View Poll Results: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

Voters
561. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    287 51.16%
  • No

    59 10.52%
  • Maybe

    135 24.06%
  • Don't know

    80 14.26%
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 337

Thread: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

  1. #241
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Absolutely. Giving people what they need for there sustenance without requiring them to work for it only encourages unnecessary dependence. That said, there may be some instances such as when someone is disabled where that might be necessary.
    The problem that I have with the current "safety net" system is that it is based on the Federal Poverty Level (FPL). The FPL is based on household size while pay for productive work (aka wages) is not - often that means that the taxpayer is on the hook for the difference if even one person in that household does some "work activity" even if that is only taking a part-time class or "looking for" work.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #242
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Where did I say that the government was not doing that?
    Perhaps I misunderstood your statement.

    "government also has a responsibility to see to it that those who engage in productive work, such as cleaning garbage, are able to provide themselves with the basic necessities."

    It seems to me the government has been doing this. I asked the question because it appeared you were suggesting the government is not doing this.

  3. #243
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Straw man? Interesting. Likely an alt account.

    Regardless, capitalism is based on the notion of the private ownership for the sake of profit in economic transactions. That requires getting out more in the form of capital than one puts in. Greed is based on the notion of the desire to have more than one has. As such, capitalism leverages greed. It is not a straw man.



    Selfishness is based on the desire to possess things to the exclusion of others. This mentality of exclusion breeds hatred of others. Therefore the assertion that selfishness produces hatred of others is not foolish.



    It is a logical premise based on sound rational reasoning. Nothing that you have said has refuted the assertion.

    I'm going to assume you know what a straw man is. You started with a failed premise. You are correct about the structures that capitalism is founded on and also that it encourages productivity. That's why we live in a prosperous nation and it's also the reason that all communist and socialist systems now include degrees of capitalism. Simply put, capitalism works and the rest of the economic systems have come to rely on it for sustainability. Capitalism does rely on self interest, which is different than greed. Greed is an emotive term and not applicable to your premise. Under your theory, selfishness is the same as the right to private property. This is a narrow-minded view of private property.

    Upon reading your original post I am reminded of a particular word that I haven't heard in a long time. Hooey.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  4. #244
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,952
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    More garbage.
    Hardly.

    You pose a question with your preconceived notion of the answer you want to heard to have your opinion reaffirmed.

    There are others who don't share that opinion, challenge your and your question, and you dismiss out of hand, because it's not the answer that you want, yet continue to dress this up as a 'discussion' rather than a mere demand for reaffirmation of your opinion.

    Not my fault that the truth aren't the answers that you want them to be.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    An irony is most people have never actually had any substantive encounter with actual rich people. I have a lot of rich family and they're not even really accessible to the general public. Most people think if you wear more than a few Polo Brand shirts you're rich, or some other idiocy. What most people fail to realize is actual rich people don't wear brands that are financially accessible to you and me. They wear $85 plain white T-shirts and that's the stuff they expect to get stained. A Polo Brand shirt is pure crap to them. They burn that stuff after age 12 and graduate to much more expensive brands that, ironically, the average person doesn't even know exist and wouldn't know what they were looking at. Most people don't know the brands that rich people wear because they've never heard of them and never will. So they classify some poor guy in a $35 on sale Polo Brand shirt as a "rich guy" (which would absolutely appall and ignite hilarity among actual rich guys).

    The sad truth is the people your average person thinks are rich aren't rich, they're upper class wearing upper class brands. Upper class is not rich. That's another problem. People don't know the class system and structures of their own country. To your average person any notion that there are actual "tiers" and "classes" is simply too much mental work for them and they get offended yet still think they're experts on who's rich and who isn't via clothing even though they're clueless on class structure.
    Last edited by Ryan5; 03-03-15 at 10:43 AM.

  6. #246
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Perhaps I misunderstood your statement.

    "government also has a responsibility to see to it that those who engage in productive work, such as cleaning garbage, are able to provide themselves with the basic necessities."

    It seems to me the government has been doing this. I asked the question because it appeared you were suggesting the government is not doing this.
    As I recall you asked whether to government was protecting the private property rights of people who clean garbage.

    But regardless, to the point. yes the do it to a certain extent. I think more can be done in that regard, specifically providing a greater quality education among other things.

  7. #247
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Capitalists aren't immune to human rights violations in pursuit of their greed!

    Resistance evidently licensed disproportionate retaliation. When crushing opposition in Ceylon in 1818, the British killed over 1% of the population. Thirty years later not a single European on the island perished in the only insurrection worthy of the name. But 200 alleged rebels were hanged or shot, and more were flogged or imprisoned. Governor Eyre's reprisals after the Morant Bay uprising in Jamaica followed the same pattern. In the wake of their disastrous retreat from Kabul in 1842, the British meted out enough retributive homicide to earn the perpetual enmity of Afghanistan. Burma, Kenya and Iraq were subjugated with equal violence. After the Indian mutiny soldiers such as Garnet Wolseley did much to fulfil their vow to spill "barrels and barrels of the filth which flows in these niggers' veins for every drop of blood" they had shed. During the South African war the British allowed a sixth of the Boer population, mostly children, to die in concentration camps.

    Deny the British empire's crimes? No, we ignore them | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

    https://www.opendemocracy.net/articl...british_empire
    PEOPLE...be greedy. They also be pathetic, envious, jealous, whiney, etc.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I'm going to assume you know what a straw man is. You started with a failed premise.
    No the premise is not false.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    You are correct about the structures that capitalism is founded on and also that it encourages productivity. That's why we live in a prosperous nation and it's also the reason that all communist and socialist systems now include degrees of capitalism. Simply put, capitalism works and the rest of the economic systems have come to rely on it for sustainability. Capitalism does rely on self interest, which is different than greed. Greed is an emotive term and not applicable to your premise.
    And that is where you are wrong. There is an inherent notion of greed involved in self interest, although you might not realize that. Capitalism advocates the notion of private ownership of resources for the sake of profit. It leverages greed, because the notion of private ownership involves the exclusion of others, which means that someone wants resources that he does not want others to have. Therefore because capitalism thus promotes the notion that persons can exclude others from access to resources that are in nature, i.e. the person wants something that he does not want others to have, for the sake of profit, it does indeed leverage greed and selfishness.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    Under your theory, selfishness is the same as the right to private property. This is a narrow-minded view of private property.
    No it is not the same. That is simply your distorted view of what I have said. But there is certainly an element of greed and selfishness that is inherent to the notion of the ownership of private property for the sake of profit and I have said why that is so.

  9. #249
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Everyone has productive work that they can contribute. They are not failures when they do so. Of course you may need to believe that for the sake of your ego, but it is not true.
    ego has nothing to do with it and some people are net drains on society and those are not contributors but looters



  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Hardly.
    No it was garbage. And furthermore, although I tried to avoid it, I went off topic to discuss what could be done for the sake of discussing with you. The result was a question that totally disregarded what I said. It is like discussing with a wall.

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •