View Poll Results: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    108 49.77%
  • No

    70 32.26%
  • Maybe/not sure

    26 11.98%
  • Other

    13 5.99%
Page 42 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 852

Thread: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?[W:296, 650]

  1. #411
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,352

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Ohio View Post
    Indeed

    Treaties are not forever and nations can withdraw from the treaty with the same ease with which they ratified it in the past
    Except in this case, where nations cannot just withdraw from the UN and be able to do their own thing, the UN gets to force them to do what the UN wants them to do, just because the UN has power. Apparently, this is fine with some people.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #412
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,352

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    No rights are ever "correct." All rights are the product of agreements among men. The rights of nations under international law have the same pedigree as individual rights.
    Yet there are a lot of people, particularly libertarians, who treat rights as if they are magical, mystical things that exist out there in the ether and apply whether anyone wants them to or not.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #413
    Advisor Robert in Ohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-31-15 @ 07:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    315

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Except in this case, where nations cannot just withdraw from the UN and be able to do their own thing, the UN gets to force them to do what the UN wants them to do, just because the UN has power. Apparently, this is fine with some people.
    Why couldn't a nation withdraw from the United Nations, or withdraw its ratification of the NPT - there are UN members who have not signed the NPT (India, Israel, Pakistan, South Sudan) three of which have nuclear weapons

    You make UN membership sound like involuntary servitude, which it is not

  4. #414
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,352

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Ohio View Post
    Why couldn't a nation withdraw from the United Nations, or withdraw its ratification of the NPT - there are UN members who have not signed the NPT (India, Israel, Pakistan, South Sudan) three of which have nuclear weapons

    You make UN membership sound like involuntary servitude, which it is not
    You didn't read everything that I wrote. I said withdraw from the UN and do their own thing. Clearly, even if Iran left the UN, the UN would fight them having access to nuclear weapons. Whether they belong or not, they are under the de facto control of the UN, for things which the UN considers important (or more realistically, what the U.S. pushes the UN to do). Belonging to the UN isn't involuntary servitude, being a nation that the UN or U.S. doesn't like is.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #415
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    53,038
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You didn't read everything that I wrote. I said withdraw from the UN and do their own thing. Clearly, even if Iran left the UN, the UN would fight them having access to nuclear weapons. Whether they belong or not, they are under the de facto control of the UN, for things which the UN considers important (or more realistically, what the U.S. pushes the UN to do). Belonging to the UN isn't involuntary servitude, being a nation that the UN or U.S. doesn't like is.
    US influence at the UN is surprisingly limited.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  6. #416
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,204

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Except in this case, where nations cannot just withdraw from the UN and be able to do their own thing, the UN gets to force them to do what the UN wants them to do, just because the UN has power. Apparently, this is fine with some people.
    Greetings, Cephus.

    Thankfully this does not apply to us, because our Constitution and Bill of Rights take precedence - so far.

  7. #417
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,352

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings, Cephus.

    Thankfully this does not apply to us, because our Constitution and Bill of Rights take precedence - so far.
    We just think that *OUR* Constitution and *OUR* Bill of Rights applies everywhere. That's incorrect.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #418
    Not liberal/conservative
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,840

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Yeah, well they must begin before they can finish.
    Does Israel really need them to start?

  9. #419
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,204

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    We just think that *OUR* Constitution and *OUR* Bill of Rights applies everywhere. That's incorrect.
    Do they not protect us from having others tell us how to run our Country? I always thought they did.

  10. #420
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,352

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Do they not protect us from having others tell us how to run our Country? I always thought they did.
    Yet we don't respect the laws and Constitutions of other countries, we think we get to tell them how to run theirs. There are far too many people in this country, indeed on this very forum, who are convinced that everyone, everywhere has all the rights that we enjoy in the U.S. They are wrong.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 42 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •