View Poll Results: In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive

    157 81.35%
  • Negative

    18 9.33%
  • Other

    18 9.33%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 124

Thread: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

  1. #71
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Malcolm was an interesting cat. No way of knowing what his influence COULD have become.

    When he strated off he was a hustler. The black cause was a good fit. He bought in. He became almost militant in his rhetoric. Then he went to Mecca. It changed his world. He came a true convert to Islam. He is said to have commented that while in Mecca he looked around and he saw people...black people, white people, Arab people....just people. He realized race wasnt the determinant factor in right and wrong. When he came back his message changed. He scared people. No one knew what to do with him. Well...thats not true...the Nation knew what to do with him...and did it.

    I personally would have loved to have seen where his life and teachings could have taken people.
    Excellent post. You said what I was trying to say, only you said it better.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #72
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Excellent post. You said what I was trying to say, only you said it better.
    I think "Seventh Child" is a pretty decent book on the man. Pretty fair.

  3. #73
    cynical class clown
    Luftwaffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    CONNECTICUT
    Last Seen
    11-18-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Malcolm X was living the shadow of MLK, but I find aspects of what he preached to be absolutely correct.

    I'd love to go to the range with that guy and see what he could do to a target dressed up as KKK or something.

    What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X-malcolmxm1carbine3gr-jpg

    Yeah that'd be a fun time
    Last edited by Luftwaffe; 02-22-15 at 02:44 PM.
    -----MOS 19D = cavalry scout = best damn MOS there is

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question: do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?
    Positive - without a doubt. I think it's amusingly hypocritical that Malcolm X is viewed as "controversial" while we celebrate slave-owning presidents and "explorers" who slaughtered millions of Native Americans. He's "controversial" because many White people don't like it when Black people step out of their "place" which what Malcolm X made a point to do as often as he could.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 02-22-15 at 02:49 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,753

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question: do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?
    I never thought much of him actually. He was quite racist and had an air of violence around him. I never saw that he did anything really to advance the cause of black rights or racial progressiveness. He was more theater than anything else in my view, and inspired spin offs like Oakland's "Your Black Muslim Bakery" with the same bow ties and hats and and gangs. They busted for prostitution and and I believe racketeering as well.

    X's Nation of Islam did nothing but worry people and he was shot by a black man in the end, so that tells you something.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Positive - without a doubt. I think it's amusingly hypocritical that Malcolm X is viewed as "controversial" while we celebrate slave-owning presidents and "explorers" who slaughtered millions of Native Americans. He's "controversial" because many White people don't like it when Black people step out of their "place" which what Malcolm X made a point to do as often as he could.
    he's controversial because he preached hate, racism, and violence.... not because you believe white people think he left his "place".

    most folks agree that preaching hate, racism, and violence are controversial, at the very least....you're seemingly one of the few who do not.

  7. #77
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X (El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz). In American history he is seen as somewhat as a "controversial" figure because some of his rhetoric that included violent undertones. He is also viewed as a controversial figure because he rose to prominence through the Nation of Islam, but in his later life he left the Nation of Islam and its teachings. In your opinion, do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?

    Question:
    do you view Malcolm X as a positive figure in American history, or a negative figure in American history?


    I have never spent any time thinking about the man.

    He has had zero impact on my life.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    he's controversial because he preached hate, racism, and violence
    This would be a sufficient explanation if George Washington, Columbus and other racist, hateful and violent WHITE MEN in our history were as controversial. They aren't. He's controversial because he stepped out of his place as a Black man in a White society. You can accept this or not. Since you're an old White dude, I'm not surprised that you've chosen "not".

  9. #79
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This would be a sufficient explanation if George Washington, Columbus and other racist, hateful and violent WHITE MEN in our history were as controversial. They aren't. He's controversial because he stepped out of his place as a Black man in a White society. You can accept this or not. Since you're an old White dude, I'm not surprised that you've chosen "not".
    I do not accept it.... but I'm a little disappointed you have decided to basically call me a racist

    thanks for that, it's appreciated.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What Are Your Personal Thoughts On Malcolm X

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    I do not accept it.... but I'm a little disappointed you have decided to basically call me a racist

    thanks for that, it's appreciated.
    Almost every single person in our society has racist attitudes. I'm curious though, how do you explain how so many violent, racist White men are celebrated with very little controversy in our society while Malcolm X is demonized for not even being violent, but for advocating violence in self-defense?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •