View Poll Results: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

Voters
561. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    287 51.16%
  • No

    59 10.52%
  • Maybe

    135 24.06%
  • Don't know

    80 14.26%
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 337

Thread: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

  1. #211
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:16 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,948

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Capitalism hasn't done this, it's been greed that's the culprit. We have corporations run by a select few individuals who are so hell bent on profit that they have completely destroyed ecosystems, food systems, social systems, political systems, and everything that relates to well being of life on this planet.

    This consumer capitalist era needs to end, badly. We're way past due. We're also well overdue for some kind of major revolution, to adjust the corporate power structures that are destroying everything. Our laws and Constitutions only pertain to government, and business firms have found ways around them on a global scale. That needs serious correction.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    While I would admit that it's an involved discussion, I suspect that all you want here in this thread is a reaffirmation of your basic premise which is that capitalism causes an increase in hatred in humans, and frankly, I think that's not the case. The people will bring to capitalism what's in their hearts and minds. Capitalism doesn't cause humans to hate, nor to love, nor to empathize, or not. How do you justify the attributing an emotional response to an economic system?
    Since you don't believe me, here's what Adam Smith had to say

    “Wherever there is great property there is great inequality. For one very rich man there must be at least five hundred poor, and the affluence of the few supposes the indigence of the many. The affluence of the rich excites the indignation of the poor, who are often both driven by want, and prompted by envy, to invade his possessions.”
    Many experts have observed that capitalism creates vast income inequality

    The thing is, capitalism runs on profits. And profits are optimized when they’re monopolized. A good capitalist will try to monopolize the means of production therefore maximizing profits. And when profits are monopolized then you are very likely to get inequality because only a handful of people own the means of production. So capitalism has a natural tendency towards monopolization because capitalists naturally want to maximize profits.
    Is Wealth and Income Inequality Inevitable in a Capitalist System? | Pragmatic Capitalism

    Marx also noted that because capitalists want to maximize profit, they are motivated to keep wages as low as possible. The result is income inequality.

    So, there is indeed support to the notion that capitalism produces vast income inequality.

    There is also support to the notion that income inequality is on the rise. Here is something from Pew Research

    Emmanuel Saez, an economics professor at UC-Berkeley, has been doing just that for years. And according to his research, U.S. income inequality has been increasing steadily since the 1970s, and now has reached levels not seen since 1928.
    U.S. income inequality, on rise for decades, is now highest since 1928 | Pew Research Center

    At the same time there is a rise in the number of hate groups

    Fed by antagonism toward President Obama, resentment toward changing racial demographics and the economic rift between rich and poor, the number of so-called hate groups and antigovernment organizations in the nation has continued to grow, according to a report released Wednesday by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

    The center, which has kept track of such groups for 30 years, recorded 1,018 hate groups operating last year.

    The number of groups whose ideology is organized against specific racial, religious, sexual or other characteristics has risen steadily since 2000, when 602 were identified, the center said. Antigay groups, for example, have risen to 27 from 17 in 2010.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/us...port-says.html

    So at the very least there is a correlation in the rise in hate groups and the rise in income inequality.

    The OECD report explicitly links income inequality to resentment

    Inequality also raises political challenges because it breed social resentment and generates politcal instability.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=ci...ntment&f=false

    So there you go. There is indeed support to the notion that capitalism has increased hatred.

  3. #213
    User hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    06-01-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    136

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    It is lack of capitalism that causes hatred.

    Socialist economies consist of a vast population that is barely hanging on except by practicing graft and corruption rules by a small politically connected class of bureaucrats and government officials stealing whatever they can lay their hands on. So the old Warsaw Pact nations, so Venezuela, so Cuba.

    And, sadly, increasingly so Western Europe and the USA.

    The pooer the country, the less capitalistic, the more hatred smolders beneath the surface.

  4. #214
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity. However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others.

    As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?
    1. "Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity." This a straw man. Capitalism is an economic system which allows people to trade their capacity for production into goods and services they want or need. It's the only successful economic system which mankind has created.

    2. "However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others." This is foolish psycobabble. Greed can be a negative force but it can also be force which drives people to succeed. It's the way the fruits of greed are applied that determines it's value.

    3. "As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?" An illogical premise based on a logical fallacy.
    Last edited by sawdust; 03-02-15 at 11:04 PM.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  5. #215
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism creates huge imbalances with some people having no wealth at all. That is a problem.
    That is simply a lie. Capitalism creates the opportunity for success. PEOPLE create the opportunity to have no wealth at all. NO ONE in a capitalist system benefits from crippled and dependent pets. They are counterproductive to a capitalist system.

  6. #216
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism creates huge imbalances with some people having no wealth at all. That is a problem.
    yeah and communist countries have no poor




  7. #217
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    I see leftwing morons who are not members have jacked this poll



  8. #218
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism creates huge imbalances with some people having no wealth at all. That is a problem.
    If one contributes an appetite then do they deserve to be rewarded with a meal?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #219
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    yeah and communist countries have no poor

    I wonder if he is smart enough to see that it is not a system that encourages industry, creativity, and growth that creates hatred but jealousy, pettiness, and fiscal penis envy.

  10. #220
    User hobgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Last Seen
    06-01-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    136

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Venezuela: paradise on earth...as long as you like your paradise without toilet paper.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •