View Poll Results: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 74.66%
  • No

    9 6.16%
  • Maybe

    27 18.49%
  • Don't know

    1 0.68%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia? [W:41]

  1. #21
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,078

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The Eurasian project would have fused European and Russian resources into a formidable union that would rival the economic power of the U.S. and thus would have severely eroded though not entirely destroyed the power of the U.S. dollar.
    Putin's Eurasian Economic Union (EEC) was never intended to merge with the EU. It was intended to economically compete with the EU. This is why Putin considered it critical that Ukraine join his EEC rather than join the EU. His union of economic lightweights (Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Armenia) cannot even pretend to compete with the 28 member EU without Ukraine.


    Ukraine, Moldova, and Georgia sign the EU Association Agreement in Brussels. June 27, 2014


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Faith can be a wonderful thing, but not when it's misplaced in Government.
    Indeed, and I don't advise it.

    That said, what I have put forward here is not as far fetched as you would have others to believe. What Putin was about to do with his Eurasian Union was link the natural resources of Russia with the economic resources of Europe. It would have formed a very formidable union that would, at the very least, rival the U.S. in economic power, and would have likely surpassed it. Although the dollar would have still been a force to be reckoned with, its power would have been substantially eroded. As I see it, Europe currently has strong dependencies on the U.S., namely economic and military. Economically speaking, European banks depend on the U.S. to bail them out in case of a liquidity crisis. This was demonstrated when in the crash of 2008, the Federal Reserve rescued the European banks from their liquidity crisis by letting European banks swap their sovereign currencies for U.S. dollars. If the Fed had not done so, the would have been doomed to failure. If Putin's vision where allowed to materialize, that dependency would be gone, and U.S. economic and political influence in Europe would have been severely eroded. The dollar, would have thus lost a significant portion of its power.

    That is not a far fetched notion. Therefore, in a certain respect, Obama has likely saved the dollar.

  3. #23
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Indeed, and I don't advise it.
    ....Obama has likely saved the dollar.



    I'm guessing you don't see the issue but it's funny non the less!
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpleχity View Post
    Putin's Eurasian Economic Union (EEC) was never intended to merge with the EU.
    I did not say merge with the EU. What I mean is that he wanted to link the natural resources of Russia with the economic resources of Europe. A glimpse of this can be seen in the relationship that Russia had with Germany. Germany exports its goods to Russia, Russia exports their energy to Germany. Putin wanted to take that to a new level. It is a very strong concept.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Can we put this Obama accomplishment of saving the US Dollar up there with his Nobel Peace Prize?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I'm guessing you don't see the issue but it's funny non the less!
    Like I said folks, believe the opposite.

  7. #27
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Like I said folks, believe the opposite.
    Because you say so.... a compelling argument.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #28
    Invictus


    Rogue Valley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,078

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I did not say merge with the EU. What I mean is that he wanted to link the natural resources of Russia with the economic resources of Europe. A glimpse of this can be seen in the relationship that Russia had with Germany. Germany exports its goods to Russia, Russia exports their energy to Germany. Putin wanted to take that to a new level. It is a very strong concept.
    The overarching external economic purpose of the EEU is increased trade relations with China and the ten member ASEAN bloc. The EU is incidental to this core objective.


    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. -- Marine Corps General James 'Chaos' Mattis

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Because you say so.... a compelling argument.
    Well there is no use discussing with a COIN, but nonetheless

    Growing damage from Russia's financial crisis on neighboring former Soviet states could bury President Vladimir Putin's dream of creating an economic union to rival the United States and European Union.
    ...........
    The Kremlin saw Ukraine, the third biggest economy behind Kazakhstan and Russia in the Commonwealth of Independent States, a loose grouping of 11 former Soviet republics, as a vital member of the new union.

    But after Crimea was annexed by Russia in March last year and Moscow supported separatists in eastern Ukraine, the country's central bank chief, Valeriia Gontareva, summed up Kiev's position toward Moscow.

    "As a person I am really happy about what's happening with the Russian rouble," she said in December. "But as a central bank head it can't make me happy, as Russia remains an important trade partner."
    .......
    Russia's financial crisis may bury Putin's Eurasian dream | Reuters

    Transactions in dollars and euros could be banned within the member-states of the Eurasian Economic Union (EEU) — Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Armenia, the Izvestia newspaper reported on Tuesday.

    The EEU countries could switch to national currencies (ruble, Belarusian ruble, Kazakhstani tenge and Armenian dram) in mutual payments by 2025-2030, the chairman of the board of directors of Russia’s National Payment Council, Alexander Murychev told the newspaper.

    “It is necessary to raise a question before the national banks of the member-states on excluding the US dollar and the euro from interstate payment transactions,” said Murychev, detailing a concept for the EEU development, which was unveiled during a meeting in Kazan on Friday.
    ...
    TASS: Economy - Eurasian Economic Union set to abandon dollar, euro

    Not only did Obama screw Russia, he screwed Europe as well, but they don't have a choice. They were forced to go along with it. That's why Victoria Nuland said f the EU. Obama plays a rather shrewd game.

    Weaker Russian economy is extremely unprofitable for Itary, former head of the European Commission, Italy’s former Prime Minister, Professor of Economics Romano Prodi told Messaggero newspaper.

    Lowered prices in the international energy markets have positive aspects for the Italian consumers, who pay less for the fuel, but the effect will be only short-term. In the long-term however the weaker economic situation in countries producing energy resources, caused by lower oil and gas prices, mostly in Russia, is extremely unprofitable for Italy, he said.

    “The lowering of the oil and gas prices in combination with the sanctions, pushed by the Ukrainian crisis, will drop the Russian GPD by five percent per annum, and thus it will cause cutting of the Italian export by about 50%,” Prodi said.

    “To let alone uselessness or imminence of the sanctions, one should highlight a clear skew: regardless of the rouble rate against dollar, which is lower by almost a half, the American export to Russia is growing, while the export from Europe is shrinking.”
    Weaker Russian economy is extremely unprofitable for Italy - Romano Prodi | Russia & India Report

  10. #30
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did Obama save the dollar by taking western Ukraine from Russia?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well there is no use discussing with a COIN, but nonetheless



    Russia's financial crisis may bury Putin's Eurasian dream | Reuters



    TASS: Economy - Eurasian Economic Union set to abandon dollar, euro

    Not only did Obama screw Russia, he screwed Europe as well, but they don't have a choice. They were forced to go along with it. That's why Victoria Nuland said f the EU. Obama plays a rather shrewd game.



    Weaker Russian economy is extremely unprofitable for Italy - Romano Prodi | Russia & India Report
    Very nice, however not linked to Obama saving Western Ukraine. Go back to your magic 8 ball and ask again....

    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •