View Poll Results: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • They would be in the same position they are now.

    3 2.80%
  • They would be in a better position.

    67 62.62%
  • They would be in a worse position.

    18 16.82%
  • Other

    19 17.76%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 248

Thread: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,234

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Well, since the question specifically asked if AFRICANS LIVING IN AMERICA weren't descended from slaves, I'll have to assume "They would still be in Africa" isn't an answer to the question. They would be much better off, for the most part. Every ethnic group that immigrated here willingly tends to do better as the generations go by, except for Africans, the only race taken here against their will. And the Africans that did come here willingly tend to do much better economically than the descendants of slaves.

    The obvious conclusion is that they would be doing just as well as anybody else if it wasn't for the method by which their ancestors arrived.
    I disagree. The Africans that have come to America "willingly" are basically traitors to Africa. Why did they move to America? Probably because Africa sucks. And if they have the ability to move to America then we can assume that most of these people come from a background of security and education. The fact that they came to America from Africa tells you that they consider America to be a better place to live than Africa. Most of the people that come from slaves would not have the ability in modern times to move themselves from Africa to America. What percentage of Africans have the ability to just move to America do you think? Less than 1%? It couldnt be many. See for a poor person it is not so easy to just move to another country. Most of these people descended from slaves would be stuck in Africa and their lives would suck because Africa sucks. So the fact that they came to America as slaves and became American is a good thing and has made them better off. Being born in the USA is like winning the lottery. Thanks to slavery these Africans won the lottery.

    What you say is beyond ridiculous. This nonsense about Africans that have come to America willingly tend to do better. Why do you think that is? Can a poor and uneducated African easily move to America? Of course not. So what kind of Africans are coming? Of course they will tend to do better than a minority that underachieves in US society.

    You honestly think that because some black person had an ancestor that was a slave hundreds of years ago is disadvantaged by that? That is absurd. Is this what is wrong with Irish people? Vikings used to like to get hot white Irish slave girls from Ireland and sell them to wealthy Southern Europeans and Muslims. If they were extra hot they would get a nice collar. Ireland was the best source of hot white sex slaves for a long time. Is this why the Irish underachieve?

    edit- It is interesting with the collars. I had the same idea for those guys at Sugardaddy.com. Like expensive collars for high value sugarbabies. And when I read that Vikings did that I kind of felt bad.

    edit- But watch a Charlie XCX clip. Soon young sugarbabies will happily wear collars. It will be a symbol of ease and security. Not something to be ashamed of. And the nicer the collar, the better the contract the sugarbaby has. Why should a sugarbaby be ashamed of her blessings and ease?

    Lets get drunk on the minibar!

    edit- who is to say what is a slave and what is not anyway?



    USA! USA! USA!
    Last edited by spangledbanner; 03-08-15 at 11:55 PM.

  2. #62
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post
    See for a poor person it is not so easy to just move to another country.
    The only sentence of your post I agree with.

    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post
    Most of these people descended from slaves would be stuck in Africa and their lives would suck because Africa sucks.
    Highly subjective and so much depends on your circumstances, which are often not so golden in the USA. For example, I think I'd rather be out with the guys in the bottom picture here:

    Attachment 67181630
    LA welfare line

    Attachment 67181631
    Middle class Africans on a night out, Johannesburg.


    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post
    Being born in the USA is like winning the lottery.
    Quite often the booby prize.
    Being amongst the world's richest nations doesn't make things rosy in the garden for all your citizens. Inequality and social injustice make any nation, rich or poor, suck. No, I wouldn't want to live in most African nations, but I'd equally not want to live in the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post

    Is this why the Irish underachieve?.
    Outrageous claim.
    Should I start with Boyle and Joyce?
    Do you actually know any Irish people? Ever been to Ireland?

    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post
    USA! USA! USA!

    That you have to sell it so much speaks a bundle.

    I actually find the original question a little pointless. As someone has pointed out, they wouldn't be the same people as they wouldn't have been through the intermarriage and the rapes that have made them very different from African Africans. Does anybody really care? Would it not be more pertinent to concentrate on where they are now as a community and where they're going in the future?
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    AA's have benefited from being in the US, even if their ancestors were slaves.

  4. #64
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Booth View Post
    Well, since the question specifically asked if AFRICANS LIVING IN AMERICA weren't descended from slaves, I'll have to assume "They would still be in Africa" isn't an answer to the question. They would be much better off, for the most part. Every ethnic group that immigrated here willingly tends to do better as the generations go by, except for Africans, the only race taken here against their will. And the Africans that did come here willingly tend to do much better economically than the descendants of slaves.
    The obvious conclusion is that they would be doing just as well as anybody else if it wasn't for the method by which their ancestors arrived.


    It's an undeniable fact that the vast majority of the Black people in the USA are the descendents of Blacks who were brought here from Africa as slaves.

    No one can change that essential fact.

    All of the woulda,coulda, shoulda in the world will have zero impact on reality.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles area
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,868

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    I don't see how blacks would have come to be in the U.S. unless they had come here as slaves or indentured servants.

  6. #66
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by spangledbanner View Post
    I disagree. The Africans that have come to America "willingly" are basically traitors to Africa. Why did they move to America? Probably because Africa sucks. And if they have the ability to move to America then we can assume that most of these people come from a background of security and education. The fact that they came to America from Africa tells you that they consider America to be a better place to live than Africa. Most of the people that come from slaves would not have the ability in modern times to move themselves from Africa to America. What percentage of Africans have the ability to just move to America do you think? Less than 1%? It couldnt be many. See for a poor person it is not so easy to just move to another country. Most of these people descended from slaves would be stuck in Africa and their lives would suck because Africa sucks. So the fact that they came to America as slaves and became American is a good thing and has made them better off. Being born in the USA is like winning the lottery. Thanks to slavery these Africans won the lottery.

    What you say is beyond ridiculous. This nonsense about Africans that have come to America willingly tend to do better. Why do you think that is? Can a poor and uneducated African easily move to America? Of course not. So what kind of Africans are coming? Of course they will tend to do better than a minority that underachieves in US society.

    You honestly think that because some black person had an ancestor that was a slave hundreds of years ago is disadvantaged by that? That is absurd. Is this what is wrong with Irish people? Vikings used to like to get hot white Irish slave girls from Ireland and sell them to wealthy Southern Europeans and Muslims. If they were extra hot they would get a nice collar. Ireland was the best source of hot white sex slaves for a long time.
    Is this why the Irish underachieve?





    edit- It is interesting with the collars. I had the same idea for those guys at Sugardaddy.com. Like expensive collars for high value sugarbabies. And when I read that Vikings did that I kind of felt bad.

    edit- But watch a Charlie XCX clip. Soon young sugarbabies will happily wear collars. It will be a symbol of ease and security. Not something to be ashamed of. And the nicer the collar, the better the contract the sugarbaby has. Why should a sugarbaby be ashamed of her blessings and ease?

    Lets get drunk on the minibar!

    edit- who is to say what is a slave and what is not anyway?



    USA! USA! USA!


    You obviously know very little about the Irish.

  7. #67
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    1. There would be far, far less black Americans.
    2. Integration between blacks and the rest of Americans would have occurred softer as it did for other races and ethnicities.

    There are only two races/ethnicities that never wanted to be part of the American experience and American way: Native Americans and Africans brought here as slaves. Those 2 groups remain at the bottom of the economic and social ladder.

  8. #68
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    It's an undeniable fact that the vast majority of the Black people in the USA are the descendents of Blacks who were brought here from Africa as slaves..
    This is not President Obama's ancestry. Even Harry Reid noted he isn't really like the vast majority of black Americans, which is accurate because he definitely isn't, even by heritage.

  9. #69
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    This is not President Obama's ancestry. Even Harry Reid noted he isn't really like the vast majority of black Americans, which is accurate because he definitely isn't, even by heritage.


    That agrees with what I said in my post, where I said that the vast majority of Blacks in the USA are descended from slaves.

    Of course I know that there are exceptions, like President Obama. But he is an exception.

    President Obama's life story is very different from the life story of most Blacks in the USA.

    The history of Black slavery in the USA and its aftermath is a sad story, there's no way to put a good spin on it.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 03-09-15 at 02:45 AM.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    08-25-15 @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    I worked in an area with significant African immigration, and I was a bit shocked at how similar they are to African-Americans, how naturally and smoothly they commingled with African-Americans, the same sort of negative behavior some associate with blacks, such as drug dealing, abusing girlfriends. Too limited a sample to make general conclusions, but I have to say I am now skeptical that slavery had any lasting effect on descendants of slaves and their culture.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •