View Poll Results: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

Voters
561. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    287 51.16%
  • No

    59 10.52%
  • Maybe

    135 24.06%
  • Don't know

    80 14.26%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 337

Thread: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Unregulated, predatory capitalism, no doubt. The protections and regulations installed during the FDR administration gave rise to a four decade growth of a strong middle class. But deregulation and 30+ years of Reaganomics have eroded those gains.
    I think that is true. Those types of programs demonstrate the type of results that can be produced when capitalism is properly balanced with programs based on sharing and social responsibility. However, I would put forward, that if such programs are not accompanied by a very strong emphasis on proper education and an elevation of the role of the teaching profession, then such programs will lead to unnecessary government dependence.

  2. #162
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism is the product of greed. And it is for this reason that it creates an environment that is conducive to the development of greed.
    You STILL refuse to state what you claim existed before capitalism for which people were less hateful.

    Your poll question has if capitalism has INCREASED hate. What was hate increased from?

  3. #163
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It does not inherently promote hatred or empathy. What it does, by its intrinsic nature, is to create an environment that is favorable to the development of hatred, more so than systems that are based on the ideas that resources should be shared. This is because capitalism places an emphasis on increased production for increased personal profit in terms of capital. As such it intrinsically requires increased consumption to drive such increases in production. As a result of this people must be conditioned to constantly increase their consumption of goods. This results in increased competition for scarce resources, which results in an increase in greed. This increase in greed in turn produces an increase in hatred, more so than a system that is centered on the notion that resources should be shared.
    Capitalism may very well increase competitive pressures, but it still leaves people to chose how to react to those competitive pressures. The finest in the human being is brought out in the crucible of competition.

    As you seem to be opposing the capitalistic system, what other system would you put in place other than that one? None of the other systems has proven themselves to be more effective and more efficient.
    Disinformation campaign? The Russian collusion meme pushed by the 'news' media, behaving as a political propaganda organ, hell bent to destroy a legitimately elected president to implement his agenda per the votes of the same electorate. Reference The Big Lie Reference Goebbels

  4. #164
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It does not inherently promote hatred or empathy. What it does, by its intrinsic nature, is to create an environment that is favorable to the development of hatred, more so than systems that are based on the ideas that resources should be shared. This is because capitalism places an emphasis on increased production for increased personal profit in terms of capital. As such it intrinsically requires increased consumption to drive such increases in production. As a result of this people must be conditioned to constantly increase their consumption of goods. This results in increased competition for scarce resources, which results in an increase in greed. This increase in greed in turn produces an increase in hatred, more so than a system that is centered on the notion that resources should be shared.
    POOF! Share the magically appearing "resources." And THEN you continue to advocate the benefits of poverty.

  5. #165
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,803

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Capitalism leverages the greed in humans to fuel productivity. However, greed is based on selfishness, which produces hatred of others.

    As such, has the advance in capitalism resulted in an increase in hatred in the human race?
    Maybe more self education for you regarding the US economic system would be in order.

    The US economic system is a laissez-faire system that uses profit as the motivation for business creation and success.

    The fact that there are some participants who are driven by greed, rather than profit, is an indictment of human nature rather than the US business system.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    You STILL refuse to state what you claim existed before capitalism for which people were less hateful.

    Your poll question has if capitalism has INCREASED hate. What was hate increased from?
    Relative to systems that are based on the notion of sharing and social responsibility.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Capitalism may very well increase competitive pressures, but it still leaves people to chose how to react to those competitive pressures.
    That is true. However the competitive pressure is centered on the notion of how to increase profit for the individual, ans a s such it creates an environment that is conducive to the development of greed which produces hate.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The finest in the human being is brought out in the crucible of competition.
    It depends on what the competition is centered on. If people are constantly under pressure to compete for scarce resources just to survive, then the best in individual is not brought forward. Rather it develops into a destructive rat race if mechanisms are not put in place to instill a sense of sharing and social responsibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    As you seem to be opposing the capitalistic system, what other system would you put in place other than that one? None of the other systems has proven themselves to be more effective and more efficient.
    In my opinion the discussion of alternatives should be left for another thread. Even one thread devoted to this topic is not sufficient.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    POOF! Share the magically appearing "resources." And THEN you continue to advocate the benefits of poverty.
    What is your point?

  9. #169
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It is the product of the desire to be free to pursue profit which is a product of greed.



    The assertion that I have put forward is based on rational reasoning and is backed by observation. As I said earlier, one only need to look to the rise in the sentiment that the government should not use tax money to provide increased educational opportunities and health care for those who are less fortunate for evidence that this is taking place.



    If that is a concern of yours start a thread and we can talk about it.
    I totally agreed with your assertion that the desire to be free to pursue profit is because of greed. According to the dictionary, greed is the "intense and selfish desire for something". Is it the intense part of greed or the selfish part of greed you disagree with more?

    So you only want to hammer home the idea that there is a problem, you don't actually want to present a solution. Got it.

    In my experience, someone in sales such as you claim, who is not motivated by more commissions is likely a poor salesmen. How is that for "rational reasoning" that is "backed by observation"?

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Has capitalism increased hatred in the human race?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Maybe more self education for you regarding the US economic system would be in order.

    The US economic system is a laissez-faire system that uses profit as the motivation for business creation and success.

    The fact that there are some participants who are driven by greed, rather than profit, is an indictment of human nature rather than the US business system.
    The notion of individual profit is based on having taking more capital from a transaction than one put in. As such the element of greed is present.

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •