View Poll Results: Well?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a liberal: conservatives are evil

    158 46.88%
  • I'm a conservative: liberals are evil

    3 0.89%
  • I'm a liberal: conservatives aren't evil

    23 6.82%
  • I'm a conservative: liberals aren't evil

    136 40.36%
  • Ban Morality Games

    17 5.04%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 222

Thread: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

  1. #61
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    The death, depravity, chaos, and generally self-destructive impulses the Left likes to confuse with "freedom," perhaps.

    Funny thing about that, however. The Left only really seems to respect "choice" so long as the choices made happen fall in line with its own way of thinking.
    Everything you said there can easily be turned around and stated about the "right" as well.

    Generally speaking, the “conservative platform” of more individual freedom, smaller government, less government intrusion is just a pack of lies and/or feel-good words.

    Anyone who chooses to do something, or behave in a way that’s not goose-stepping right along with the conservative/religious paradigm is “evil”.
    Anyone who doesn't believe what you believe, and anyone who doesn't act like you act is “evil”.

    Perhaps a working definition of "evil" is required.
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Your faith in the moral equivalency of the various political perspectives is misplaced. Conservatives and libertarians are focused only on their own, personal, welfare. Liberals, however, are concerned with everyone's.
    What a bull**** generalization to make. There are plenty of compassionate libertarians and conservatives. Likewise, there are plenty of selfish liberals.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsalvania
    Last Seen
    03-20-16 @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Your faith in the moral equivalency of the various political perspectives is misplaced. Conservatives and libertarians are focused only on their own, personal, welfare. Liberals, however, are concerned with everyone's.
    That's not true. Conservatives belief that what's best for the individual, and best for the corporation will rise all boats. They genuinely believe this. And they believe the answer to poverty is hard work. I don't think they intentionally want to **** people over. They believe less taxation opens the door for people to invest their own money, and for businesses to invest in their people. This certainly isn't the case as evidence shows, especially in an economic system where capital overrides all other goals (focus on the shareholder above all else).

    The problem with this thinking (and I say this as a former conservative who used to believe this) is that while a high tide rises all boats, not everyone has a boat.

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    Your faith in the moral equivalency of the various political perspectives is misplaced. Conservatives and libertarians are focused only on their own, personal, welfare. Liberals, however, are concerned with everyone's.
    Other than all those people they step on.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,561

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Continued growth in the size and cost of government.
    Continued growth in the needless government interference into people's lives.
    Continued growth of dependency on government.
    Continued support and growth of protected classes that really don't need it (hate crimes are already crimes after all).
    Continued support and promotion of excessively politically correct idiotic policies

    Just what I can name off of the top of my head.
    Honestly, I can't tell if you're talking about democrats or republicans here.

    Both parties have contributed greatly to everything you've posted.
    Wastin' time, like it was free - Godsmack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.

  6. #66
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Continued growth in the size and cost of government.
    Continued growth in the needless government interference into people's lives.
    Continued growth of dependency on government.
    Continued support and growth of protected classes that really don't need it (hate crimes are already crimes after all).
    Continued support and promotion of excessively politically correct idiotic policies

    Just what I can name off of the top of my head.

    It sad that people still don't understand the distinction between a crime and a hate crime.

    There is a difference between an opportunist who mugs anybody within reach.

    And a culprit who only mugs white men and women because he holds some sort of hate for their race.

    One is simply a thug. The other is something else. Hate, Bigotry, and violence to a specific set of people make the crimes different. Often times more violent than it would be if the only intention is to, simply, get something and then flee.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  7. #67
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    That's an interesting definition of "evil."


    As long as there are people on this planet who take pleasure in harming other people we will need a government that is capable of dealing with those people.




    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan
    Last edited by shrubnose; 02-26-15 at 01:31 PM.

  8. #68
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,947
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Anyone who thinks that all members of any group are evil based upon the actions of some members of that group is a bigot.

    Does anyone disagree with that?

    Now that we've put this BS out of the way maybe we can move on to some important issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinthaniel View Post
    It sad that people still don't understand the distinction between a crime and a hate crime.

    There is a difference between an opportunist who mugs anybody within reach.

    And a culprit who only mugs white men and women because he holds some sort of hate for their race.

    One is simply a thug. The other is something else. Hate, Bigotry, and violence to a specific set of people make the crimes different. Often times more violent than it would be if the only intention is to, simply, get something and then flee.
    Crime vs. Hate Crime

    The mugger of white women is a mugger first, as that crime is committed first. I see no need to clog up the already over burdened legal code with special attributes just to make someone else feel better. The legal code isn't there for that purpose. Punish the mugger more to the severe end of the mugger scale, absolutely. In dire need of a special statute special just for muggers of white women? Hardly required.

    We've got 1st degree murder statues. And then we've got 1st degree hate crime murder statues. Both are punishable by life imprisonment. What sort of sense does that make? It's little more than a 'feel good' statute, and utterly pointless. Charge'em with murder, put the punishment at life imprisonment, and be done with it already.
    the Fix-is-in Bureau of Investigation

  9. #69
    Guru
    Zinthaniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    09-19-17 @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,705

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Crime vs. Hate Crime

    The mugger of white women is a mugger first, as that crime is committed first. I see no need to clog up the already over burdened legal code with special attributes just to make someone else feel better. The legal code isn't there for that purpose. Punish the mugger more to the severe end of the mugger scale, absolutely. In dire need of a special statute special just for muggers of white women? Hardly required.

    We've got 1st degree murder statues. And then we've got 1st degree hate crime murder statues. Both are punishable by life imprisonment. What sort of sense does that make? It's little more than a 'feel good' statute, and utterly pointless. Charge'em with murder, put the punishment at life imprisonment, and be done with it already.

    When crimes are assessed by law enforcement, i.e Detectives. A hate crime provides entirely different implications. It is an entirely different crime in of it's self.

    The crime was done solely to attack someone because of their immutable characteristic. The vast majority of these crimes are far more violent than any other crime relative to it's form. I.e mugging someone because they are white will be fueled by hatred. The mugging will be more violent - the mugger will persist longer in the beating than he would if he simply wanted to steal and then flee. They also establish further intent to harm others of that same class.

    That is why they have a special status.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    In my own experience here, people seem to ignore a posters professional experience or training if the app pro holds a view that is disagreed with.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsalvania
    Last Seen
    03-20-16 @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Liberals and Conservatives: Are adherents of the rival ideology evil?

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Crime vs. Hate Crime

    The mugger of white women is a mugger first, as that crime is committed first. I see no need to clog up the already over burdened legal code with special attributes just to make someone else feel better. The legal code isn't there for that purpose. Punish the mugger more to the severe end of the mugger scale, absolutely. In dire need of a special statute special just for muggers of white women? Hardly required.

    We've got 1st degree murder statues. And then we've got 1st degree hate crime murder statues. Both are punishable by life imprisonment. What sort of sense does that make? It's little more than a 'feel good' statute, and utterly pointless. Charge'em with murder, put the punishment at life imprisonment, and be done with it already.
    It all comes down to motivation. I see no reason why we shouldn't recognize the motives for a crime. If you beat someone to a pulp because you want to steal his car, vs. beating someone to a pulp because they are gay, the motivations are different. We prosecute all sorts of crimes based on motivation. This is nothing new.

    No one should suffer criminal acts against them simply for being and that is what hate crimes address, and why the punishment for such crimes is generally higher.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •