View Poll Results: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I support all of my political party's positions.

    41 27.15%
  • No. I support only those idem with which I agree and openly oppose those with which I disagree

    18 11.92%
  • Yes. I have help my breath and suppoted things just out of party loyalty.

    51 33.77%
  • I ignore issues I disagree with when its my party that is advancing it.

    41 27.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Some examples:

    - You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

    - You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 02-28-15 at 06:05 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Loyalty suggests active support, rather than going along with the party that opposes something you are diametrically opposed to. Hillary Clinton is a good example. I don't want a hawk for a president. But I don't want a warmonger even more. So I'll support her over just about any Republican, especially the religious fanatics who actually want to start WW3 with Islam.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #3
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Generally, for me, it's the lesser of all evils and avoidance of individuals who are loathsome. As a result, since I always vote, I occasionally support someone or some party that has some positions I don't support. As I paraphrased in another thread, perfect is the enemy of the possible. If you wait for perfect, you'd never vote, and I'm not the type to leave elections up to other people.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,356

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Some examples:

    - You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

    - You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.
    Of course it makes it easier that I am not affiliated with a party.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,356

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Generally, for me, it's the lesser of all evils and avoidance of individuals who are loathsome. As a result, since I always vote, I occasionally support someone or some party that has some positions I don't support. As I paraphrased in another thread, perfect is the enemy of the possible. If you wait for perfect, you'd never vote, and I'm not the type to leave elections up to other people.
    There are a few positions that make an otherwise preferred candidate unvoteable

  6. #6
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Screw parties. I care about parties only insofar as they support what I support. When they don't, I openly and vocally oppose them.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #7
    User CarmelZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Little America
    Last Seen
    03-01-15 @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    11

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Loyalty suggests active support, rather than going along with the party that opposes something you are diametrically opposed to. Hillary Clinton is a good example. I don't want a hawk for a president. But I don't want a warmonger even more. So I'll support her over just about any Republican, especially the religious fanatics who actually want to start WW3 with Islam.
    I think it's a massive mistake for the (true) Left to lend support to Hillary, even if it's out of realpolitik pragmatism. The Green Party is the worst of the available evils by a long stretch and, if a proper grass-roots movement were possible and more people with actual Leftist leanings did not succumb to the position you're advocating, the Party could revolutionize American politics.

    We'll be stuck in this (one) two-party system forever if the energy shown by movements like Occupy is never channeled onto the political stage.

  8. #8
    Formerly ModerateGOP
    NeverTrumpGOP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Post-Trump America
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    10,624
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Some examples:

    - You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

    - You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.
    For me I'm a loyal party supporter. I like all the people in the party besides for the few nutters who just want to bring it down. I have political friends in high places throughout the country. I'm not an advocate. I don't work for campaigns or donate to politicians. In fact, I am dead set against donating, personally. I don't vote on social issues. I would never vote for a Democrat. I can stomach the party's religious fanatics because I wouldn't be able to stomach the Democrats'.

    So I tend to ignore when Republicans go against whatever it is I believe in. Ditto on Democrat side.
    Last edited by NeverTrumpGOP; 02-28-15 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarity
    There's no greater irony than a Trump supporter pointing out hypocrisy; Unless it's Trump himself.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,690

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Some examples:

    - You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

    - You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.
    Depends on how you define "support". I don't give time or money to candidates with whom I generally disagree but I have voted for people because they were "the lesser of two evils".

    Come to think of it, I also cooked a veggie burger special for my current congressional rep but I generally disagree with her on quite a bit of stuff.

  10. #10
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

    Some examples:

    - You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

    - You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.
    If one adopts a certain political position because of the 'party's' position, they are dumb. On the other hand, if you support a party because they mostly represent your position, although you may disagree on a few important issues, that seems fairly reasonable. One should never undermine their conscience due to the opinions of the masses, but it makes perfect sense for one to seek to protect their interests through party support, even if they don't agree with everything. If that party, however, begins to lose it's appeal, one should have no shame in leaving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •