View Poll Results: Should we be arming Islamic rebels?.

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    23 43.40%
  • NO!

    11 20.75%
  • OTHER, please explain.

    19 35.85%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

  1. #41
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Yes it is older JH but note what it states about the Islamist Character and this was back in 2013, but it points out what the Problems were all along and from their beginning. I'm not saying you aren't Right with the Secularists leading from those that betrayed Assad.



    The Islamist character of the opposition reflects the main constituency of the rebellion, which has been led since its start by Syria’s Sunni Muslim majority, mostly in conservative, marginalized areas. The descent into brutal civil war has hardened sectarian differences, and the failure of more mainstream rebel groups to secure regular arms supplies has allowed Islamists to fill the void and win supporters.

    The religious agenda of the combatants sets them apart from many civilian activists, protesters and aid workers who had hoped the uprising would create a civil, democratic Syria.....snip~
    2013 is too late. In early 2012 the secularists were very much in charge.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    2013 is too late.
    Not really JH as it points out.....the Secularists never had a chance.



    As extremists rose in the rebel ranks, the United States sought to limit their influence, first by designating Nusra a terrorist organization, and later by pushing for the formation of the Supreme Military Council, which is linked to the exile opposition group, the Syrian National Coalition. Although led by an army defector, Gen. Salim Idris, the council has taken in the leaders of many overtly Islamist battalions. One called the Syrian Liberation Front has been integrated nearly wholesale into the council; many of its members coordinate closely with the Syrian Islamic Front, a group that includes the extremist Ahrar al-Sham, according to a recent report by Ms. O’Bagy, of the Institute for the Study of War.

    In the past, United States officials saw the Islamist groups’ abundant resources as the main draw for recruits, said Steven Heydemann, a senior adviser at the United States Institute of Peace, which works with the State Department. “The strategy is based on the current assessment that popular appeal of these groups is transactional, not ideological, and that opportunities exist to peel people away by providing alternative support and resources,” he said. Mr. Heydemann acknowledged, however, that the current momentum toward radicalism could be hard to reverse.

    We all want an Islamic state and we want Shariah to be applied,” said Maawiya Hassan Agha, a rebel activist reached by Skype in the northern village of Sarmeen. He said a country’s laws should flow from its people’s beliefs and compared Syrians calling for Islamic law with the French banning Muslim women from wearing face veils.....snip~

  3. #43
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Not really JH as it points out.....the Secularists never had a chance.



    As extremists rose in the rebel ranks, the United States sought to limit their influence, first by designating Nusra a terrorist organization, and later by pushing for the formation of the Supreme Military Council, which is linked to the exile opposition group, the Syrian National Coalition. Although led by an army defector, Gen. Salim Idris, the council has taken in the leaders of many overtly Islamist battalions. One called the Syrian Liberation Front has been integrated nearly wholesale into the council; many of its members coordinate closely with the Syrian Islamic Front, a group that includes the extremist Ahrar al-Sham, according to a recent report by Ms. O’Bagy, of the Institute for the Study of War.

    In the past, United States officials saw the Islamist groups’ abundant resources as the main draw for recruits, said Steven Heydemann, a senior adviser at the United States Institute of Peace, which works with the State Department. “The strategy is based on the current assessment that popular appeal of these groups is transactional, not ideological, and that opportunities exist to peel people away by providing alternative support and resources,” he said. Mr. Heydemann acknowledged, however, that the current momentum toward radicalism could be hard to reverse.

    We all want an Islamic state and we want Shariah to be applied,” said Maawiya Hassan Agha, a rebel activist reached by Skype in the northern village of Sarmeen. He said a country’s laws should flow from its people’s beliefs and compared Syrians calling for Islamic law with the French banning Muslim women from wearing face veils.....snip~
    We gave the secularists no choice and no option by failing to support them.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  4. #44
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,944

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Precisely my point. If you don't have terrorists, you don't have a War on Terror and the associated profit stream. Ergo, it is prudent marketing to arm terrorists wherever you can find them or gin some up. The USA has for years been arming Islamic rebels in Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and who knows where else. Somalia even. Keerist mon, it's "jus' bidness" to quote the First Torturor, GW Bush.
    Yup, we created and perpetuated this "war on terror" in order to keep our multi-billion arms industry alive.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    We gave the secularists no choice and no option by failing to support them.
    There wasn't enough of them. Check this out from 2011. Note all these Groups. Even the Kurds were included.




    Opposition groups in Syria took a new turn in 2011 during the Syrian civil war as they united to form the Syrian National Council (SNC), which has received significant international support and recognition as a partner for dialogue. The Syrian National Council has been recognised or supported in some capacity by at least 17 member states of the United Nations, with three of those (France, United Kingdom and the United States) being permanent members of the Security Council.

    A new opposition umbrella group — the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces — was formed in November 2012 and has gained recognition as the "legitimate representative of the Syrian people" by the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf (CCASG) and as a "representative of aspirations of Syrian people" by the Arab League.

    The National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces is a coalition of opposition groups in the Syrian civil war. It formed on 11 November 2012 at a conference of opposition groups held in Doha, Qatar. It includes organisations such as the SNC. Islamic preacher Moaz al-Khatib serves as the president of the coalition, Riad Seif and Suheir Atassi were elected vice presidents. Mustafa Sabbagh is the coalition's secretary-general.....snip~

    Syrian opposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  6. #46
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    There wasn't enough of them. Check this out from 2011. Note all these Groups. Even the Kurds were included.




    Opposition groups in Syria took a new turn in 2011 during the Syrian civil war as they united to form the Syrian National Council (SNC), which has received significant international support and recognition as a partner for dialogue. The Syrian National Council has been recognised or supported in some capacity by at least 17 member states of the United Nations, with three of those (France, United Kingdom and the United States) being permanent members of the Security Council.

    A new opposition umbrella group — the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces — was formed in November 2012 and has gained recognition as the "legitimate representative of the Syrian people" by the Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf (CCASG) and as a "representative of aspirations of Syrian people" by the Arab League.

    The National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces is a coalition of opposition groups in the Syrian civil war. It formed on 11 November 2012 at a conference of opposition groups held in Doha, Qatar. It includes organisations such as the SNC. Islamic preacher Moaz al-Khatib serves as the president of the coalition, Riad Seif and Suheir Atassi were elected vice presidents. Mustafa Sabbagh is the coalition's secretary-general.....snip~

    Syrian opposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Had they received timely support they would have attracted more recruits. They would have had a chance.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Had they received timely support they would have attracted more recruits. They would have had a chance.
    Even if they did receive the Support from us.....note ALL the groups. Also note especially the Muslim Brotherhood, which we know they aren't Secularists.

    Check out post 15 and 16 in this thread from 2 years ago.


    The National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces is a coalition of opposition groups in the Syrian civil war. It formed on 11 November 2012 at a conference of opposition groups held in Doha, Qatar. It includes organisations such as the SNC. Islamic preacher Moaz al-Khatib serves as the president of the coalition, Riad Seif and Suheir Atassi were elected vice presidents. Mustafa Sabbagh is the coalition's secretary-general.

    The Syrian National Council, a coalition of Syrian opposition groups based in Istanbul, formed in 2011 during the Syrian civil war. Key people include chairman as of 2013 George Sabra, and former chairmen Burhan Ghalioun and Abdulbaset Sieda.

    Muslim Brotherhood: Islamist party founded in 1930. The brotherhood was behind the Islamic uprising in Syria between 1976 until 1982. The party is banned in Syria and membership became a capital offence in 1980. The régime of Bashar al Assad, and others[who?], have accused the Muslim Brotherhood of being key players in the Syrian uprising that escalated into a civil war. Other sources have described the group as having "risen from the ashes", "resurrected itself" to be a dominant force in the uprising. Current leader is Ali Sadreddine Al-Bayanouni......snip~

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle...-w-90-a-2.html

    Syrian opposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Maybe we should put that Hit Out on Ali Sadreddine Al-Bayanouni......so that MB knows exactly what their Future is going to be like. Let them Know.....we are coming for their Ass.

    Even here in the US.....they have no place to hide anymore. No rock they can crawl under for safety.

  8. #48
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Even if they did receive the Support from us.....note ALL the groups. Also note especially the Muslim Brotherhood, which we know they aren't Secularists.

    Check out post 15 and 16 in this thread from 2 years ago.


    The National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces is a coalition of opposition groups in the Syrian civil war. It formed on 11 November 2012 at a conference of opposition groups held in Doha, Qatar. It includes organisations such as the SNC. Islamic preacher Moaz al-Khatib serves as the president of the coalition, Riad Seif and Suheir Atassi were elected vice presidents. Mustafa Sabbagh is the coalition's secretary-general.

    The Syrian National Council, a coalition of Syrian opposition groups based in Istanbul, formed in 2011 during the Syrian civil war. Key people include chairman as of 2013 George Sabra, and former chairmen Burhan Ghalioun and Abdulbaset Sieda.

    Muslim Brotherhood: Islamist party founded in 1930. The brotherhood was behind the Islamic uprising in Syria between 1976 until 1982. The party is banned in Syria and membership became a capital offence in 1980. The régime of Bashar al Assad, and others[who?], have accused the Muslim Brotherhood of being key players in the Syrian uprising that escalated into a civil war. Other sources have described the group as having "risen from the ashes", "resurrected itself" to be a dominant force in the uprising. Current leader is Ali Sadreddine Al-Bayanouni......snip~

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/middle...-w-90-a-2.html

    Syrian opposition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Maybe we should put that Hit Out on Ali Sadreddine Al-Bayanouni......so that MB knows exactly what their Future is going to be like. Let them Know.....we are coming for their Ass.

    Even here in the US.....they have no place to hide anymore. No rock they can crawl under for safety.
    By November 2012 it was already too late. The secularists' moment was in the first third of 2012.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    By November 2012 it was already too late. The secularists' moment was in the first third of 2012.
    I know ....but what also was taking place. Was the MB's plans and protests. Which caused the Defections within Assad's Side. Which that goes back even before 2010.

  10. #50
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Backing for 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels: Long Reported, Continually Forgotten

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I know ....but what also was taking place. Was the MB's plans and protests. Which caused the Defections within Assad's Side. Which that goes back even before 2010.
    The secularist defectors from Asad's forces were not motivated by the MB.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •