View Poll Results: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    108 49.77%
  • No

    70 32.26%
  • Maybe/not sure

    26 11.98%
  • Other

    13 5.99%
Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 852

Thread: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?[W:296, 650]

  1. #291
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,658

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Ohio View Post
    Not all and if you read my comments on the thread you would understand that my position is simply that it is not the U.S.'s responsibility or right to dictate to the rest of the world about how things should be done in sovereign countries. That is colonialism and we fought a revolution to get out from under the domination of an established world power.
    It depends on how you see it. Actually it is the responsibility of the international community to guarantee security ie protect populations. It is also the responsibility of each and every country to do so.
    Proliferation reduces this security and increases the probability of nuclear war. That is not in doubt. And considering the threats Iran has been want to issue? Or the attacks on American allies and assets,? I think clear and present danger could and probably should be argued.
    Colonialism? Read the definition.

  2. #292
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,658

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    [QUOTE=Montecresto;1064420860]
    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    and you think it is therefore a good reason to condone proliferation?[

    No, it's not, although the CFR has presented an argument for Iranian nuclear weapons. The point is picking and choosing who does and who doesn't. Pakistan is no stable country, but they are a nuclear power.
    There is no problem with prioritizing until the global community is willing to believably guarantee and robustly ensure international security. Demanding anything else is silly, uninformed emnity.

  3. #293
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    When has the US ever TARGETED women and children?

    Seriously, lose the hate OK?

    And get a ****ing education
    Like I said we need a fire hose in here this morning to save the right from combustion. I suppose you think the two cities struck in Japan were unintended bomb drift. You need an education.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  4. #294
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    From an international law perspective, no, since they are a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Attempting to gain nuclear missiles would be a violation of the agreement Iran itself holds itself to. This is the key difference between Iran and Israel that many miss or intentionally omit - Israel is not a signatory to the NPT and therefore is not bound to be nonnuclear.

    Whether or not they have the right is irrelevant to whether or not they will attempt to pursue such capabilities. They want to become a regional hegemon in the Middle East. From both a moral and a practical perspective, Iran's ambitions (if they really exist) should be opposed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  5. #295
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,981

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Like I said we need a fire hose in here this morning to save the right from combustion. I suppose you think the two cities struck in Japan were unintended bomb drift. You need an education.
    How about we lose the rhetoric for once...

    And focus on your lies?

    Please address the post on where you are wrong, and the fact you are terribly ignorant of the facts.
    "Small people talk about people, average people talk about events, great people talk about ideas" Eleanor Roosevelt

  6. #296
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    28,860

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?[W:296, 650]The topic is: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Not each other and not the Holocaust. Let's please drop the flaming and baiting as well and get back to discussing the topic.
    Ricky John Best and Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche
    Micah David-Cole Fletcher
    I have no personal connection to these men. Ricky and Taliesin died and Micah was severely injured because they chose not to sit by silently, instead, they chose to confront hate. My condolences to their families for their tremendous loss and my best wishes to Micah for a full recovery and long, fruitful life.

  7. #297
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    How about we lose the rhetoric for once...

    And focus on your lies?

    Please address the post on where you are wrong, and the fact you are terribly ignorant of the facts.
    Well Moderator intervention rescued you. Let's just conclude that Iran will likely have a nuclear weapon, and that will please some and concern others. Rights have no factor in this at all.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #298
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    55,636

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    i feel this is getting off track, but i can't let slide revisionism that pretends americans in 1940s gave a rat's ass about this, not while they were forcing americans of japanese descent into camps, and the bombs very nearly did not lead to a surrender anyway
    It's been rehashed several times in teh history forum (where it belongs) but, it's worth noting that your logic is poor. We put Japanese into internment camps =/= "F it, nuke them". We weren't perfect, sure, but we weren't the Nazis.





    [later edit] Didn't see the Warning before I replied. My apologies to all.
    “In America we have a two-party system,” a Republican congressional staffer told a visiting group of Russian legislators. “There is the stupid party. And there is the evil party. I am proud to be a member of the stupid party. Periodically, the two parties get together and do something that is both stupid and evil. This is called: bipartisanship."

  9. #299
    Advisor Robert in Ohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-31-15 @ 07:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    315

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    It depends on how you see it. Actually it is the responsibility of the international community to guarantee security ie protect populations. It is also the responsibility of each and every country to do so.
    Proliferation reduces this security and increases the probability of nuclear war. That is not in doubt. And considering the threats Iran has been want to issue? Or the attacks on American allies and assets,? I think clear and present danger could and probably should be argued.
    Colonialism? Read the definition.
    So if it is the will of the international community that the U.S. get rid of its nuclear weapons immediately then we should do it. That sounds like what you are saying.

  10. #300
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Reston, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,031
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does Iran have a "Right" to Nuclear Weapons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert in Ohio View Post
    So if it is the will of the international community that the U.S. get rid of its nuclear weapons immediately then we should do it. That sounds like what you are saying.
    I suspect we would do that if we could be assured others got rid of theirs as well. Elimination of nuclear weapons has been a US goal as far back as Ronald Reagan.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 30 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •