View Poll Results: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

Voters
354. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    241 68.08%
  • No

    13 3.67%
  • Sometimes

    100 28.25%
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 246

Thread: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No, I work for a living, you should try it. And stop feeling guilty.
    You don't do a damn thing but whine about the government. What's the matter, you can't make it without trying to put other people down? The fact is that what you just said is a big bunch of BULLS*** that is designed to make yourself feel better because you simply don't have the strength and courage to admit that you have flaws and are no better than anyone else. That's a real sissy.

  2. #192
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    You don't do a damn thing but whine about the government. What's the matter, you can't make it without trying to put other people down? The fact is that what you just said is a big bunch of BULLS*** that is designed to make yourself feel better because you simply don't have the strength and courage to admit that you have flaws and are no better than anyone else. That's a real sissy.
    Hahaha, silly.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Hahaha, silly.
    Yeah right. Bare knuckle, the gloves are off.

  4. #194
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    In addition to my regular job, I have been trying to develop a business. I have noticed two years in a row now that I experience a great boost in sales after people get income tax refunds. Now I realize that in that case, mostly people are simply getting back their own money. But it makes me wonder, does government spending produce economic growth? If I understand them correctly, some say that this is never true. What do you think?
    A government that spends a trillion dollars had to first confiscate that trillion dollars from the public. So you would have to explain how a government spending that money is more stimulative than simply leaving it in the hands of the people.

  5. #195
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Yeah right. Bare knuckle, the gloves are off.
    Sounds like a threat.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    A government that spends a trillion dollars had to first confiscate that trillion dollars from the public. So you would have to explain how a government spending that money is more stimulative than simply leaving it in the hands of the people.
    First of all they don't have to confiscate it from the public, the government has empowered the Federal Reserve which can create money out of thin air. Next of all the million dollar question is what exactly is the public? Is it simply banks and corporations who merely hoard wealth, or is it ordinary people who spend and who through their consumption create economic activity?
    Last edited by MildSteel; 02-25-15 at 08:23 AM.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    First of all they don't have to confiscate it from the public, the government has empowered the Federal Reserve which can create money out of thin air. Next of all the million dollar question is what exactly is the public? Is it simply banks and corporations who merely hoard wealth, or is it ordinary people who spend and who through their consumption create economic activity?
    So you were referring to deficit spending more than just government spending then. Well, sure. There is no way for a government to spend a trillion dollars of debt in a single year and not stimulate significant economic activity. The question is how long it can do that sort of thing before it starts to do more damage to the value of the currency and to future debt obligations than it does good. Right now, while interest rates on our debt are at historic lows, it makes short term sense to run up debt to fuel growth. The problem will come when those interest rates rise and payment on that debt sucks ever more money out of the economy. At that point you will be wishing we hadn't spent as much as we did.

  8. #198
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    A government that spends a trillion dollars had to first confiscate that trillion dollars from the public. So you would have to explain how a government spending that money is more stimulative than simply leaving it in the hands of the people.
    Why do people keep claiming that lie?

    Money can also be borrowed and printed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #199
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Sounds like a threat.
    Sounds like an expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #200
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    So you were referring to deficit spending more than just government spending then. Well, sure. There is no way for a government to spend a trillion dollars of debt in a single year and not stimulate significant economic activity. The question is how long it can do that sort of thing before it starts to do more damage to the value of the currency and to future debt obligations than it does good. Right now, while interest rates on our debt are at historic lows, it makes short term sense to run up debt to fuel growth. The problem will come when those interest rates rise and payment on that debt sucks ever more money out of the economy. At that point you will be wishing we hadn't spent as much as we did.
    Interest rates don't have to rise. The government has a lot to do with the control of wholesale interest rates.

    Interest is the price of money. Things that are in plentiful supply and which can be produced inexpensively aren't expensive. Money can be produced in unlimited quantity at virtually no cost, there is no reason for it to be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •