View Poll Results: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

Voters
561. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    287 51.16%
  • No

    59 10.52%
  • Maybe

    135 24.06%
  • Don't know

    80 14.26%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 337

Thread: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

  1. #21
    User CarmelZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Little America
    Last Seen
    03-01-15 @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    11

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Capitalism was certainly an improvement from the feudal mode of production that it superseded. Feudalism was too an improvement from the slave society that it replaced. Modes of production have consistently, since the fall of the hunter-gatherer society, fostered hatred and a brutish competition for resources. Capitalism has taken competition and bloodthirstiness familiar to humanity and expanded its scope to the national stage. Facilitated by the rise of the modern nation state and the corporation, human relations have been commodified, and the profit motive has subjugated large swathes of the globe's population. When compared to the ethical standards of past systems, capitalism looks rather neat and humane, just as feudalism would look when compared to slavery. Only someone guileless could claim that capitalism is objectively humane, considering its expansion led to colonialism, both World Wars, and continued imperialism to this day.

    Capitalism has modernized the world in spectacular fashion. But with that has come much bloodshed, despair, and oppression. We could rather harness the technology that exists today and channel it into creating a vastly superior system.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Although there are indeed differences in life, the response "taking money from people" does not address the fact that capitalism creates huge imbalances in wealth, more than the type of socialist systems that people have been conditioned to abhor.
    So what? Forcing everyone to be equal doesn't take any real skill. It's a simple matter of having enough force to do it.

    Of course socialist systems have to deal with differences in people, and in fact, one of the great flaws of communism is that it is based on the naive premise that somehow or another humans will evolve into this species in which greed will be abolished. However, that does not take away from the fact that capitalism creates an environment in which the destructive quality of greed can develop to a greater degree in society in general, than it otherwise would in a more socialist system. And because of this greater degree of greed, a greater degree of hate manifests itself in the minds of people in general. That is one of its flaws. The question is whether its flaws outweigh its advantages.
    Oh please, in a socialist system the leaders greed is all that matters. You don't eliminate greed by stomping people down to keep them all equal.

    I love people with dreams, but you got to make a plan to get there and realize that nothing is perfect no matter what. Capitalism improved peoples living standards more than any other system known to man and that includes socialism that can do nothing but feed off the fruits of other systems. Socialism is a parasite that causes societies to stagnant and become dependent on growth coming from government. Socialism takes the life blood out of capitalism and anything it comes into contact with.

  3. #23
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity. However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others.

    As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?
    No. Actually capitalism is the perfect match to natural human behavior. Therefore capitalism, managed by laws and social ethics, is the best system one can hope for.

    Your argument seems to rely on a false notion that hatred in the human race is a new phenomenon. It isn't. On the contrary, capitalism is a system that is established to enrich all participants ideally, whereas socialist/communist systems are established precisely due to the reason you cite which is greed and hatred (of the successful).

  4. #24
    Black Is Smart
    Van Basten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The New New Frontier
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 07:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    4,661

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    No. Actually capitalism is the perfect match to natural human behavior. Therefore capitalism, managed by laws and social ethics, is the best system one can hope for.

    Your argument seems to rely on a false notion that hatred in the human race is a new phenomenon. It isn't. On the contrary, capitalism is a system that is established to enrich all participants ideally, whereas socialist/communist systems are established precisely due to the reason you cite which is greed and hatred (of the successful).
    And envy most of all.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarmelZ View Post
    Capitalism was certainly an improvement from the feudal mode of production that it superseded. Feudalism was too an improvement from the slave society that it replaced. Modes of production have consistently, since the fall of the hunter-gatherer society, fostered hatred and a brutish competition for resources. Capitalism has taken competition and bloodthirstiness familiar to humanity and expanded its scope to the national stage. Facilitated by the rise of the modern nation state and the corporation, human relations have been commodified, and the profit motive has subjugated large swathes of the globe's population. When compared to the ethical standards of past systems, capitalism looks rather neat and humane, just as feudalism would look when compared to slavery. Only someone guileless could claim that capitalism is objectively humane, considering its expansion led to colonialism, both World Wars, and continued imperialism to this day.

    Capitalism has modernized the world in spectacular fashion. But with that has come much bloodshed, despair, and oppression. We could rather harness the technology that exists today and channel it into creating a vastly superior system.
    @bold: Call us when that system comes into existence, should be a grand old time. But, for now, it doesn't exist.

    Also, colonialism/imperialism in the rawest sense were around long before any modern notions of a capitalist framework. The love of empire is an old one for mankind.
    Last edited by Van Basten; 02-28-15 at 07:19 PM.
    "We have more responsibility than power, I think. The newspaper can create great controversies, stir up arguments within the community or discussion, can throw light on injustices....just as it can do the opposite. It can hide things and be a great power for evil." -- Rupert Murdoch, 1968

  5. #25
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity. However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others.

    As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?
    One thing that Capitalism does is perpetuate hate filed leftist propaganda.

  6. #26
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,770

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Capitalism causes wealth and greed causes wealth, but that doesn't mean that capitalism causes greed. Everyone has a good half and an evil half. Greed is part of human nature, with or without capitalism.

    Capitalism causes wealth and jealousy causes hatred, but does wealth cause jealousy? No, just like greed, jealousy is part of human nature.

    Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?-pol-socialism-1-jpg
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  7. #27
    User CarmelZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Little America
    Last Seen
    03-01-15 @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    11

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?-pol-socialism-1-jpg
    A more appropriate picture for what a socialist would say would be: stop perpetuating conditions that result in systemic racism, vastly unequal opportunity, laborers earning less than they're worth, the environment being ravaged in pursuit of profit, indigenous cultures being obliterated, oligarchy, plutocracy, war and unhappiness on a global scale due to the mundaneity and lack of meaning of labor itself.

  8. #28
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity. However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others.

    As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?
    Haven't people always sucked?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism creates huge imbalances with some people having no wealth at all. That is a problem.
    What we call poor in modern America is a standard of living that poor people from times prior to capitalism would have killed for.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Income does not necessarily translate into an increased standard of life. First of all I have known people who made good money, but spent more than their income could reasonably support and who therefore ended up miserable. Not only that, but I make way more money than my mother's father, but he had a very nice 80 acre farm and was self sufficient. As far as hunger goes, perhaps people are better fed than were the barbaric people of Europe thousands of years ago, but the simple natives in Florida had plenty to eat. It was only when the cruel Europeans showed up and enslaved them did they start to experience a decline in their standard of living. Disease, part of the problem is that so many diseases have occurred like diabetes that are the result of overindulgence as the result of the capitalist lifestyle. And as creature comforts go, capitalism has resulted in enormous filthy slums filled with disease all over the world. For instance, the Israelis have kept over a million Palestinian people in a large slum where raw sewage flows in the street.



    Indeed it is my perception and it is based on the reality that capitalism is about making money, and making money is not centered on empathizing with people. I remember when I was young and was struggling in sales. I used to empathize with people when they would tell me things like "O, I am on a budget." This expert told me, look you are not going to sell anything like that. One of two things happens when a you encounter a prospective customer, either you will convince them to buy it, or they will convince you that they cannot. Making money is not about empathizing with people.
    That's their fault, not the fault of the system.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •