View Poll Results: In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    157 81.35%
  • Negative

    18 9.33%
  • Other

    18 9.33%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 124

Thread: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question: do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?


  2. #2
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    So, in net, I would argue his influence was negative. Given his later reversal, however, I consider the man a positive. Hard to admit you were wrong like that.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question: do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?
    I do not see him being a major influence, so I voted other.

  4. #4
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I do not see him being a major influence, so I voted other.
    what he said. cool movie though



  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Last Seen
    07-24-16 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,849
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Meh. He kinda straddled the middle IMO. I tend to respect the nonviolent tactics of MLK more than the violent things Malcom X endorsed, but both were highly influential, intelligent, and irreplaceable in regards to their contributions to the civil rights movement.

  6. #6
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    He was a racist, anti-American piece of ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #7
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He was a racist,
    In his earlier life? Yes. He promoted black supremacy. Later in his life? No. He left that thought and taught equal rights and equality.

    anti-American piece of ****.
    If Malcolm X was "anti-American" then so was MLK.


  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Pennsalvania
    Last Seen
    03-20-16 @ 03:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question: do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?
    I think he provoked a lot of thought and was influential to the civil rights movement. I disagree with many of his actions, but I would say on the whole he was positive. My disagreement with him on certain things withstanding.

  9. #9
    Jokes Are a Cry For Help.
    CMPancake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,961
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TeleKat View Post
    Meh. He kinda straddled the middle IMO. I tend to respect the nonviolent tactics of MLK more than the violent things Malcom X endorsed, but both were highly influential, intelligent, and irreplaceable in regards to their contributions to the civil rights movement.
    In fairness to Malcom X, he preached violence as a response to violence against the Civil Rights movements. He wanted Black Americans to be able to defend themselves from the Police Force that sic dogs on him or the anti-black groups like the KKK that would go after men like Malcom X, and MLK. People see that as a bit more radical but seeing as he group around friends and family getting killed on the virtue of being black. I can understand why he is a controversial figure compared to someone like Martin Luther King Jr. But he isn't the radical extremist revisionists try to paint him to be.
    The GOP loves standards. They love standards so much, they got two of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I say that he [Trump] is the most honest guy to come down the pike in a very long while.

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    In his earlier life? Yes. He promoted black supremacy. Later in his life? No. He left that thought and taught equal rights and equality.


    If Malcolm X was "anti-American" then so was MLK.
    He repackaged his bull**** to make it easier to sell it.

    Allow me to recommend a book for you...


    http://www.amazon.com/Necessary-Spee.../dp/0873487540

    Its the black supremacists's Mein Kampf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •