View Poll Results: As a superviser/Manager what would you do?

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Deny him the raise but allow him continued employment.

    3 0.87%
  • 2. Recognize he is a minimum performer,...etc/see post

    1 0.29%
  • 3. Recognize his contributions to the company and offer him higher wages and benefits.

    101 29.36%
  • 4. Recognize he is a victim of an unfair...etc/ see post

    239 69.48%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    according to the right wing politics nobody is equal and some people always have to stay minimum wage workers because they are not smarter ,more intelligent etc...now cant we help them meet their basic needs as a human being ? are they sentenced to wage slavery for a lifetime ?
    Lets see, you are from Turkey. What does giving a worker in the US a raise, deserved or undeserved have to do with anything in Turkey? Last I checked, your upper-end of middle class has less actual wealth, in terms of standard of living, than the minimum wage worker in the US does.

    Perhaps instead of giving that minimum wage worker a raise, we should send that money to Turkey or someplace even worse off?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,092

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Lets see, you are from Turkey. What does giving a worker in the US a raise, deserved or undeserved have to do with anything in Turkey? Last I checked, your upper-end of middle class has less actual wealth, in terms of standard of living, than the minimum wage worker in the US does.

    Perhaps instead of giving that minimum wage worker a raise, we should send that money to Turkey or someplace even worse off?
    I didnt know it was about turkeys .but yes we are cleaning your mess in the ME.yes you owe more than you think
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You seem terribly confused. What is good for business is not necessarily good for society. Or good for their workers. You could make the same argument you are making about safety regulations.
    The stupidity of OSHA is a topic for a different thread.

    Interesting argument. Why not extend that out to mankind? Instead of worry about the self created problems a minimum wage worker in a Liberal state, why not expend the same argument to include a herdsman in Somalia or Zimbabwe? Really, does the plight of a minimum wage worker in California who doesn't better themselves really mean anything more to me than those herdsman? The only real difference I see is that in the case of the worker in California, the government will take money from me and make things more expensive for me to "improve" the life of the Californian. Maybe the best solution for me would be to make all those high cost liberal locations part of another country?

    If a so called "worker" consumes more than they produce, then how are they good for Business or society?

    If what is good for business creates wealth, jobs and opportunity for society, then how is not better for society than expending resources on someone who does not take those opportunities but instead insists that the producer provide for him?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    As a manager, a minimum wage position worker approaches you and asks for a raise. Worker has been in the company for three years. In the work force for 10+ years after high school. Worker has no college, no trade schooling. Worker has only held minimum wage entry level positions during his career. Has never been fired but also has never been graded by supervisor as more than adequate/average, has never been recommended for advancement to higher level/better pay and benefits position.

    As the manager, what would you do?

    1. Deny him the raise but allow him continued employment.
    2. Recognize that he is a minimum performer, a lazy, uneducated, unmotivated, low skill useless POS and send him to unemployment opening the position to new potential workers.
    3. Recognize his contributions to the company and offer him higher wages and benefits.
    4. Recognize that he is a victim of an unfair and unjust society whom the evil owners of companies has oppressed and then offer him CEO wages to perform entry level work at minimum required levels.
    Presuming this is a real-life scenario and not some metaphor for society at-large.

    1) If they've lasted 10 years, they're more than just "minimal". (No mention of mental issues was mentioned.)
    2) Have they been reliable and shown up pretty much every day for those 10 years? If so, at MW, that in and of itself is pretty exceptional.
    3) They've earned a nominal raise. If nothing else, they've saved the company the expense of hiring and training new people on a regular basis.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Sage
    gdgyva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinsburg Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    5,961

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    thats the argument of right-wingers..

    con or lib, right or left....the question is whether or not it is the truth
    “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one's own sunshine.”

    Ralph Waldo Emerson

  6. #36
    Undisclosed
    Unrepresented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    06-12-16 @ 09:05 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,230

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    I'd do the math and determine what the cost of replacement would be in terms of finding an equal or greater employee at their current pay rate. If it's significantly more, pay the employee an appropriate increase to save the costs associated with recruiting, interviewing, training, etc the new equivalent.

    This of course assumes that my business is doing neither extremely successfully nor poorly, which might alter the priorities.
    "The side that stays within its fortifications is beaten." ~Napoleon

  7. #37
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    The stupidity of OSHA is a topic for a different thread.

    Interesting argument. Why not extend that out to mankind? Instead of worry about the self created problems a minimum wage worker in a Liberal state, why not expend the same argument to include a herdsman in Somalia or Zimbabwe? Really, does the plight of a minimum wage worker in California who doesn't better themselves really mean anything more to me than those herdsman? The only real difference I see is that in the case of the worker in California, the government will take money from me and make things more expensive for me to "improve" the life of the Californian. Maybe the best solution for me would be to make all those high cost liberal locations part of another country?

    If a so called "worker" consumes more than they produce, then how are they good for Business or society?

    If what is good for business creates wealth, jobs and opportunity for society, then how is not better for society than expending resources on someone who does not take those opportunities but instead insists that the producer provide for him?
    Clue for you: Somalia and Zimbabwe are not the US. There is a benefit to our society, in the US, to minimum wage laws.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Clue for you: Somalia and Zimbabwe are not the US. There is a benefit to our society, in the US, to minimum wage laws.
    So being born in the US makes a person special somehow? Why doesn't everyone just choose to be born here then?

    Clue for you: What the liberal assholes have done to me personally and to those like me in the last 6+ years gives me a lot of reasons not to like "my fellow Americans" who are of the leftist persuasion. Speaking of leftist, back to rifle/pistol practice for me, see you tomorrow.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #39
    Living in Gods country


    JANFU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    17,942

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That's an obvious observation from a non American....
    How is his nationality relevant or in your opinion, not relevant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Hillary is the only defense I or anyone else needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not once have I showed my dick to a woman and she thought it was creepy. In fact, in 100% of the cases, they were pretty excited about it. I don't know who you're showing your **** too.

  10. #40
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Making a decision on a Minimum Wage Worker.

    Quote Originally Posted by JANFU View Post
    How is his nationality relevant or in your opinion, not relevant?
    Her actually... Medusa is a "her" who lives in Turkey. My semi snarky comment was actually a comment to her, an attempt at showing her the obviousness of the comment with one of my own.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •