View Poll Results: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • They would be in the same position they are now.

    3 2.80%
  • They would be in a better position.

    67 62.62%
  • They would be in a worse position.

    18 16.82%
  • Other

    19 17.76%
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 248

Thread: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason to think that Africa, India, or the Aztec Empire would be sporting skyscrapers and smartphones right now if European Colonialism had never occurred. To the contrary --
    You're missing out the interconnectedness of scientific developments that link advances in Africa (writing and numbers) to the Middle East (mathematics and medicine) right up to the expulsion of scholars from Constantinople into Italy that fostered the Renaissance. European Colonialism (and science) was simply the latest stage in scientific development and progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    This isn't really debatable, Africa is a primitive continent. What advances there are came from the outside. American blacks who's ancestors were slaves benefitted from coming here.
    That's because you're not doing a good job of it.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Really what colonies did the United States have in Africa?
    "Colonialism" does not necessarily mean the creation of colonies. Seriously? It means the imposition of foreign will on local populations and their resources, governing, culture,etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Africa had relatively large amounts of food and a fairly pleasant climate (actually slightly cooler than it is now) with early man. One theory I have heard is that a natural selection occurred as man moved out of Africa, where more cooperation and insight was needed to survive in more hostile climates.
    At the same time, however, Africa also has large predators who explicitly view humans as prey animals (Africa is the only continent to still have most of its Ice Age megafauna, in point of fact - every other continent saw them go extinct almost immediately after human beings arrived), and a crapload of parasites and tropical diseases which are adapted to attack human physiology.

    Make no mistake, Africa's retty damn harsh, especially in comparison to many more "temperate" climates.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-09-15 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Africa was more primitive than Europe and much of Asia a thousand yrs ago? Good luck with that.

    China was ahead of just about everyone however, that long ago. And Egypt wasnt doing too badly either, nor the Incas, altho I'd have to check dates for the Incas a little more closely.
    I think you need to spend some time reading. And yes, Africa was more primitive a thousand years ago, it still is.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    At the same time, however, Africa also has large predators who explicitly view humans as prey animals (Africa is the only continent to still have most of its Ice Age megafauna, in point of fact - every other continent saw them go extinct almost immediately after human beings arrived), and a crapload of parasites and tropical diseases which are adapted to attack human physiology.

    Make no mistake, Africa's retty damn harsh, especially in comparison to many more "temperate" climates.
    Its true, in most places man was able to hunt them out of existence-but I dont think thats why african cultures didn't flourish. There were always tigers in India, and many similar large animals but they comparatively flourished.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Colonialism" does not necessarily mean the creation of colonies. Seriously? It means the imposition of foreign will on local populations and their resources, governing, culture,etc.
    You see everything through a leftist anti-colonialist lens. Blaming the state of Africa on the US is simply ignorant.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I think you need to spend some time reading. And yes, Africa was more primitive a thousand years ago, it still is.
    I have done alot of reading on it. You appear not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What?? That is pure speculation.
    Not really.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You see everything through a leftist anti-colonialist lens. Blaming the state of Africa on the US is simply ignorant.
    I didnt do that...your extreme rightism forces you to see everything thing with your red-colored bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #170
    Powered by diesel
    EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grapeview, Washington
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,934

    Re: Where would black Americans be if their ancestors had never been enslaved?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Colonialism" does not necessarily mean the creation of colonies. Seriously? It means the imposition of foreign will on local populations and their resources, governing, culture,etc.
    Ok what did the government of the United States do to impose our will on their society?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No one cares about your stupid hippy logic
    "Be careful of averages, the average person has one breast and one testicle"
    -Dixy Lee Ray

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •