Iran should have nuclear weapons. Don't tell me this thread is trying to skew the results in favor of an unpopular opinion?

    As of 8:35 AM EST, May 17, 2015, the poll says that 216 people have voted. I count 118. Where are the others, who have supposedly voted? If you are saying that non-members can also vote, I just refuted that by trying to vote while not logged in. I wasn't given any way to vote, without logging in.
    Last edited by bicycleman; 05-17-15 at 08:35 AM.

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •