View Poll Results: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that's great!

    122 63.87%
  • No

    16 8.38%
  • No, and I blame liberals

    6 3.14%
  • Other

    47 24.61%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 127

Thread: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

  1. #91
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    PETA goes after everything from meat eating to fur wearing to people who crate their dogs. That doesn't make what happens to elephants and the cruelty that is their life any better or worse. The circus elephants were horrifically treated, and those that are in it still are. There are no positives to circus elephants for the elephants themselves.
    Well Tres we will have to agree to disagree on this one. For I refuse to believe every elephant who was bred to be a performer in the circus is being abuse. Does it happen? Yes. Should the abuser be prosecuted? Yes. But because of sensitivities of opinions that training elephants to do tricks isn't a reason to ban them in general. Because if this continues, what you don't see abusive someone else might and ban that too.
    Last edited by vesper; 03-09-15 at 04:44 PM.

  2. #92
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well Tres we will have to agree to disagree on this one. For I refuse to believe every elephant who was bred to be a performer in the circus is being abuse. Does it happen? Yes. Should the abuser be prosecuted? Yes. But because of sensitivities of opinions that training elephants to do tricks isn't a reason to ban them in general. Because if this continues, what you don't see abusive someone else might and ban that too.
    Huh? I don't understand your last sentence. What does it mean?

    Elephants aren't naturally inclined to stand on their heads. There are no elephants bred to be circus performers. You can't breed that into them. They are wild animals who live in very large very structures packs, and who roam many miles per day. They also have fears.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  3. #93
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
    Eventually circuses and zoos will be the last 'safe' place for many of the worlds great creatures.
    Zoos... fine. Sucks, but that is how it has to be... Circuses are a disgrace though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #94
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Huh? I don't understand your last sentence. What does it mean?

    Elephants aren't naturally inclined to stand on their heads. There are no elephants bred to be circus performers. You can't breed that into them. They are wild animals who live in very large very structures packs, and who roam many miles per day. They also have fears.
    Tres.....elephants are born in captivity for the sole purpose of being circus performers. Elephants for that purpose have been reproduced in this country for hundreds of years. These animals if released in the wild would not survive. Circus life is all they know. Now I know you have a problem with the tricks they are taught. Fine. Some of us find it fascinating that a beast that size can be trained to do such things. But then again I also find it amazing that they can train a dog to sniff out drugs or open the fridge and grab a beer and take it to his master.

  5. #95
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Well Tres we will have to agree to disagree on this one. For I refuse to believe every elephant who was bred to be a performer in the circus is being abuse. Does it happen? Yes. Should the abuser be prosecuted? Yes. But because of sensitivities of opinions that training elephants to do tricks isn't a reason to ban them in general. Because if this continues, what you don't see abusive someone else might and ban that too.
    I see training them to perform as the abuse...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #96
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I see training them to perform as the abuse...
    Some people agree with you. Some people think it is abusive to cage an animal even a pet at home. Some think it is abuse to cut the gonads off an animal because the owner doesn't want the humping on the legs of others. Everyone has an opinion.

  7. #97
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Tres.....elephants are born in captivity for the sole purpose of being circus performers. Elephants for that purpose have been reproduced in this country for hundreds of years. These animals if released in the wild would not survive. Circus life is all they know. Now I know you have a problem with the tricks they are taught. Fine. Some of us find it fascinating that a beast that size can be trained to do such things. But then again I also find it amazing that they can train a dog to sniff out drugs or open the fridge and grab a beer and take it to his master.
    I know that elephants are bred for the circus. I'm not sure what that has to do with what I've been posting?

    Of course they can't be released back into the wild. But that also isn't relevant to what I've been posting. They shouldn't be bred for circuses. They shouldn't be used in circuses. Elephants don't do well in circuses, whether they are captured for it or bred for it.

    I would think it's fascinating to watch red ants devour a baby, which they have the capacity to do. I don't know that that would make it right though.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  8. #98
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Some people agree with you. Some people think it is abusive to cage an animal even a pet at home. Some think it is abuse to cut the gonads off an animal because the owner doesn't want the humping on the legs of others. Everyone has an opinion.
    Agreed... although my opinion is the correct opinion, for your information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #99
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Some people agree with you. Some people think it is abusive to cage an animal even a pet at home. Some think it is abuse to cut the gonads off an animal because the owner doesn't want the humping on the legs of others. Everyone has an opinion.
    I don't know of anyone who thinks it's cruel to neuter an animal. Especially when it's performed by a trained medical professional. PETA thinks crating dogs is cruel but there is also no scientific evidence to support that. There is scientific evidence to support the claims about elephants in circuses.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. ~W.C. Fields

  10. #100
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Do You Support Ringling Bros' Decision To Remove Elephants From The Circus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Agreed... although my opinion is the correct opinion, for your information.
    Whatever you say!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •