View Poll Results: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

Voters
354. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    241 68.08%
  • No

    13 3.67%
  • Sometimes

    100 28.25%
Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 246

Thread: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by akrunner88 View Post
    Roads have to be maintained.
    Irrelevant.

    I was speaking directly in reference to the lefts insistence that Stimulus to increase aggregate demand is a sustainable and effective means of growing the economy

    Its not.

  2. #102
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    In addition to my regular job, I have been trying to develop a business. I have noticed two years in a row now that I experience a great boost in sales after people get income tax refunds. Now I realize that in that case, mostly people are simply getting back their own money. But it makes me wonder, does government spending produce economic growth? If I understand them correctly, some say that this is never true. What do you think?
    Since you are specifically asking about growth, can you call it growth if you take it from one place in the economy and give it to another?

    Growth and movement are different concepts.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,324

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The unemployment figures do not lie. Japan's unemployment rate is less than the U.S. If the debt is so bad, then why are the interests rates remaining so low? If it's so bad they should be rising despite central bank efforts.

    The thing that Japan did wrong was raising the national sales tax, to placate people like you. The result is the contraction.



    Greece is different because they don't have their own currency. Instead they have fallen victim to the euro, something that they have no control over. Not only that, but because of people like you forcing austerity on the people of Greece, there unemployment rate has remained high.
    Bull, their economy is on life support and their trapped in a unsustainable debt spiral.

    Maybe you should look past your talking points and do a little objective analysis. But then again if you did that you wouldn't be able to call yourself a Liberal anymore.

    And you think if Greece had their own currency that the would have been able to pull their way out of their mess ?

    Nonsense. They would just be another Argentina or Venezuela who happens to have the highest inflation rate in the world right now.

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Since you are specifically asking about growth, can you call it growth if you take it from one place in the economy and give it to another?

    Growth and movement are different concepts.
    It depends. Going back to my Interstate example, you could say that the initial cost was a "movement", but that the finished product fostered overall growth far beyond what would have happened had none been built.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #105
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,309

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    True enough, but we haven't reached the debt to GDP ratio that Japan's reached just yet.

    I have all the faith in the world that the Democrats if given enough " rope " could and would run up unsustainable levels of debt and they would justify it by saying we needed it to " increase aggregate demand ".

    Silly Liberals. Demand doesn't need to be manipulated directly.
    "all the faith in the world"
    Now, don't ya' know that is exactly what makes the US Dollar work. Faith, the same faith you are talking about. Great stuff. Don't need more backing like gold or silver or anything. Hell mon, faith is adjustable and provides the same backing for $18 Trillion as for 2$. Seems like sumpin' might be slippin' there, eh?

  6. #106
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Government does not “pump capital into any economy”. Government cannot give what it hasn't taken from someone else. Every dollar that government “pumps” into some part of the economy is a dollar that it took out of some other part of that same economy.
    Of course it does and can.

    Where do you think money comes from?
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #107
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by RFR View Post
    But where did the military get the money to pay for the arms? Taxes. just tax as little as possible and people will spend the money on stuff they actully want and thus cause the economy grow even more.
    I'm all for taxing the worker/consumer class less for exactly the same reason you are.

    But not all government spending comes from taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  8. #108
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Printing more money does not create wealth. Money and wealth are not the same thing. Money is a unit by which wealth is measured and exchanged. All that printing more money does is to devalue that money, so that each unit thereof represents less wealth than it did before.
    Of course not (directly). But when more SPENDING is done, more goods and services are produced, and thus more wealth is produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #109
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    I'm all for taxing the worker/consumer class less for exactly the same reason you are.

    But not all government spending comes from taxes.
    True - it could come from printing more money or borrowing and adding to the National Debt.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #110
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: Does governnent spending produce economic growth?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I understand that. It is theft and they redistribute it from the top down. On top of that they manipulate interest rates so people take out loans and capital flows into the market. All of this is false economic growth.
    It's not theft. Theft is illegal, paying your bills isn't illegal, as a matter of fact it's the moral thing to do. Taxation is our government bill.

    As far as interest rates go, they should be very low so that businesses can afford to borrow to fund expansion, and so that consumers can afford to borrow to create demand.

    There is not one single reason that interest rates should be high. Interest is the price of money, money is producible in infinite quantity at virtually no cost. Anything that is available in infinite quantity and which cost virtually nothing to produce, is inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •