View Poll Results: In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    157 81.35%
  • Negative

    18 9.33%
  • Other

    18 9.33%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 124

Thread: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Almost every single person in our society has racist attitudes. I'm curious though, how do you explain how so many violent, racist White men are celebrated with very little controversy in our society while Malcolm X is demonized for not even being violent, but for advocating violence in self-defense?
    yes, we all have our racist attitudes to a degree....and you have reminded us of your own.

    as for the celebrated ones...most likely because their positive contributions far outweigh their negative views/actions... and time has a habit of stripping away the bad stuff.
    taking time into context, there's no way you can argue that a white person who supports owning slaves would be widely accepted in the 1960's... they too would be controversial.

    Malcolm X also preached that white people were the devil.... do you also agree with him on that point?.... do you agree with him on the points of black supremacy? how about his view supporting black and white segregation?
    do you also find yourself supportive of every black supremacist group in existence that carries on his teachings?... or do you blame the evil white people for their views as well?

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yes, we all have our racist attitudes to a degree....and you have reminded us of your own.
    Assuming you mean that I have racist attitudes instilled in my by the dominant White society against people of color, I would agree. If you mean that I'm racist against White people, then I find that to be inaccurate and yet a predictable thing for an old White guy to say.

    as for the celebrated ones...most likely because their positive contributions far outweigh their negative views/actions... and time has a habit of stripping away the bad stuff.
    taking time into context, there's no way you can argue that a white person who supports owning slaves would be widely accepted in the 1960's... they too would be controversial.
    If Nat Turner wasn't controversial then I would agree, but many of the same people who praise Washington and other slave owners have a problem with Nat Turner. Both people lived around the same time. Both were violent and yet only one is controversial. In fact, I knew someone who proposed that a public school he was principal for should be called "Nat Turner Elementary School". The name was rejected because Turner was "too violent" even though they had approved schools named after slave owners and White men who slaughtered Native Americans. The way that White people, in general, treat "violent" Black people is extremely different from how they treat their violent White heroes. While it's not surprising that you don't recognize the hypocrisy, it is unforunate.

    Malcolm X also preached that white people were the devil.... do you also agree with him on that point?.... do you agree with him on the points of black supremacy? how about his view supporting black and white segregation?
    do you also find yourself supportive of every black supremacist group in existence that carries on his teachings?... or do you blame the evil white people for their views as well?
    I understand why he said those sings since White people tried to kill his children, bombed his friends' places of worship down, burned crosses on the lawns of his neighbors, lynched people all around him, threatened him with violence and otherwise terrorized him, his family and everyone around while the "moderate" Whites looked on with indifference. However, suffice to say that I'm glad he rose above White people's terrorism at the end of his life and realized that holding such bitterness against them was not the message of God.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    When someone who does not know me asks my personal thoughts on any subject, my first thought usually is 'mind your own business' or 'what's it to you?'.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He was a racist, anti-American piece of ****.
    He is more of an American than the crap you just uttered...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Goodwin?
    I guess a typo invalidates his logic... good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Maybe he should have moved to The Soviet Union? See how they treated him.
    So because there is some place worse that makes how they were treated here ok? Why didn't you say that maybe he should have moved to Canada and see how they treated him instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by CMPancake View Post
    Godwin's law states "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." Mein Kamph is Hitler's manifesto. You compared a book about Malcom X to the manifesto of a genocidal maniac. The fact you would compare the two is absurd.



    Oh grow up, people make errors all the time. Are you going to honestly claim you have spelled everything correctly 100% of the time?
    No... you completely owned him and he looks like a fool. Godd job. Ooops... a typo. That completely invalidates my point, according to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #88
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Positive - without a doubt. I think it's amusingly hypocritical that Malcolm X is viewed as "controversial" while we celebrate slave-owning presidents and "explorers" who slaughtered millions of Native Americans. He's "controversial" because many White people don't like it when Black people step out of their "place" which what Malcolm X made a point to do as often as he could.
    Funny you rush to that conclusion and focus on whitey when it was black people that assassinated him because of his message.

  9. #89
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I guess a typo invalidates his logic... good to know.
    You oughta see the mangled grammar in a couple of his replies to me in this thread. I gotta go back outside or I'd find 'em and quote 'em for you.
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  10. #90
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    You oughta see the mangled grammar in a couple of his replies to me in this thread. I gotta go back outside or I'd find 'em and quote 'em for you.
    That guy is in a class all by himself... you'll get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •